The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Obvious point... they're looking at raw numbers of students rather than proportions.

UCL has fewer undergraduates than Manchester.

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/hefce/2011/11_20/11_20d.xls
Reply 41
Original post by Misery
No UCL or KCL in this list, but there is Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Southampton? Incredibly peculiar.

Does this not include AAA-A*AA students, or are they swept in with the AAB students as 'above'?

No, it's AAB or above. Either UCL doesn't have that high a proportion, or didn't have enough data or somehting.
Original post by Slumpy
It is pretty unheard of. Even AAB at Oxbridge is pretty damn unusual.

before grade inflation in the earlier part of the 2000s it was'nt unheard of...
Reply 43
Original post by Jon of the North
Emphatically obvious, and yet some people still hold these kind of facts and figures in disdain. KCL's omission seemed odd, but it actually has a number of ABB and BBB courses, so it fits. UCL's omission in bizarre though.

Yeah but that's the same for Nottingham, UCL, Sheffield and KCL :/
Reply 44
Original post by intellectual1
before grade inflation in the earlier part of the 2000s it was'nt unheard of...

Not entirely relevant here though, is it?
Reply 45
Original post by Millz
UCL, KCL, York and Lancaster, they are better than a lot of the universities I highlighted.

true... Exeter, Leeds and Sheffield are not too elite (no disrespect intended).
Original post by chaz1992

there are a high number of affluent students there from some of the most elite schools in the country...
Reply 47
Original post by Slumpy
No, it's AAB or above. Either UCL doesn't have that high a proportion, or didn't have enough data or somehting.

It's based on numbers of students and not proportions. UCL has fewer undergraduates than the other universities mentioned. In terms of percentage, UCL would be in the top 12.
Reply 48

Rating for being of sound mind, lol, a lot of these kids are mad, hahahahaha. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rainman88
It's based on numbers of students and not proportions. UCL has fewer undergraduates than the other universities mentioned. In terms of percentage, UCL would be in the top 12.

UCL and KCL have about 1000+ where as all the others have close to 2000+ that explains why they are not included as part of that list.
Big surprise, the biggest/best universities have large numbers of bright students.

Whatever next? "BBC News : Controversial study reveals almost half the population are female"
Reply 51
Sort of stating the obvious this article.
Reply 52
UCL and KCL have about 1000+ where as all the others have close to 2000+ that explains why they are not included as part of that list.

Then the universities on your list are not the 12 elite are they?
Original post by Millz

:rolleyes: It is'nt my list, I was suprised that UCL and KCL were'nt on the list as much as you were too:eek:
Reply 54
Original post by Millz
Rating for being of sound mind, lol, a lot of these kids are mad, hahahahaha. :wink:

37% of leeds have AAB whereas UCL has 50% AAB
Reply 55
Original post by Millz

:rolleyes: It is'nt my list, I was suprised that UCL and KCL were'nt on the list as much as you were too:eek:

This is not done on percentage of STUDENTS. This is just done on overall amount of students. With UCL and KCL not having as much students as the other options then they won't be able to compete.

If we were doing this based on percentage of students then UCL would be in it as well.

Manchester number of students with AAB = 2623/6562 = 0.3997256933861628 = 39%

UCL AAB - 1376/2712 = 0.5073746312684366 = 50%

That kind of tells a different story ^^^

love how you've omitted southampton from that list
Reply 57
Original post by arob752
love how you've omitted southampton from that list

:colondollar: Just a small bit of bias there.
Original post by FinalMH
This is not done on percentage of STUDENTS. This is just done on overall amount of students. With UCL and KCL not having as much students as the other options then they won't be able to compete.

If we were doing this based on percentage of students then UCL would be in it as well.

Manchester number of students with AAB = 2623/6562 = 0.3997256933861628 = 39%

UCL AAB - 1376/2712 = 0.5073746312684366 = 50%

That kind of tells a different story ^^^

That sure does as UCL is on par with Imperial and LSE in many courses.
Reply 59

UCL and KCL, for example, get the best out of students who may not have received the best grades. That is the true mark of a good university, I believe.

Some of the others named do not perform that grate with, supposedly, better students.

Latest

Trending

Trending