how to prepare for my first driving lesson?

Watch
itzme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have no access to a car and I wanted to get familiar with the controls of the car/cockpit drill/moving off and stopping before my first lesson. I know, I don't have to do this, but I would really like to prepare myself. What websites/resources would you advise me to look at?
aeterno
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing can prepare you better than actually sitting in the car and doing it. If you're a pretty quick learner, your first lesson should be relatively easy. There's no point looking this up on a website.
Wahaaaay
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't do too much driving in my first lesson. Don't worry, it's not like they're gonna drive you onto the M1 and be like "OK, take the wheel for a bit while I have a fag"
tufc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most of your first lesson will be spent going through the controls, adjusting the car for you, I know it took around 45 minutes for me and the other people I know before we started moving off. I knew this would probably happen, so for my first lesson, I booked a 2 hour lesson. By the end of that, I had managed to do left turns, and had managed a brief stint in 3rd gear. However much you know, your instructor will still want to go through it with you, so there's really not much preparation you can do. Maybe ask your parents about clutch control so you don't wet yourself the first time you move off.
tufc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Wahaaaay)
I didn't do too much driving in my first lesson. Don't worry, it's not like they're gonna drive you onto the M1 and be like "OK, take the wheel for a bit while I have a fag"
M1 on a Provisional? Someone needs a quick look at their Driving Theory guide. :rolleyes:
tnajamie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I used 2pass.co.uk AWESOME!! step by step.
(Original post by itzme)
I have no access to a car and I wanted to get familiar with the controls of the car/cockpit drill/moving off and stopping before my first lesson. I know, I don't have to do this, but I would really like to prepare myself. What websites/resources would you advise me to look at?
The Real Quaid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd recommend not knowing a thing tbh, that way the instructor can teach you their way and you'll pick it up a lot smoother - without having to correct the mistakes you make because of knowing a different way

e.g. crossing your hands over the steering wheel - my instructor used to say, "you're not Michael Schumacher" :laugh: - he was wrong!
Mechie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think you should do anything. I had my first lesson a couple of weeks ago and I don't think anything I could have read would have made a difference. You'll be told everything you need to know first off from your instructor, and it's important that he goes through it all with you rather than just trusting that you know it. Just relax and look forward to your lesson
itzme
Rep:
?
Thanks for your responses guys! I read somewhere that it is always better to try to understand the controls, the biting point, what's under the bonnet beforehand. I could use my lesson to practice, but I don't want my instructor to spend a lot of time going through everything. It might be a good idea, but it will be too much info for me to memorise. I am a bit worried about cars because I do not have one and I wanted to have a rough idea of what each thing is
DOAADI
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I prefer it if mine are completely green - if they have been misinformed or have misunderstood something it's horrible having to pick them up on it on the first lesson.

I'm surprised (well, not too surprised) that people are saying you won't do much driving on your first lesson. A new pupil of mine had been told that by her boyfriend two weeks ago, but I had her out on the main roads once I knew what she could do - we ended up driving about 20 miles in total. Usually, I make sure a complete beginner will be getting the bite and making the car move within 15 minutes, and driving on progressively larger roads within 15 minutes of that. If I can, I also like to at least introduce the turn in the road or bay park. I've done parallel park on a first lesson with people before if they've said they are worried about how difficult it is.

All instructors do it differently, but you aren't paying to listen to them talk - or shouldn't be, anyway.
itzme
Rep:
?
(Original post by DOAADI)
I prefer it if mine are completely green - if they have been misinformed or have misunderstood something it's horrible having to pick them up on it on the first lesson.

I'm surprised (well, not too surprised) that people are saying you won't do much driving on your first lesson. A new pupil of mine had been told that by her boyfriend two weeks ago, but I had her out on the main roads once I knew what she could do - we ended up driving about 20 miles in total. Usually, I make sure a complete beginner will be getting the bite and making the car move within 15 minutes, and driving on progressively larger roads within 15 minutes of that. If I can, I also like to at least introduce the turn in the road or bay park. I've done parallel park on a first lesson with people before if they've said they are worried about how difficult it is.

All instructors do it differently, but you aren't paying to listen to them talk - or shouldn't be, anyway.
Thank you for your response (i couldn't rate you again as I already did)
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by itzme)
It doesnt matter if you dont have access to a car- your instructor will make you familiar with all the controls before you actually drive anywhere anyway. You could have a look at the highway code. It will help you become familiar with the rules of the road and help when it comes to your theory test.
addylad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by itzme)
Thank you for your response (i couldn't rate you again as I already did)
Meh - until you are at the point when you're just perfecting your driving, you'll slip into bad habits. I had no experience beforehand, and no particular knowledge about cars. I also learned solely with my instructor, and didn't get temporary insurance or anything like that. I passed first time.

I would recommend taking only singles with at least a few days between. You can spend four hours getting used to the biting point to be honest, but it seems that revisiting it helps. Then take a few doubles before your test. I never did a mock test, but I imagine it would be useful.
DeeWave
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think these websites are quite good:

http://www.driveractive.com/
http://www.2pass.co.uk/

It would probably help to have decent highway code knowledge to help with road markings, signs and dealing with traffic, and to at least know the function of each of the controls. It should be fairly straightforward to learn this sort of stuff alone - then you can use your time with the instructor more productively.

Good luck with your driving
lally172
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i think they were joking but okay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads