The Student Room Group

Does love really exist?

OK, I used to believe in love but now I believe that there is nothing like love, it doesn't exist. Love is just a poor feeling that starts because of some change in our hormones & mainly it's our psychological need, maybe I am wrong, I don't know. Actually, I met a girl, told her my feelings, and she told me that she had the same feelings for me, and now I have found her with someone else. I don't believe in this nonsense anymore, I was quite happy in my life before I met her, but now I feel like a fool who has been cheated :s-smilie:. Anyway, please don't bash me if you think my question is absurd but if there is any logical explanation of my question then I will be more than happy to read it.
Thanks in advance :wink:

Edited note: SORRY @ all, I was too quick in making assumptions.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Love exists. But is love is like a business?
If you mean love in the spiritual or mystical sense then no, it doesn't exist. But in a psychobiological sense then it definately exists.
Reply 3
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Love exists. But is love is like a business?

I guess, Yes! in this era of globalisation, it's not more than a trade.
Reply 4
What is love, baby don't hurt me!
Reply 5
I don't know. I was happy before I met my girlfriend, I neevr thought of love, could of easily lived without it.

Now we have broke up, if there is "love" I guess that it what I felt for her. It was strong.

But, now I wish I never fell in love, and wish it didn't exist because it hurts a lot.

I was happy before "love"... -.-'' But then again, there was moments in the relationship I have never felt so happy in my life.....but it is so up and down. And highs are incredible. The lows are pure pain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Love is just a level of affection. It simply means you like someone a lot.
If it does, I'm yet to find it.
Reply 8
NO!!!
Reply 9
Hell yeah it exists.

Even if it's a hormonal reaction, it's still love and it feels good and why pick it apart?
Reply 10
Original post by cateyes1234
OK, I used to believe in love but now I believe that there is nothing like love, it doesn't exist. Love is just a poor feeling that starts because of some change in our hormones & mainly it's our psychological need, maybe I am wrong, I don't know. Actually, I met a girl, told her my feelings, and she told me that she had the same feelings for me, and now I have found her with someone else. I don't believe in this nonsense anymore, I was quite happy in my life before I met her, but now I feel like a fool who has been cheated :s-smilie:. Anyway, please don't bash me if you think my question is absurd but if there is any logical explanation of my question then I will be more than happy to read it.

Just because she didn't have the same feelings for you doesn't mean that love isn't out there.

If I'm completely honest I'd say that if love didn't exist then us men would rule 100% of the world with an iron fist and have women locked up in cages to use as sex objects and for procreation purposes only. Obvioulsy we are much stronger so that would pretty much be the end of it. I'd have no less than 4 girls locked up in my closet, and I'm sure you'd have a few yourself.

But no, that doesn't happen. Why? Because of Love, it stops us from doing such things (at least most of us :P).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Honestly read some DH Lawrence and you'll see picking it apart is not only futile but ugly. Soak it up, there's nothing better out there!
Reply 12
Not smart or worth discounting the idea of love based on ONE bad experience when there are many people who've had great ones.

You might choose not to pursue it or believe it stands a chance of lasting, but yes it exists whether you like it or not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13

one day, your life wil also be like the movies

don't be so cynical

I do believe love is real, because I love my boyfriend.

Trust, honesty, tolerance, affection, loyalty and understanding that our relationship has, to me personally, proves that we are in love. :redface:

Well it is an emotion, isn't it. So it exists in that respect. But then what is an emotion, if not just an interpretation of certain chemicals and electrical signals by the brain?
Reply 16
I'm moderately disdainful of love; it does exist, but I don't believe it's personally justified.

Love is the name we give to the perception of chemical states in our brain. It is possible to use various brain scanning techniques to determine whether a person is "in love" or not; it is real, but it is a purely scientific phenomenon rather than the pervasive idealised notion of being something divine or 'pure'. We fall in love not because of decision or free will, but rather it's our subconscious attempting to satisfy its biological imperatives - bribing us into becoming sexually involved with a person and sticking with them long enough to raise offspring. It's just one more bias built into us through millions of years of natural selection.

Love's really not very romantic in my opinion.
Reply 17
It's natural that you would feel devastated after that happened to you, but it doesn't mean that love doesn't exist. The world is full of liars, cheaters, and players. But there are also a lot of kind, caring, loyal, and dedicated people out there. You had a bad experience but don't let that one girl change your view on all women and all relationships. There are good ones and bad ones. When you find a good one, you will believe in love again :smile:
In my experience...nope, all thats ever happened to me is getting ****ed about and my head messed with by girls, love doesn't exist...not for me anyway :moon:
Original post by Manzzzzz
What is love, baby don't hurt me!

don't hurt me...

no more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending