The Student Room Group

Weight gain and uni?

I don't think I drink too much for a student but keep gaining weight so was just wondering if anyone had any tips apart from the obvious drinking less lol. Are there any lower calorie alcoholic drinks out there?
Weight watchers are loosing out big, by not having a weightwatchers alcoholics drinks selection.
I'm sorry, it is an inevitable fact, the day you go to uni...
I think all alcohol has quite a lot of calories...

Are you eating healthily? And obviously exercise will help keep your weight down.
As for low calorie drinks... Have you heard of Adam's Ale?
Reply 5
Original post by stroppyninja
As for low calorie drinks... Have you heard of Adam's Ale?

No what's that? I've heard vodka and diet coke isn't too bad but surely the sugar is really high?
Reply 6
Original post by dottylottie
No what's that? I've heard vodka and diet coke isn't too bad but surely the sugar is really high?

Best thing is to do more exercise. There can be student discounts on gym memberships, go and investigate :smile:
Reply 7
well im a boxer so i avoid alchohol mostly. i have only drank twice since christmas. but both times a drank a **** of alot of neat vodka. low calorie and it dosnt dehydrate you too much. liver dosnt like it thouhg :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
You managed to put on weight in uni? How odd. I lost 5kg.
Reply 9
I lost weight at uni
Reply 10
Original post by Silver Arrow
You managed to put on weight in uni? How odd. I lost 5kg.

Fast food, alcohol and free bus pass did not work in my favour lol I thought it was quite common
Reply 11
Fast food, alcohol and free bus pass did not work in my favour lol I thought it was quite common

You've answered your own question! Drink less, eat less crap and walk more = lose weight!

Diet coke has no sugar, about 2 calories, and that is about it. The vodka has about 50 calories per shot if I remember right. It may be lower, around 35/40 even. Vodka and diet coke is one of the lowest calorie alcoholic drinks you can get.

No. I drank alcohol; and it looked like i'd been sucked dry the next day. Takeaways are great but just too expensive so maybe that's why.
Reply 14
Original post by Kt.b
You've answered your own question! Drink less, eat less crap and walk more = lose weight!

erm yh as i stated I was looking for alternative drinks cos it's no fun to avoid nights out and its not a massive amount of weight

Original post by rmhumphries
Diet coke has no sugar, about 2 calories, and that is about it. The vodka has about 50 calories per shot if I remember right. It may be lower, around 35/40 even. Vodka and diet coke is one of the lowest calorie alcoholic drinks you can get.

cheers will try to stick to this :smile:
Reply 15
erm yh as i stated I was looking for alternative drinks cos it's no fun to avoid nights out and its not a massive amount of weight

Tbh, if you like going on nights out if you want to lose weight it will have to be from other areas of your life ie. your diet. Like you said, no point abstaining so would say straight vodka, stay away from fruit juice mixers and WKDs and the like which are full of calories. Dry white wine is also good.
Reply 16
'diet' gin and topic = 70 cals. based on that being lowest calorie drink.... what ever you are drinking = extra calories = much weight. Answer = stop drinking. u might see it as fun now but really u as a student becoming very dependant on alcohol. I speak from experience. I wish now i never touched alcohol as a student!
Reply 17
Your weight gain may not be caused just by the alcohol...

It may be the exercise that you are doing (or not doing). If [energy in > energy out] then you'll put on weight.
Reply 18
Diet drinks make you crave sugar. Your brain picks up on the sweeteners and expects a rush of glucose/fructose, which it doesn't receive, so it makes you go out and find something else to fill the sugary void.

Plus, the fact that you've had a diet drink subconsciously makes you more likely to consume sugar throughout the day, as a reward for choosing the healthier option.

Damn you Pepsi Max :nooo:

:pepsi:

Adam's ale is Water. It's a solution of various minerals with an H2O mixer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending