The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by ellie_the_owl
Decided to come back on the wagon, need to lose some weight before Uni, stuff just kept coming up that was unrealistic for me to be dieting through, A level results,Leeds fest and a trip to my Grandmas.

Going to try the 5k challenge thing and will hopefully start tonight.
Foodwise though I struggle with lunches as I'm okay making low calorie breakfasts and dinner any advice?

It's hard to say really, without knowing what you have for breakfast and dinner, as I think you should plan your eating for the whole day. For example, I nearly always have soup & salad or sushi (which I would recommend to you), but that only works because I have a big bowl of cereal every morning and fish/meat for dinner if I haven't had any for lunch. It also depends on what's available in your area - no point deciding to eat sushi, for example, unless you can actually get ahold of some!
Went to town earlier, and went to Shush (don't know if many places have them to be honest..) and managed to get into a top which was a size 12!! It's a bit tight around the bum (long top) but the 14 looked silly so bought it :biggrin:. That's the GOOD news.

The bad news is that my scales are dead, and I'm taking that to mean that I can eat whatever I like because I can't see the consequences, lol :-(.
Perhaps you should look at this as a positive thing. So many people trying to lose weight get into bad relationships with their scales, it becomes obsessive and it can be hard psychologically when you're constantly checking your weight and noticing fluctuations which'll naturally happen. It can be pretty tricky to pinpoint exactly why and it's not something that should be dwelled on, maybe focus on how you feel in yourself while you don't have access to the numbers?

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Went to town earlier, and went to Shush (don't know if many places have them to be honest..) and managed to get into a top which was a size 12!! It's a bit tight around the bum (long top) but the 14 looked silly so bought it :biggrin:. That's the GOOD news.

The bad news is that my scales are dead, and I'm taking that to mean that I can eat whatever I like because I can't see the consequences, lol :-(.
I'm in! Had a month out of the gym as I was working on summer camps and was exhausted and had laser eye surgery so wasn't allowed to work out for the last week. My stats are:
Height - 5ft 6
Weight - 68.5kg
Ideally, I would like to get down to at least 63kg so got a way to go yet. How achievable do you think this is before 5th October (which is when I go travelling)?
Went for a 5k run this afternoon and took me 3mins longer than it used to so aiming to get my fitness up as well!
Spinning was brutal. So much sweat. I thought I was just completely unfit, came home from spinning tonight and complained to my mum at the fact I had sweat dripping off me. She thinks it's because I'm getting fitter. Apparently fit people sweat more. I said to her that I don't want to be fit then, if it means I'll be sweaty... :biggrin:
Is this just a myth?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Shawshank
Perhaps you should look at this as a positive thing. So many people trying to lose weight get into bad relationships with their scales, it becomes obsessive and it can be hard psychologically when you're constantly checking your weight and noticing fluctuations which'll naturally happen. It can be pretty tricky to pinpoint exactly why and it's not something that should be dwelled on, maybe focus on how you feel in yourself while you don't have access to the numbers?

Yeah I will do. I'll have to get some more eventually but probably not until next week, so will have a week of no scales.. and hopefully I'll stop stressing quite so much in the middle of the week!!

Got to get a good loss this week, as it's my 21st next week so got no chance then!
Breakfast: Sultanas
Brunch: Tun and red onion omlette with cherry tomatos
Snacks: Apple, chocolate chip cookie (one of the big ones)
Dinner: Sweet potato chilli with rice, guacamole and tzaziki (small tablespoon of each), fat free yoghurt
Late: 2 squares of dark chocolate

Exercise: 2.6 mile run, 40 minute walk

-------

The cookie was a bit naughty, I know, but today was my last shift at work, and I've never used my afternoon food allowence, so I decided to treat myself. Still under my 1500 calorie taget anyway.

The next couple of days aren't going to be good. It's my 21st on Thursday, so we're going out for a meal that evening, and will be having cake as well. Then tomorrow night, my friends are coming round to celebrate, and we're having a girly night in with wine, a takeaway and Ben & Jerry's (although I got the frozen yoghurt version). I'm not going to get too stressed about it - you're only 21 once :biggrin: I'll just step up my gymming for the next few days.
Reply 1987
I've been so RUBBISH these last couple of weeks...I'm all out of sync what with placements then Reading Festival (10am cans of Budweiser are gonna start to take their toll! :p:) and work etc etc

Ill be back in uni from the 13th so gonna get back into a routine of gym and healthy eating :smile:

My mum has made two big fat victoria sponge cakes...its like a ploy to make me fat again :frown: Roll on uni and buying my own food!
Reply 1988
Original post by hannydee
Spinning was brutal. So much sweat. I thought I was just completely unfit, came home from spinning tonight and complained to my mum at the fact I had sweat dripping off me. She thinks it's because I'm getting fitter. Apparently fit people sweat more. I said to her that I don't want to be fit then, if it means I'll be sweaty... :biggrin:
Is this just a myth?

I sweat more since I've been running more.... I can't think of any scientific reason why that might be the case though :h:

Original post by xxbutterbeanxx

Went for a 5k run this afternoon and took me 3mins longer than it used to so aiming to get my fitness up as well!

Out of interest, how long does it take you to run that? My dad runs it in 23 minutes but I'm still on 27 minutes and was wondering what other people were managing!
(edited 12 years ago)
Is this just a myth?

Haha, I think it is actually true. I can't remember where I read it but apparently if you're fit you're body is more efficient in cooling down quicker or summat like that. I have noticed it myself over time. You should see the state of me half the time haha :smile: I usually bring a flannel with me so I don't feel so bad. Well done for the gym AND spinning x

I weighed myself today. I did it after I had breakfast etc when I'd normally do it before. I was just testing the scales before Thurs to see if I was heading in the right direction. I expected it to say 1 or 2 lb more than it did last time with me eating and drinking all morning etc but to my shock I'm under 11 stone now! Came in at 10 st 13 lb. I'm not expecting much change before Thurs. If it goes up/fluctuates hopefully it's no more than half a pound. I'd love it to say 10 st 13 lb again or even 10 st 12 lb as that will be 9 or 10 lb lost this month. I've been on cloud nine all day cos of it.
Reply 1990
Is this just a myth?

I get that, especially from spin class! Try to sit behind a fan, if your gym has them...
Official weigh in day today - I've lost 1.75lbs :biggrin:
Reply 1992
For those of you talking about fit people sweating more, I found this:

As you get in better shape, your body learns to cool itself more efficiently. Blood is shunted to the skin’s surface more quickly via tiny blood vessels that dilate and radiate heat away from the body. At the same time, the sweat glands increase their output of a fluid-and-sodium mixture, which cools the body as it evaporates. While fit people produce more sweat than sedentary folks, they lose less salt, because more of it is reabsorbed by the body’s cells as it travels from the sweat glands to the skin’s surface. The result: More copious and diluted sweat, and more rapid cooling.

Sounds good to me!
Reply 1993
Original post by ellie_the_owl
Decided to come back on the wagon, need to lose some weight before Uni, stuff just kept coming up that was unrealistic for me to be dieting through, A level results,Leeds fest and a trip to my Grandmas.

Going to try the 5k challenge thing and will hopefully start tonight.
Foodwise though I struggle with lunches as I'm okay making low calorie breakfasts and dinner any advice?

Are you usually at home for your lunches or do you work/ are out?

I tend to mix between sandwiches, salads and soups.

I make a big batch of soup in one go then stick it in the fridge or freezer (usually 5 portions made at once or something), although if I have soup I have to make sure I get enough protein from other sources throughout the day, because it's usually just vegetables.
For salad I'll boil a couple of eggs of have a chicken breast with lettuce/ cucumber/ peppers/ tomatoes.
Sandwiches I have two slices of brown bread with tuna/ salmon/ chicken with some lettuce.
Those are 300-400 calories lunches, because I break my day down by having 300kcals for breakfast, 400 for lunch, 500 for dinner with 300 left over for snacks, which are fruit/ veg/ nuts/ etc. :smile:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33759951']Official weigh in day today - I've lost 1.75lbs :biggrin:

Well done! & I actually managed to rep you lol miracle!
Original post by Vulpix

Original post by Vulpix

Out of interest, how long does it take you to run that? My dad runs it in 23 minutes but I'm still on 27 minutes and was wondering what other people were managing!

My fastest time was 25mins 53 but now it's almost 30mins :-( my friend who is a personal trainer said anything under 28mins is pretty good. 23 mins is really quick though! My aim is to try and get down to about 24mins and I'll be happy. I think serious runners can do it in about 18mins or so! Time will also depend on how hilly it is and I now run on grass (because of recurring shin splints) which definitely takes me longer now because I'm always rolling my ankles in hidden holes in the grass!

My fastest time was 25mins 53 but now it's almost 30mins :-( my friend who is a personal trainer said anything under 28mins is pretty good. 23 mins is really quick though! My aim is to try and get down to about 24mins and I'll be happy. I think serious runners can do it in about 18mins or so! Time will also depend on how hilly it is and I now run on grass (because of recurring shin splints) which definitely takes me longer now because I'm always rolling my ankles in hidden holes in the grass!

Someone at my local park run has run it (it's a 5k run) in 15 minutes. Decided I definitely wasn't going to do it after seeing that!
My healthy life went out the window on a wave of pizza, far too much alcohol and laziness.

:nopity:
Reply 1998
I've been away for ages!
Last week was awful for me, I have torn a muscle in my shoulder and it hurt so bad but now it is slowly recovering and getting back into exercising. But this meant I may have gone over calories.
BUT
Today I weighed myself and I'm exactly 12st! Finally! I lost 1.8 lbs so hopefully I can break this painful barrier of being in the 12's since I have been in it for a year!
Yay! :biggrin:
New top :-). It's a size 12, but a big size 12 obviously ha ha.

Spoiler

Latest