The Student Room Group

Introverts in investment banking industry

Are there personality requirements in practice for a career in the investment banking industry?

I'm not very good with dealing with people in a social context and I do certainly prefer sitting in front of a desk minding my own business. But I wouldn't say I'm avoidant (well, maybe of pubs, night clubs and drunk people), and I'm happy to talk when there's something important to talk about - I just can't do small talk.

I struggle to understand people as humans, and I'm not very sharp at catching cues from the more extravert kind.

On the leadership front, I don't think I'm a bad manager once I have come to be in charge, but I'm not a natural leader. Sometimes a whole bunch of people start following an individual and basically nominate him as leader, and I have no idea what's so good about him.

So is investment banking a place for me, and are there some parts more suitable than others? Or would my time and energy be better spent persueing other careers?

Scroll to see replies

I believe being a Quant could be more suited? This requires a great quantitative skill, however.
Original post by hassi94
I believe being a Quant could be more suited? This requires a great quantitative skill, however.

Oh, right.
Original post by Ross Johnson
Oh, right.

Well to be fair, for someone who is unaware of the position, to know what 'Quant' means may not be so obvious to some. So, did you contribute anything useful to this topic?
Ross Johnson is probably somewhat introverted. He's a graduate that works in an IB but spends his time making asinine comments on a student forum
Reply 5
Original post by s0me12
Are there personality requirements in practice for a career in the investment banking industry?

I'm not very good with dealing with people in a social context and I do certainly prefer sitting in front of a desk minding my own business. But I wouldn't say I'm avoidant (well, maybe of pubs, night clubs and drunk people), and I'm happy to talk when there's something important to talk about - I just can't do small talk.

I struggle to understand people as humans, and I'm not very sharp at catching cues from the more extravert kind.

On the leadership front, I don't think I'm a bad manager once I have come to be in charge, but I'm not a natural leader. Sometimes a whole bunch of people start following an individual and basically nominate him as leader, and I have no idea what's so good about him.

So is investment banking a place for me, and are there some parts more suitable than others? Or would my time and energy be better spent persueing other careers?

lol what?

Any job you do will require some amount of small talk on a daily basis. In a competitive industry like Finance and especially in IB, you will need to be able to get people to like you and you will need to be able to hold an interesting conversation if you want to progress career wise. Work on your social skills, as like all other skills, they can be improved.
Reply 6
If you're telling me that I'm suited for quant, then that's great! I'm sure the quantitative skills won't be a snagging point.

Can someone who knows the IB industry advise me on whether:
A) The IB industry really is all a-type?
B) Realistically, am I wasting time and effort trying to get into IB?
C) Should I focus on some parts like trading or quant? People I've talked to at events said that IB is highly integrated and people move around and so you should be thinking of IB as a whole.

Regarding having to work on social skills anyway, I'm sure not all industries have the same personality as IB. Besides, there are other people like me, and they don't end up jobless. It's just a matter of whether they go to IB, and if not, whether that's was purely because they didn't want to go to IB.

----------------
Original post by kabs13
lol what?
Ok, I agree that what I've written is ambiguous and misleading. I meant that I can't see people in an informal social context until I know them very well. But you get my over all message.
Original post by s0me12
If you're telling me that I'm suited for quant, then that's great! I'm sure the quantitative skills won't be a snagging point.

Can someone who knows the IB industry advise me on whether:
A) The IB industry really is all a-type?
B) Realistically, am I wasting time and effort trying to get into IB?
C) Should I focus on some parts like trading or quant? People I've talked to at events said that IB is highly integrated and people move around and so you should be thinking of IB as a whole.

Regarding having to work on social skills anyway, I'm sure not all industries have the same personality as IB. Besides, there are other people like me, and they don't end up jobless. It's just a matter of whether they go to IB, and if not, whether that's was purely because they didn't want to go to IB.

----------------
Ok, I agree that what I've written is ambiguous and misleading. I meant that I can't see people in an informal social context until I know them very well. But you get my over all message.

I know plenty of people traders, bankers who are extremely quiet and reserved people and cannot see them being super aggressive/very chatty at work at all.

At the senior level ofc you MUST be very good with the clients, charming etc that kind of thing (think tony blair as an 'ideal type') but at the junior level i know a helluva lot of very quiet/hermit types.
Reply 8
Original post by unknown demon
I know plenty of people traders, bankers who are extremely quiet and reserved people and cannot see them being super aggressive/very chatty at work at all.

At the senior level ofc you MUST be very good with the clients, charming etc that kind of thing (think tony blair as an 'ideal type') but at the junior level i know a helluva lot of very quiet/hermit types.

thanks
Reply 9
Try for Sales/Broking
Reply 10
Original post by _Gnasher_
Try for Sales/Broking

:eek:

But isn't that all about networking with clients and other traders?
Original post by s0me12

Original post by s0me12
:eek:

But isn't that all about networking with clients and other traders?

Nah that's different you're thinking of Sales & Trading, different thing.
Original post by _Gnasher_
Try for Sales/Broking

I'd rather kill myself.
I hate people in general. Work in research.
Reply 14
Original post by yoyo462001
Nah that's different you're thinking of Sales & Trading, different thing.

why are you still posting here university of central lancashire?
Reply 15
Original post by slylion1

He told me that he doesn't actually go there - he claims that his sig is fake in order to throw employers off his back/discovering who he really is. Personally I think he's talking a load of bull****.

Original post by therealOG
He told me that he doesn't actually go there - he claims that his sig is fake in order to throw employers off his back/discovering who he really is. Personally I think he's talking a load of bull****.

:toofunny:

No but seriously let's stay on topic.
Reply 17
Original post by yoyo462001
:toofunny:

No but seriously let's stay on topic.

Are you denying what you told me in our PM convo? You're so full of **** it's hilarious.

Are you denying what you told me in our PM convo? You're so full of **** it's hilarious.

Reply 19
Yoyo, i'm sure you study economics at Exeter....... i've been meaning to ask you about the sig for weeks....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending