The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol 2012 applicants !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
Original post by Dusty12
No, I agree with you. My entire life I've never lived more than a 5 minutes walk from my school, so I reckon it'd be quite a shock suddenly having to actually factor in travelling time.:tongue: It seems unnecessary effort to have to travel all that way (I'd probably skip some lectures because of it) and I don't mind being in a quieter hall. Fingers crossed for The Hawthorns.:biggrin:

Yeah I completely agree i'd probably skip lectures too buuuuuuuut I didn't know that outside stoke bishop is crap for night life!?:eek: I do love a good night out and thought city centre would be better for this-no?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by clstar12
Yeah I completely agree i'd probably skip lectures too buuuuuuuut I didn't know that outside stoke bishop is crap for night life!?:eek: I do love a good night out and thought city centre would be better for this-no?

It's not crap for night life - even better to be right in the middle of things, IMO. :biggrin: It's just that the Stoke Bishop ones seem to have far more of a 'party hall' reputation. :dontknow:
Reply 2142
Original post by clstar12

It's ridiculous to say that peeps from Stoke Bishop have a better nightlife than people in Clifton halls/Hawhorns/City Centre. I live in Goldney and not only do we have a great atmosphere in the hall with lots of people going out as a group at night but we have the city on our doorstep. Bristol has one of the best and most varied music scenes around and as well as a huge number of bars and clubs it's great to have access to so many fantastic little pubs. If you come to Bristol you have to make the most of the city and explore it. It's one of the major selling points of the place.
Original post by kolokov
It's ridiculous to say that peeps from Stoke Bishop have a better nightlife than people in Clifton halls/Hawhorns/City Centre. I live in Goldney and not only do we have a great atmosphere in the hall with lots of people going out as a group at night but we have the city on our doorstep. Bristol has one of the best and most varied music scenes around and as well as a huge number of bars and clubs it's great to have access to so many fantastic little pubs. If you come to Bristol you have to make the most of the city and explore it. It's one of the major selling points of the place.

Hey, I know you don't live there, but what are your thoughts on The Hawthorns? There doesn't seem to be as much information about it compared to the bigger Halls.:smile:
Reply 2144
Original post by Dusty12
Hey, I know you don't live there, but what are your thoughts on The Hawthorns? There doesn't seem to be as much information about it compared to the bigger Halls.:smile:

From what I hear of the place it is quite quiet but position wise it's absolutely perfect in terms of being literally right next to the main university precinct and minutes walk from the Triangle (tends to be the regular place where Bristol students go out but it's worth exploring further afield). As with everywhere reputation doesn't really matter as it all depends on the actual group that is living with you when you are living there. You'll make the most of it wherever you are. Personally though I would really plug the Clifton halls. Clifton is such a great place to be.
Reply 2145
Aeronautical engineering
Question, I'm an international Law Applicant (insurance choice for me, though) with Bristol, how do I apply for accomodation?

Thanks a lot!
Original post by AnonCoconut
Question, I'm an international Law Applicant (insurance choice for me, though) with Bristol, how do I apply for accomodation?

Thanks a lot!

Same as domestic applicants who have put Bristol as an insurance. However, international students have a delayed deadline to hand in their results. Unfortunately, if you end up missing your grades and requiring accommodation, the later you realise this, the smaller your chance of getting university-owned residences.
Reply 2148
Hi
I currently have an offer from both Bristol and Edinburgh to study Bsc - Maths and Economics course starting in Fall 2012. I need similar grades in A2 for both Universities but I'm not really sure which will be better to go to. The main factors I am most concerned about is the Academics, Connections and how employable you are from this course at these Universities. Any advise you can give me on which University is better and why it is better would be much appreciated.

Also my School suggests that by going to Bristol after 3 years there is a reasonably high chance of me going to a place like Oxford to do Masters whereas with Edinburgh it is a 4-year course so I'll be getting a masters from Edinburgh which isn't as well looked at as bsc at bristol and the Ma at Oxford. Does anyone know if this is true? Also How hard would it be to get into Oxford for Masters from Bristol?
Reply 2149
Original post by kogaht
congrats! any particular reason why the offer is unconditional?

I am on a gap year so already have my grades! love it
Reply 2150
anyone?
Original post by JayXVIII
anyone?

BSc Bristol + MA Oxford/Bristol in my opinion, outweighs and MA from Edinburgh.

Especially considering Bristols reputation in maths and economics. However Bristol hasn't done the best in recent league tables, these don't take reputation into account. According to QS world rankings bristol is joint 15th globally for emplyers reputation.

Bristol holds a great reputation and is second only to oxbridge in many employers minds. Once again, just to have an offer to study those subjects at Bristol, is pretty impressive.

Needless to say Edinburgh is an excellent uni, and admittedly i dont know a huge amount about it, but Bristol appears to have the edge in my mind. Another thing to consider might be location to London, especially for Economics related careers and placements in say holidays, work experience etc.... Bristol wins that one :wink:

Good luck deciding
Original post by punctuation
Same as domestic applicants who have put Bristol as an insurance. However, international students have a delayed deadline to hand in their results. Unfortunately, if you end up missing your grades and requiring accommodation, the later you realise this, the smaller your chance of getting university-owned residences.

Thank you so much! :smile: Will go ahead with the accommodation application. :smile:
Grettings good people
I present you a dillema.
I have a place at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. 2 c's.
I also have a place to do music at Bristol. 3 B's.
I want to try the RWCMD course first, and if it does not work out, switch to Bristol.
To have this safety net available, I would need to persuade Bristol to let me defer entry.
I did not put this on UCAS.

How do I persuade them to come round?
Email/Phone? What kind of language should i use?

How about this:

Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you very much for your offer to study BA Music W300 at Bristol
Since completing my UCAS form I have been presented with a fantastic opportunity to spend the 2012/13 academic year gaining some very highly regarded and extremely valuable performance experience. Unfortunately this would mean that I will need defer my entry for one year, and start in 2013.
This does not diminish my desire to study at Bristol. Please let me know whether you can accommodate this change.
Yours faithfully,
-----

?
Many thanks
Reply 2154
Anyone applying for the Hawthorns should probably get it. The front of the building is v.nice but the actual halls of residence are a complete dump. A mate of mine lives there and spends all his social time in other halls but is sometimes glad to have the reprieve of Hawthorns for working etc. Though it's a somber place inside.
Reply 2155
Original post by Dusty12

Don't know much about it I'm afraid but it's a great position for precinct/triangle etc. Doesn't have that great a reputation though.
Original post by peeshder
Grettings good people
I present you a dillema.
I have a place at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. 2 c's.
I also have a place to do music at Bristol. 3 B's.
I want to try the RWCMD course first, and if it does not work out, switch to Bristol.
To have this safety net available, I would need to persuade Bristol to let me defer entry.
I did not put this on UCAS.

How do I persuade them to come round?
Email/Phone? What kind of language should i use?

How about this:

Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you very much for your offer to study BA Music W300 at Bristol
Since completing my UCAS form I have been presented with a fantastic opportunity to spend the 2012/13 academic year gaining some very highly regarded and extremely valuable performance experience. Unfortunately this would mean that I will need defer my entry for one year, and start in 2013.
This does not diminish my desire to study at Bristol. Please let me know whether you can accommodate this change.
Yours faithfully,
-----

?
Many thanks

I see your dilemma, however even if you get Bristol to defer your entry you will still have to select it as your insurance on UCAS. If you do this and then accept a firm place at RWCMD your deferred entry place will be gone from Bristol. So if you accept RWCMD on UCAS the fact that Bristol's offer may be deferred has no effect - sadly :/ You would have to re-apply to Bristol through UCAS whist at RWCMD if you did not like the course there.

Hope this is of some use . Good Luck with what you decide
Reply 2157
Jackkkkk
your insurance on UCAS

Jack, RWCMD is on cukas so it's a linked but separate application process. I don't have an answer for the situation, peeshder, other than contacting Bristol to ask them. I would be careful about saying you taking another course as the one at RWCDM is more than one year isn't it? Correct me if I am wrong though! Goodluck!
Original post by slizzie
Jack, RWCMD is on cukas so it's a linked but separate application process. I don't have an answer for the situation, peeshder, other than contacting Bristol to ask them. I would be careful about saying you taking another course as the one at RWCDM is more than one year isn't it? Correct me if I am wrong though! Goodluck!

My mistake. Sorry didnt realise you an apply through other systems. :smile:
Reply 2159
Hi! I have been offered an unconditional from Bristol, but stuck between Bristol and Warwick - art history. If anyone does art history at Bristol and has any comments about the course please let me know! Also does anyone know about any traveling opportunities they may have, apart from the year abroad if you do a language?
:confused:
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending