The Student Room Group

Woman got arrested for breastfeeding because it "offends Muslims"

Scroll to see replies

How come in the most popular threads of the day the anti-muslim threads are always amongst them?
Reply 41
I just don't understand why people need to breastfeed in public when they can use pumps and bottle the milk before they go out?
Original post by snawkie
I didn't say the word 'racist'. Regardless, the word racist has changed its meaning to include discrimination against religion. Language evolves. Just because, in your opinion, you think the meaning of the word 'racist' has changed for the worse, it doesn't mean you can deny that its meaning has changed. Similarly, the word 'sick' can now be understood to mean something along the lines of 'good' - a bit of a paradox.

I agree that the word 'racist' is misleading (although I think a white christian discriminating against a white muslim would still be racist - the law would agree with me) which is why I never said it so don't accuse me of misusing the word.

And what if we go with the second meaning of discrimination as you did with racist?

1. treating people differently through prejudice: unfair treatment of one person or group, usually because of prejudice about race, ethnicity, age, religion, or gender
2. ability to notice and value quality: the ability to appreciate good quality or taste
3. awareness of subtle differentiation: the ability to notice subtle differences
4. electronics signal selection: the selection of a transmitted signal with a specific characteristic, e.g. frequency, by elimination of signals with other characteristics, using a discriminator

Even if we stay with the first one, 'unfair' is highly subjective anyway. Is it unfair to punish people for being homophobic if that homophobia is grounded in religion?

If language evolves beyond certain limits our laws cease to make sense. Things are made illegal that were never democratically put in place.
Reply 43
Original post by PagowenTheGreat
So, what you're saying is:

A, You have no proof that any of the complaints actually came from Muslims.
B, Because Muslims were there at the time of the incident, it must be their fault? (Last time I was with one of my Muslim friends, a bird **** on my favourite t-shirt; should I tell him it's his fault, and he has to buy me a new t-shirt?).

A. Fair enough, but we dont know, they could have come from some muslims. There are many muslims in this country who are obsessed with their religion
B. Im saying because this country is so obsessed with this suicide bomber beheading stereotype, these officials must have been torn up in it as well, and so are banning it becausethey want to be nice to muslims, as he thinks
Reply 44
Original post by javedhussain
How come in the most popular threads of the day the anti-muslim threads are always amongst them?

Because muslims in this country is a hot topic to talk about. I dont like muslims ( i could like the people who are muslims, but i dont like the religion), I dont like christians and i dont like jews. In fact i dont like any religion.
I blame Labour for this. Would this have happened before 1997?
Original post by Niall2407

Original post by Niall2407
Muslims aren't offended by breastfeeding, it is just the labour councillor of the multicultural office saying 'it will offend them'

People like this just end up creating arguments between 2 different religions/communities for no reason what so ever

Can't rep you, not that it would make a difference.

This happens all the time. Little do gooders working for the council put forward outrageous proposals all the time and say its because 'it will offend d muzzys/blacks/pakis' or whatever. Whenever I ask a member of an ethnic minority whether they are offended, the answer is ALWAYS NO.

I can't believe the standard of journalism in this country sometimes. I can't believe journalists don't ask for evidence and just spout the same information they are given without asking adequate questions. I'm not even talking about The Sun here, nothing better is expected of them; but supposedly 'respectable' news outlets.
Original post by mrwhatwhat
A. Fair enough, but we dont know, they could have come from some muslims. There are many muslims in this country who are obsessed with their religion
B. Im saying because this country is so obsessed with this suicide bomber beheading stereotype, these officials must have been torn up in it as well, and so are banning it becausethey want to be nice to muslims, as he thinks

A. There are also many Christians and people of other faiths who are equally obsessed with religion and what they perceive as "sensibility" in terms of social conduct; so blaming Muslims for an overly PC society is unfair, and deep down I think you know it. Also, without proof that the complaints were from Muslims, you've made it unambiguously clear that your opinions are based on nothing more than prejudice and bigotry.

B. Yes, many in this country are obsessed with negative Muslim stereotypes, and the perceived threat they pose to "our own English people" as you put it (I'm Scottish btw, so that doesn't apply to me); but just because people assume most Muslims will take offence at certain things, it doesn't mean they will.

Just out of curiousity, how many Muslims do you know personally? Each of the Muslims I know happen to be well balanced, open minded, and fully tolerant of other cultures.
I love how it was all "officials" that told her it would offend the Muslims. They're just trying to seem accepting of other cultures, I bet the Muslims didn't really care. And if they did, so what?

Also, lol at the newspaper........couldn't take it seriously........
Im sorry but who cares if their offended, nothing happens when people get offended! All they'll do is give them a weird look and walk away why should we really care, being a hindu myself I should be offended when I see people eat meat from cows.....but id fancy a loverly slab of steak just like the next person tbh....breast feeding is simply feeding your baby....pretty sure thats something to be praised rather than remarked upon!
Original post by morecambebay
And what if we go with the second meaning of discrimination as you did with racist?

Even if we stay with the first one, 'unfair' is highly subjective anyway. Is it unfair to punish people for being homophobic if that homophobia is grounded in religion?

If language evolves beyond certain limits our laws cease to make sense. Things are made illegal that were never democratically put in place.

A good question!
Someone should punch the council officials in the face for coming up with stupid petty rules, that's my opinion on the matter.
Reply 52
Anyone in this country should abide by our customs. For many years now, breastfeeding in public has been seen as completely acceptable, and this should not change simply because one councillor decides Muslims find it offensive.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3693589/Dont-breastfeed-here-youll-upset-Muslims.html

Apparently it was in a multicultural office. My arse it was. Even our own English people arent even allowed to do anything because it will offend these immigrants...

As richard dawkins says, "So what if youre offended? Im offended by backwards baseball caps and chewing gum, doesnt mean im going to abolish it"

Okay, i meant to say banned, not arrested.

Id like to make this clear, its not the muslims were having a go at, but the officials. They recieved complaints (could be muslims, we dont know), and the officials said breastfeeding is offfensive to muslims. Why did the officials ssay that? I think its because this country is afraid of muslims - suicide bombers, poppy burners, stoning people to death.... you know the story. These officials are saying its offensive because they want to go on the muslims good side and not make any enemies. Islam is a bad religion. In fact all religions are bad imo.

banned from breastfeeding? :confused:
Original post by tufc
Anyone in this country should abide by our customs. For many years now, breastfeeding in public has been seen as completely acceptable, and this should not change simply because one councillor decides Muslims find it offensive.

Get a grip.
Interesting, what they didn't print was the following comment (as read in the Metro):

Mohammed Shafiq, chief executive of Muslim organisation the Foundation said: 'Breast feeding is natural. I don't think most Muslims would find it offensive. These bureaucrats who dictate without any substance cause a lot of problems for community relations.'

Typical Sun - blatantly trying to stir things up.
Reply 56
I wonder if The Sun hacked into her phone whilst she was breastfeeding?
Majority of people regardless of religion would feel awkward if a woman whips out her boob to breastfeed in public :facepalm2:

That's not to say mothers shouldn't be able to breastfeed in public if it's absolutely necessary, and tbh I'd much prefer a mother breastfeeds her baby if it means it will stop it from crying out loud giving everybody a headache.

But let's be honest here the people around just get uncomfortable and feel like they can't look anywhere near in that direction.

Stupid retarded councillor.
Reply 58
Original post by tufc

Brits should also abide by customs of other countries when on holiday for example in Greece, Spain and Turkey.
Reply 59
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3693589/Dont-breastfeed-here-youll-upset-Muslims.html

Apparently it was in a multicultural office. My arse it was. Even our own English people arent even allowed to do anything because it will offend these immigrants...

As richard dawkins says, "So what if youre offended? Im offended by backwards baseball caps and chewing gum, doesnt mean im going to abolish it"

Okay, i meant to say banned, not arrested.

Id like to make this clear, its not the muslims were having a go at, but the officials. They recieved complaints (could be muslims, we dont know), and the officials said breastfeeding is offfensive to muslims. Why did the officials ssay that? I think its because this country is afraid of muslims - suicide bombers, poppy burners, stoning people to death.... you know the story. These officials are saying its offensive because they want to go on the muslims good side and not make any enemies. Islam is a bad religion. In fact all religions are bad imo.

Yes it is. See the bold text from your quote above.

Original post by Kitty Pryde
I think that's a bit much. It's not up to Muslims if she breastfeeds her child her not. Telling her to feed her baby in a toilet is also ridiculous.

Honestly, this is so ridiculous. Just another opportunity to have a go at Muslims, obvious just from the title. IT IS NOT OFFENSIVE TO MUSLIMS FOR A MOTHER TO FEED HER BABY - unless there is an indecent public display of the woman's breasts, of course. Even then, it's just up to the Muslim men to avoid her and lower their gaze. So as in OP's edit, yes, you should be having a go at the OFFICIALS.

Rant over :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending