Report Thread starter 10 years ago
--
Last edited by mrwhatwhat; 2 years ago
Fragile_Illusions
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Really, I think it brings more suffering to be in prison for life than to be executed.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh no, not again.

Long story short: certain fundamental human rights are universally applicable to everyone or they are invalid for everyone, and this includes the right to life; it does not cost less to execute people than to imprison them for life; it does not serve as a deterrent for the crimes it is used to punish; it is a form of vengeance rather than justice; innocents have been executed in the past and will continue to be until it is unilaterally abolished; it is a permanent sentence that cannot be reversed - posthumous pardons are useless.

That about covers it.
DH-Biker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mrwhatwhat)
Murderers and rapists and child fiddlers should be executed in my opinion.

I dont care if its "humane" to keep them alive, they took someone elses life, or psychologically hurt someone for life, justice must be brought to them.

Why waste taxpayers money in keeping these scum eating and breathing.

They should only be put to death when the evidence is stacked against them or they admit that they did it. What happened to the good old days when there was no political correctness and hard justice.
You want to go back to the good old days? Shut the hell up. You'd get there and cry that you wanted a fairer justice system, instead of one that cut your head off for even the mere suggestion of a problem with the Monarch or Parliament.
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I dont care if its "humane" to keep them alive, they took someone elses life, or psychologically hurt someone for life, justice must be brought to them.

They should only be put to death when the evidence is stacked against them or they admit that they did it. What happened to the good old days when there was no political correctness and hard justice.
Justice is not mob rule. And in Texas it costs more to execute than life in prison.
Shorton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
Oh no, not again.

Long story short: certain fundamental human rights are universally applicable to everyone or they are invalid for everyone, and this includes the right to life; it does not cost less to execute people than to imprison them for life; it does not serve as a deterrent for the crimes it is used to punish; it is a form of vengeance rather than justice; innocents have been executed in the past and will continue to be until it is unilaterally abolished; it is a permanent sentence that cannot be reversed - posthumous pardons are useless.

That about covers it.
Very well said.
jacob7191
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Why would they then admit to their crimes if they knew that they would be executed if they did?

Also the evidence should be stacked against every person in prison because of a little phrase that governs our whole legal system i.e. "beyond reasonable doubt".

Negged for showing you how flawed your condition placed upon the death penalty is???
mrwhatwhat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Oh no, not again.

That about covers it.
...which is why i said if the evidence is stacked against them, eg video footage or the person admits they did it (even if they are innocent, why admit you did it?) then they should be executed. it will save a heck of a lot of money.

the death penalty is still in america lol
hardleyouth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh no, not again.

That about covers it.
This about covers everything I think

My main problem is that it creates a legal form of murder, people and the government can easily set someone up, and have them killed

Example

Get a photo of a child being sexually photo (Im sure there's plenty around on the web, or so the news keeps telling us....so maybe not...anyway!) photoshop someone into it, or things that make it look like it's the person's house or they are present, put it on their computer or phone or something, then dob them in - they're done for, how do you protest your innocence from that? ...Too late, bang your dead.

Atleast with prison sentences you have time to protest your innocence and to appeal, and even if you can't convince people your innocent, you're not dead and you will eventually be released
Craiky1506
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
...which is why i said if the evidence is stacked against them, eg video footage or the person admits they did it (even if they are innocent, why admit you did it?) then they should be executed. it will save a heck of a lot of money.

It does not save money. To be honest there are people that would rather die than spend a lifetime in prison so yes you would get people admitting to it when the actual guilty person is still on the loose.
slightly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

It costs more money to keep someone on death row than life imprisonment.
mrwhatwhat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Craiky1506)
It does not save money. To be honest there are people that would rather die than spend a lifetime in prison so yes you would get people admitting to it when the actual guilty person is still on the loose.
Why does it cost more to kill someone? if thats true then i didnt know that. I thought something like a simple shot to the head would be cheaper
jacob7191
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Yes it is still operated in the Southern States and in Iran and in Malawi and in China, just to name a few!
If you would like to operate a similar justice system to any of these countries then you are dillusional!
The death sentence is the hallmark of a less civilised state and if you would like the UK to regress as a nation then implementing the death penalty is a great starting point.
However if you feel so strongly about it why don't you vote BNP, one of their points in their manifesto is to re-implement it!
HarveyCanis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't want my future taxes to be used to kill people (I think that's how it's funded). The thought of a government killing its own people is beyond vile.
mrwhatwhat
Rep:
?
(Original post by hardleyouth)
This about covers everything I think

My main problem is that it creates a legal form of murder, people and the government can easily set someone up, and have them killed

Example

Get a photo of a child being sexually photo (Im sure there's plenty around on the web, or so the news keeps telling us....so maybe not...anyway!) photoshop someone into it, or things that make it look like it's the person's house or they are present, put it on their computer or phone or something, then dob them in - they're done for, how do you protest your innocence from that? ...Too late, bang your dead.

Atleast with prison sentences you have time to protest your innocence and to appeal, and even if you can't convince people your innocent, you're not dead and you will eventually be released
Fair enough with that, however if the person in question denies everything then they will be kept alive, beacuse they could make it the law to do so - if someone admits it they could have the option to die or rot in prison.
mrwhatwhat
Rep:
?
(Original post by jacob7191)
Yes it is still operated in the Southern States and in Iran and in Malawi and in China, just to name a few!
If you would like to operate a similar justice system to any of these countries then you are dillusional!
The death sentence is the hallmark of a less civilised state and if you would like the UK to regress as a nation then implementing the death penalty is a great starting point.
However if you feel so strongly about it why don't you vote BNP, one of their points in their manifesto is to re-implement it!
I do vote BNP lol, in fact most of their policies are very good with immigration and all taht. none of their policies are racist, theyre just anti PC, which is what i like
Craiky1506
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why does it cost more to kill someone? if thats true then i didnt know that. I thought something like a simple shot to the head would be cheaper
See this: http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/i...h-penalty-cost
Jtking3000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When people say that it costs more to execute someone they're basically referring to the american judicial system where it takes aaaaages due to loads of appeals.
mrwhatwhat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jtking3000)
When people say that it costs more to execute someone they're basically referring to the american judicial system where it takes aaaaages due to loads of appeals.
Yeh but im not saying the UK should mirror exactly what the US do, cos their stuff is different. They could make it easier in the UK and make it cost less or something
laura94
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is that really justice though?

And I think you need to consider the fact that there must be a reason behind what the person did, and if you had had the same upbringing and experiences as them, there is a very high chance you would have acted the same way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads