The Student Room Group

International Student wanna get marry in England

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by why_
she's not gonna be pretty forever, you know?

yeah, that is what I always tell her.

As I said, I didnt say that from my perspective. She wants to do the wedding photos when she is still young. I just want to make her happy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
I don't know how things are done in HK but would you gf not want to have some say in her wedding anyway.

Fair enough to surprise her with the proposal but then to tell her its all booked seems to much to me.

And surely she would need to pick the dress.
Reply 42
Original post by VeniViciVidi
The general gist of your post was all over the place that it's confusing where you want the ceromany. I can tell you, you won't get the impacting advice you are looking for here because we don't know you, what might seem amazing to one may not for another. Take some initiative and do it yourself.

You absolutely misunderstood what I said in my first post and I have already clarify what I mean. That should be the end of it.

Again, if you are not going to help, please leave me alone.
I did get some useful advices from other helpful members.
Reply 43
Seems like u want to get a visa to live here!...please dont marry her for your selfishness!
why dont u marry an international student?
Reply 44
Original post by will0269
I don't know how things are done in HK but would you gf not want to have some say in her wedding anyway.

Fair enough to surprise her with the proposal but then to tell her its all booked seems to much to me.

And surely she would need to pick the dress.

Yeah, you are rite. I just want to sort out the options first. She is not familiar with uk afterall.

It is not a grand wedding ceremony, just proposal, photo shooting and exchanging rings. The promise/commitment behind means much more.

Anything bigger will be done after my graduation.

I am surprised that I cant get much understanding here (and we can see there is much misunderstanding in many different aspects) haha ......is it because of the culture difference?
Reply 45
Original post by drbunhead
Seems like u want to get a visa to live here!...please dont marry her for your selfishness!
why dont u marry an international student?

WTF....please read #7

both I and my gf are HK residents (we have Aus PR). I will go back to Hong Kong after graduation. Who cares about the visa?
Why so many guys think I am marrying my girl because of the visa?

First of all, my gf is HK residence; she stays in HK waiting me to get my llb and go back to take care of her.
Secondly, even if my gf is uk resident, if I am to marry her, it would just because I love her. This is an absolute disgrace to marriage. I cant imagine someone could come up with an idea such as "this is a scam" immediately. Not only it is not true in my case, it is too dirty a thought to have. I am definitely not at the same level with you guys as I cant think of such evil things when others are talking about nice things such as getting married.

I understand many English people dont like immigrants. But it has nothing to do with me, I am not immigrants and I am not looking forward to being one.
Haters, please leave me alone. I am a customer coming over to pay for education service and will leave immediately after this "transaction" has completed. It is just a fair deal, ok?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Maybe I have underestimated the degree of racial discrimination in uk....
Are you sure this rushed wedding is what she wants? Most girls have in their head exactly what kind of dress they want, and what kind of wedding from being very young.
I know I wouldn't want to have a rushed wedding on a budget, I would rather be engaged for a year or so while I saved so I could afford the wedding I really want with all of my friends and family there.
Anyway she can always get a cheap (new) dress from Ebay, they are usually from Hong Kong and there are some beautiful ones on there. They usually follow what's currenlty in fashion and usually are below £100. Same with suits, or there are many places in which you can hire a suit (it's usually easier then finding somewhere which will hire the dress).
Photographers won't be all that expensive, they usually do different packages at different prices. Just google wedding photographer in Manchester and take a look at some websites, if they don't display their prices just send them a quick email. Or if you are at college/uni you could contact a student on a photography course as they will probably do it for cheaper!
Venues will range in price depending on what you want, if it's just the two of you it dosn't have to be THAT fancy.. again just Google wedding venues in or near Manchester. You may be able to get married in a local church or whatever just call in and ask.
Seen as there will be no guests there is no need for a wedding cake so maybe you two could go out for a meal afterwards to celebrate? (change of clothes of course).
And nice places to take photos would be either outside the church (if you marry in one), a local park.

But I think you should discuss this with her before you book anything, if you book everything THEN propose she may feel she has to go along with this rushed wedding which she didn't plan just to make you happy. And although this may be the idea of your perfect wedding it may not be hers. Good luck.
Reply 48
Original post by yamaha777
Yeah, you are rite. I just want to sort out the options first. She is not familiar with uk afterall.

It is not a grand wedding ceremony, just proposal, photo shooting and exchanging rings. The promise/commitment behind means much more.

Anything bigger will be done after my graduation.

I am surprised that I cant get much understanding here (and we can see there is much misunderstanding in many different aspects) haha ......is it because of the culture difference?

So do you want it to be a legal marriage or just a ceremony.

to get legally married in the uk you need to get a marriage license which she will need to apply for as well.

I think you have to give at least 14 days notice as well but im not 100%

There is infomation about it all here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_family/family_index_ew/getting_married.htm

It even has a table to tell you which family members you cant marry lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
So do you want it to be a legal marriage or just a ceremony.

to get legally married in the uk you need to get a marriage license which she will need to apply for as well.

I think you have to give at least 14 days notice as well but im not 100%

Thanks, this is a good reminder.
Is a marriage license available to foreigners like us?
Reply 50
Thanks, this is a good reminder.
Is a marriage license available to foreigners like us?

I assume so, I don't think there is an issue with two foreign people getting married, just if you wanted to marry a British person as there would be visa concerns.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
I assume so, I don't think there is an issue with two foreign people getting married, just if you wanted to marry a British person as there would be visa concerns.

Thanks for your help will0269, you are really a nice guy.

But I dont understand why ppl in this thread are so sensitive about foreign ppl marrying a British person for the sake of getting visa? Is it common and causing much social problems?

I am new to this society and seems there is much to learn

(maybe I should write this on my forehead: I will leave UK right after graduation)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Waqar Y
When I saw the thread title, I automatically thought 'visa'.

Anyone else the same, dunno why.

I am also interested to know why?

I have mentioned nothing about visa, and got attacked innocently.
Reply 53
Original post by RainbowDoll
Are you sure this rushed wedding is what she wants? Most girls have in their head exactly what kind of dress they want, and what kind of wedding from being very young.
I know I wouldn't want to have a rushed wedding on a budget, I would rather be engaged for a year or so while I saved so I could afford the wedding I really want with all of my friends and family there.
Anyway she can always get a cheap (new) dress from Ebay, they are usually from Hong Kong and there are some beautiful ones on there. They usually follow what's currenlty in fashion and usually are below £100. Same with suits, or there are many places in which you can hire a suit (it's usually easier then finding somewhere which will hire the dress).
Photographers won't be all that expensive, they usually do different packages at different prices. Just google wedding photographer in Manchester and take a look at some websites, if they don't display their prices just send them a quick email. Or if you are at college/uni you could contact a student on a photography course as they will probably do it for cheaper!
Venues will range in price depending on what you want, if it's just the two of you it dosn't have to be THAT fancy.. again just Google wedding venues in or near Manchester. You may be able to get married in a local church or whatever just call in and ask.
Seen as there will be no guests there is no need for a wedding cake so maybe you two could go out for a meal afterwards to celebrate? (change of clothes of course).
And nice places to take photos would be either outside the church (if you marry in one), a local park.

But I think you should discuss this with her before you book anything, if you book everything THEN propose she may feel she has to go along with this rushed wedding which she didn't plan just to make you happy. And although this may be the idea of your perfect wedding it may not be hers. Good luck.

Yeah you are right, i will check things out first and gather as much info as possible. So she can pick whatever she wants and no need to spend time searching. (Afterall she is not familiar with uk)

Concerning the budget, I think a cheap and simple wedding suits us well. Although we at this stage can afford nothing expensive, I know she wont mind as long as I have already try my best to make her happy.

If few years later I get a nice job, I will compensate her with nicer wedding ceremony, dresses, banquet, photo shooting and everything else; but I know she will like this "cheap" wedding more.

There are many things in life that money can never purchase.
Reply 54
Thanks for your help will0269, you are really a nice guy.

But I dont understand why ppl in this thread are so sensitive about foreign ppl marrying a British person for the sake of getting visa? Is it common and causing much social problems?

I am new to this society and seems there is much to learn

(maybe I should write this on my forehead: I will leave UK right after graduation)

Its not a social problem really just that there is allot of people creating "sham" marriages or leading some one into a false relationship just to gain a UK visa and with the high immigration rates it can cause tension.

I don't think the majority of society would really care but there might be tighter controls in the application process etc.

The title of the thread does seem like you might be suggesting that you wanted to marry for a visa and i guess people are just going on that and not paying attention to the rest of the thread.
Reply 55
Be frank, I think I deserve an apology from some offensive ppl in this thread.

They are responsible for their own misunderstanding afterall.
Reply 56
"International Student" + "marry in England" => Cheating visa.

All other info are simply ignored. That's why I dont talk to stupid ppl, they basically cant read/hear anything.
Original post by greencat
"International Student" + "marry in England" => Cheating visa.

All other info are simply ignored. That's why I dont talk to stupid ppl, they basically cant read/hear anything.

people*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending