The Student Room Group

Do I have a realistic chance?

I am 21, so will be starting as a mature student in 2006. I don't have any A levels, Just one AS Level B, and a BTEC National Award. I have 9 GCSE's and I have a few city and Guilds in Problem Solving, Working With Others and Leadership.

I have been told that as a mature student you don't actually have to have the A levels, but looking on here it seems that most of the mature students are post grads returning to do a new degree. or they have the A Levels from a few years before.

I am now sufficiently pooping myself at my prospects. I have already applied through UCAS for the University of Kent to do the LLB Law single Honors, and am now frightened that I won't get in. Even though they encourage students without traditional Qualifications to apply. But this non traditional rule I think applies to normal, (not the mature type) students. I am getting myself all confused with doubt. wwwaaahhhh.

If anyone is of a similar situation as me, I would love to hear from you, also If anyone was in the same situation as me this year round (2005) and was accepted into University I would like to hear from them aswell, Just for reasurance purposes, as I am getting myself all worked up.

Reply 1
All I have are my worries and speculations. Confirmation either way is what I am after if I am honest. :redface:
socialbunny20
I don't have any A levels, Just one AS Level B, ...I have 9 GCSE's

What were your GCSE grades ?

It is probably a good idea to contact the Director of Admissions at the Kent Law school, if you havent done so already. The person to email is:
Ian Grigg-Spall and he is at [email protected]
Information from him will be far more accurate than any, inevitably uninformed, speculation by us.

Uninformed speculation starts:
Kent is fairly competitive for law. I suspect that they will ask you to do at least a couple of A levels. They do say that they normally want "A/AS level 320 points (21 units) including either AB at A level ..." but are willing to look at other qualifications for mature age students.

The problem is that you don't seem to have any other relevant qualifications. For example, another mature age student on TSR applied for medicine after getting a DPhil (Phd from Oxford ) in cancer research.

As for your BTEC award in drama, UCAS consider it equal to just one A level. I am a little dubious about the academic relevance of a drama qualification to law. However, I am no law student and ultimately what matters is what the admissions tutors at Kent think.
Reply 3
The LLB course I am on seems to allow mature students in with less credentials than they expect of younger applicants, if that serves to calm your nerves. I guess it depends how you have spent your time since school and every case is different.
Good Luck.
Reply 4
If I'm honest with you, at 21 you may struggle. They *might* expect you to take an access course or do fast track A-Levels.

If you were a bit older, you would have had a better chance. That's not to say there's no hope of course, but you might want to plan your next steps...

What have you done with your life in the intervening 5 years?

--------------

fundamentally

For example, another mature age student on TSR applied for medicine after getting a DPhil (Phd from Oxford ) in cancer research.

Ohh! That's me :biggrin:
Reply 5
I took a gap year after secondary school and then went to college when I was nearly 18 (my birthdays in October) I then had to quit that to take on looking after my brothers and sisters. Since then I have been the sole carer of my three younger brothers and sisters. The youngest one turns 16 in March so I will no longer be responsible for him. (He has ADHD Hyper Kinetic Disorder, Learning dissabilities, and is also Dyslexic and has OCD, But I have OCD too, and we find it quite funny, so that's not really a struggle. Plus his OCD centres round his room being freakishly neat, which is brilliant). During these three years I have had to be oh so responsible, always looking out for others and I had to be very organised to make sure everything didn't fall apart round my feet. All in all, I think that just being able to look after three teenagers 24/7 and what doing that takes, will show that I am very responsible and able to adjust accordingly. If this makes any sense.
socialbunny20
I took a gap year after secondary school and then went to college when I was nearly 18 (my birthdays in October) I then had to quit that to take on looking after my brothers and sisters.

So in the last 5 years after your GCSE, you had a gap year, did a year of drama and looked after your siblings for 3 to 5 years. While that is commendable, a cynical admissions tutor may think that it says nothing about your academic abilities or potential.

Have you contacted the director of law admissions at Kent yet ? If not, you should do so as soon as possible.
Reply 7
I'd remain hopefull but also consider and look into doing some FE qualifications just in case (Access, A levels)

On the positive side, I have a 26 year old friend who started a Psychology degree this year at Brunel. She has only GCSEs and 5 or 6 years experience of working with autistic kids. She applied to several London unis and was accepted by all - she chose Brunel as she lives in Staines and didn't want to travel far.

She is a bit older than you, but Psychology is competitive also - hope thats encouraging.
Reply 8
It is quite encouraging. The only thing that is worrying me now, is when I speak to her again, (the woman from Kent at Medway) that she will recommend an access course. Because I could have done one this year but in September she said not to bother. So that will obviously gut me because it'll mean more money and more time before I can do the Law Degree. I do believe that I am quite capable of completing it, but it's wether they realise it.
Reply 9
Oh yeah the woman who I spoke to was Lesley Phippen, Kent University, Medway site.
I know how you feel I've got 8 GCSE's one A/S level In Eng Lit and another in sociology (D and E) one BTEC and three years of un-related work experience I've applied to 6 uni's (Leeds Met, Manchester Met, Salford, Liverpool JMU Sheffeild Hallam and Nottingham Trent.) My stategy is to apply for Uni's with lower entry requirements and as many of them as possible. So I have six chances instead of one. Although I would appreciate advice on my chances as well. I'm trying to apply to summer schools but am having trouble finding any suitable ones. I am applying for BA English lit does anyone either know of any good summer schools in Essex or of good summer schools with accomodation provided?

ALLL ADVICE WELCOME.
What I have found is that Universities are accommodating for mature applicants as long as they are able to show achievements in ‘recent’ academic studies.

I would assume that they may ask you to apply again once you have completed an Access course.

--------------

Also if they do ask you to complete an Access Course search around your local colleges etc to see if you can start one now, you may have a lot of catch up to do but if you are dedicated you'll achieve results :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending