Which year at university is hardest?

Watch
Poll: Which year at university was hardest for you (Bachelor)?
1-st Year (18)
13.33%
2-nd Year (61)
45.19%
3-rd Year (42)
31.11%
4-th Year (14)
10.37%
Attention
Badges: 2
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Which year at university was more difficult for you (Bachelor)?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
In terms of content and workload, second year was the worst for me. Final year was actually very manageable and relatively stress-free.
py0alb
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I don't think I found any of them particularly difficult or stressful. I just remember working an awful lot harder* in my final year because I wanted a 1st.

*and by harder, I mean my mates would go to the pub straight after lunch on a Saturday. I would do a couple of hours work and then join them in the mid-afternoon. They considered this to be a disorientatingly radical move.
The Real Quaid
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
4th year was certainly easiest as i'd graduated by then :laugh:

seriously though, most people only do 3 years so your poll results may be skewed slightly
Princess Bubbles
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Final (3rd year)
PagowenTheGreat
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Real Quaid)
4th year was certainly easiest as i'd graduated by then :laugh:

seriously though, most people only do 3 years so your poll results may be skewed slightly
Aye, I suspect you may be right. It sounds to me like the OP is probably Scottish, as 4-year degrees are the standard thing here.
OLawyer
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
I don't think I found any of them particularly difficult or stressful. I just remember working an awful lot harder* in my final year because I wanted a 1st.

*and by harder, I mean my mates would go to the pub straight after lunch on a Saturday. I would do a couple of hours work and then join them in the mid-afternoon. They considered this to be a disorientatingly radical move.
I think you reason you didn't find it difficult can be answered by stating which uni you went to and what course you did.
py0alb
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OLawyer)
I think you reason you didn't find it difficult can be answered by stating which uni you went to and what course you did.
media studies at university of west lothian, whats your point?
alwaysme
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I've no clue since I haven't gone yet. But I'd always heard that first year is the hardest, In terms of workload anyway. The logic being the university trying to weed out the people who were going to drop out later anyway. Was this true for anybody?
py0alb
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PagowenTheGreat)
Aye, I suspect you may be right. It sounds to me like the OP is probably Scottish, as 4-year degrees are the standard thing here.
A significant proportion of people either do a placement year, an exchange year, or an undergrad masters, all of which make their degrees 4 years.
jvasos
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Final year--as the reality of your past 2/3 years of doing absolutely nothing start to catch up with you. Especially if you are on the boundary of a 2:1/2:2. Also the dissertation!!
OLawyer
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
media studies at university of west lothian, whats your point?
Point made. Unknown university, definitely not in the russel group, and not the hardest degree at all.
PagowenTheGreat
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
A significant proportion of people either do a placement year, an exchange year, or an undergrad masters, all of which make their degrees 4 years.
Good point; I don't know how I managed to forget about that, consdering I'm hoping to do a 10 month placement as part of my undergraduate degree. However, in my uni undergraduate masters and degrees with placement years usually take 5 years to complete, but it's still common practice to refer to your final year as "4th year" (even if it is in fact your 5th...). Maybe that only happens where I study?
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
2nd year was by far worst

final year is stressful but nothing compared to the 2nd year
username728604
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Point made. Unknown university, definitely not in the russel group, and not the hardest degree at all.
Or maybe he's just good at the subject he studies? Or else most people studying media at a non russell group uni would get at least 2:1 and I'm pretty sure that's not the case...
py0alb
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
what was your point again?

I was lying anyway. I did cat-grooming studies, not media, I didn't have the grades for that.
OLawyer
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nomes89)
Or maybe he's just good at the subject he studies? Or else most people studying media at a non russell group uni would get at least 2:1 and I'm pretty sure that's not the case...
I can't believe it's that hard to get a 2.1 in media studies, specially at a top 80 uni.
PagowenTheGreat
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Who are you to judge the difficulty of any degree?

Do you know anyone who has ever got 100% in their final year coursework and exams, on any course? Most likely not; because whichever degree you study, there is always room to work as hard as possible and push yourself.

And btw, this is coming from someone who is studying a science degree at a Russell Group university. You sir, are a snob...
py0alb
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PagowenTheGreat)
Good point; I don't know how I managed to forget about that, consdering I'm hoping to do a 10 month placement as part of my undergraduate degree. However, in my uni undergraduate masters and degrees with placement years usually take 5 years to complete, but it's still common practice to refer to your final year as "4th year" (even if it is in fact your 5th...). Maybe that only happens where I study?
on the course I was on, you had three options: three straight years, four straight years, or four years with the 3rd year spent either abroad or in industry.
Kim-x
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Final year I'd assume, but first year is hard until you settle in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.89%
Okay (105)
29.66%
A bit lacking (129)
36.44%
Not good at all (85)
24.01%

Watched Threads