Top students concentrated in just 12 elite universities Watch

This discussion is closed.
intellectual1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...versities.html

It shows that the highest number of AAB students attend Manchester, Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton.

Figures also show 99 per cent of Oxford and Cambridge's UK students in 2009/10 achieved at least AAB – the highest rate in the country.

Imperial College in London admitted 944 students with AAB, equating to 96 per cent of their intake, while 93 per cent of students at the London School of Economics – 617 in total – had these grades.
logic123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
where is UCL?
Usn1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"The top 12 universities have the smartest proportion of students"
Obvious statement is obvious.
Thanks for your insight.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The best students go to the best uni's. So?
jeffercake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by logic123)
where is UCL?
London.

:cool:
Bella Occhi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make here. If they're clever, they're not exactly going to go to London Met.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by intellectual1)
Figures also show 99 per cent of Oxford and Cambridge's UK students in 2009/10 achieved at least AAB – the highest rate in the country.
Um, because people expect it to be lower than that?! :lolwut:
intellectual1
Rep:
?
(Original post by logic123)
where is UCL?
Those are statistics for those that attained AAB grades.
Misery
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

It shows that the highest number of AAB students attend Manchester, Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and Southampton.

Imperial College in London admitted 944 students with AAB, equating to 96 per cent of their intake, while 93 per cent of students at the London School of Economics – 617 in total – had these grades.
No UCL or KCL in this list, but there is Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Southampton? Incredibly peculiar.

Does this not include AAA-A*AA students, or are they swept in with the AAB students as 'above'?

Edit: Four bitter students with sub-par grades from the latter collection of universities, and counting. It's okay guys, you'll get there some day. Once you collect your near-worthless transcript, just Google 'job seeker's allowance' whilst you keep aiming for that elusive graduate scheme at Tesco.
(:Becca(:
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No **** Sherlock.
intellectual1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Misery)
No UCL or KCL in this list, but there is Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Southampton? Incredibly peculiar.

Does this not include AAA-A*AA students, or are they swept in with the AAB students as 'above'?
It only includes AAB students, KCL and UCL tend to have far greater numbers achieving in excess of AAB, with alot of A*AA and AAA students.
oli_G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
News just in. People with good grades try for the best Unis.
Casshern1456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are UCL, KCL not also among "Elites".
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

A-Levels are certainly not an accurate measure of intelligence. You'd be hard-pushed to make a case for such watered-down rubbish, especially after the Labour government interfered again a few years ago to include more social/political/economic/green objectives. A-Levels aren't academic any more; they're just a popular study choice.

Edit: Go on, all you 0-power neg reppers, provide me with a counter-argument. When I did A-Levels,they were pointless; they're slightly more pointless now. Academia in the UK is far from what it used to be, and far from what it should be if you ask me.
Misery
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It only includes AAB students, KCL and UCL tend to have far greater numbers achieving in excess of AAB, with alot of A*AA and AAA students. However they also have lower offers for many of their other courses.
That explains it, then.
IlexBlue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
...Because clearly someone who got three As would think "ho hum, I have a place at Durham... nahhh, I think I prefer London Met."
torchwood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dont understand the point of this thread...

You could just make another thread stating that all the applicants for the most competative courses such as medicine, dentistry, vet science e.t.c. all achieve at least AAB but is it really necessary to state this?
Zottula
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surely the proportion of AAB students is more telling. A bigger university is likely going to have a larger number of people with a particular set of grades.

Anyway, hardly surprising that the top achievers go on to top universities.
whattheheck
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
" "The remainder of bright students living in the UK are shared between ..."

The author of this report clearly does not know the difference between England and the UK.

Data were published by HEFCE and so only account for universities in England. Many of the UK's top universities are not in England -- e.g. Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Stirling.

I wonder how different the picture looks when the rest of the UK is included."

A comment from the article.
Waqar Y
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Shock, horror!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.74%
Excited (123)
8.25%
Worried (279)
18.71%
Terrified (343)
23%
Meh (124)
8.32%
Confused (35)
2.35%