The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Amelie, I would really advise against phoning up the college to find out. To start with, you should receive feedback just as rejected applicants do. This will be sent to your referee. Regardless of whether it is intended, phoning them up could easily give the impression of arrogance (the implication being that you deserve a place, or can't accept that there are better applicants/applicants they prefer). It also implies that you are questioning the judgement of the DoS and the admissions tutor, and regardless of whether this is intended or not, it's probably not the best thing to do given it is technically still possible for you to be pooled to your original college. you can also be pooled to your original college and be given a deferred offer by them. If they don't do this then there's a reason and you'll just have to deal with that. It is slightly worrying that you are so keen on one college. If you do get into cambridge I can assure you that you'll be happy wherever you go. What is the compulsion to go to Pembroke?

MB
I agree with MB regarding the college choice. Whilst a Cambridge college is a big part of the experience, it is not the be all and end all. There are far more similarities between them then differences. The College isn't the be all and end all, because you will meet people from outside of college, through your subject, and even in collge you are guarenteed to find people you like and agree with!

Meh, I actually fell over backwards into the chair in my interview, and it didn;t affact anything... having the interviewers laugh at you is.. well... interesting! Damn, it was such a soft armchair I sat down and kind of fell into it backwards with my feet in the air... classic!
Reply 62
Thanks for the advice I'll take it all onboard :smile:

One thing I don't understand about the pool is how there is still a possibility you can get accepted by your original college. Since the reason you're put in the pool in the first place is because they have no places left :confused:
Reply 63
They could put you in because they are not sure about you and want to see the level of the pooled applicants from other colleges, if you are better they will offer you a place
Amelie
Thanks for the advice I'll take it all onboard :smile:

One thing I don't understand about the pool is how there is still a possibility you can get accepted by your original college. Since the reason you're put in the pool in the first place is because they have no places left :confused:

It's called having their cake and eating it - some colleges pool people and leave spaces so they can fish around in the pool for people they might like. If they don't find anyone they like better, they might take back one of their own applicants! This happened to a friend of mine at Robinson, she said she thought it was quite rude...
Bumblebee3
It's called having their cake and eating it - some colleges pool people and leave spaces so they can fish around in the pool for people they might like. If they don't find anyone they like better, they might take back one of their own applicants! This happened to a friend of mine at Robinson, she said she thought it was quite rude...

Yeah, I know a few people here at Robinson who it's happened to. Who's your friend?

MB
musicbloke
Yeah, I know a few people here at Robinson who it's happened to. Who's your friend?

MB

Ah she dropped out in the 1st term ages ago. Was shocked by the phenomenal work load of freshers' week.
Reply 67
It's not ALWAYS the case though. If a college pools an applicant which they really did want to take, but ends up with no other colleges wanting to accomodate them, the original college might stretch to accomodate that applicant because they honestly think they deserved a chance at cambridge.

that only happens with the oversubscribed colleges though i guess.
musicbloke
There are two slightly strange things that may happen during the pool. Firstly, you may be given an offer by the college you first applied to. In fact, colleges have been encouraged this year to pool their weakest candidate or two in each subject. On the first day of the pool (3rd January) your original college can take you out of the pool, as long as they marked your file to say that they still have an interest in you. This allows colleges to "fish" (their term) for better candidates while retaining an option on the ones they have already. After the 3rd of Jan, they no longer have precedence over other colleges, but they can still make you an offer.

This may seem a bit cruel for candidates, but it's part of the process of finding the best students. As MB said, the education you'll get is pretty much identical, so why penalise good students who happened to pick an over-subscribed college? The pool is there so that the best candidates get places.

Your original college is not allowed to re-interview you, unless there was a major reason that compromised your first interview, like your having a blind panic and saying nothing, or turning up too late, on the wrong day etc.

Each college can say that they wish to make an offer, or they wish to interview. If two or more wish to interview then the candidate is called up and the two colleges arrange to do it as MB said. If either college wishes to raise the stakes, they can then make an offer without interview. If two colleges wish to make an offer, then there's an amount of horse-trading between them and the winner gets you.

To those who claim they'd rather have a rejection than be pooled - simply log on to the UCAS web site and withdraw your application to Cambridge. That will make more rooom for those who really want to go. :wink:

Pooling means that you are a good candidate and that you are, in the opinion of the college, at least "probably worth an offer".
Reply 69
grumballcake
In fact, colleges have been encouraged this year to pool their weakest candidate or two in each subject.

Why pool the weakest applicants? I'm confused and now slightly worried :confused:
EamonnHF
Why pool the weakest applicants? I'm confused and now slightly worried :confused:

I think what he means is that they choose the candidates they think deserve a place and then pool the weakest of them.

MB
musicbloke
I think what he means is that they choose the candidates they think deserve a place and then pool the weakest of them.

MB
EDIT: understand it now...

MB you gonna watch The Thick of It? Very good New Labour spin doctor satire (BBC2 in a few mins)...
morgangills
EDIT: understand it now...

MB you gonna watch The Thick of It? Very good New Labour spin doctor satire (BBC2 in a few mins)...

nah, am watching supersize me on more4.

MB
You're missing out, its brilliant.
lucho22
Pooling has already taken place
Err. No. The pool opens today (3rd) at 12:30 for reading of files. However, the decision to pool was taken by 23rd December. From tomorrow (4th) colleges can mark files to indicate whether they want to interview or make an offer. Your preference college can make you an offer any time up to 5pm on the 4th and they get precedence. After that, each college can decide what they want to do, up until 5pm on Thursday 5th. Any disputes are settled by discussion and/or the toss of a coin.
im in the pool! hope it works out well for everyone, just not if they are applying for medicine lol
Reply 76
grumballcake
Err. No. The pool opens today (3rd) at 12:30 for reading of files. However, the decision to pool was taken by 23rd December. From tomorrow (4th) colleges can mark files to indicate whether they want to interview or make an offer. Your preference college can make you an offer any time up to 5pm on the 4th and they get precedence. After that, each college can decide what they want to do, up until 5pm on Thursday 5th. Any disputes are settled by discussion and/or the toss of a coin.

Yeh sorry I got confused whilst reading some info on the Cam admin site...I would love it if emma gave me a call tomorrow and said: 'we were just kidding!! You've got an offer!!'....like that's going to happen :frown:

NB the other two people applying for MML at my school have gotten offers...I feel like a proper failure...damn it to hell grr
Reply 77
The MML guy from my college got one.. even though I'm pooled for law people will comment.
heyloo... ive officially joined the pool..... for vet med... fingers crossed eh? :smile:
Reply 79
im in the pool too guys, really mixed feeling about it, further interviews would kill me!

Latest

Trending

Trending