The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dreaminchicken
Woohoo!! I just weighed myself and I'm definitely under 11 st now. I'm 10 st 12 lb and thrilled to bits about it. I lost 9.75 lb last month which is fab. If I can lose maybe 7 - 10 lbs again this month I'll be so happy. I think 7 lb is more realistic but you never know. Time for breakfast, some abs and a trip to the gym. I've got a date with the treadmill x

Well done that's fantastic :-).

Woohoo!! I just weighed myself and I'm definitely under 11 st now. I'm 10 st 12 lb and thrilled to bits about it. I lost 9.75 lb last month which is fab. If I can lose maybe 7 - 10 lbs again this month I'll be so happy. I think 7 lb is more realistic but you never know. Time for breakfast, some abs and a trip to the gym. I've got a date with the treadmill x

Hoorah! Well done! I was going to go to the gym this morning too (might've seen you there, haha) but then remembered I had a dentist appointment. Now my mouth is numbed to high heaven so I can't face the gym for fear I'll dribble all over the machines. Dentists suck.
Going to do some pilates later on I think and maybe a bit of Jillian M - all in the privacy of my own home - to compensate.
Original post by Sorani
My clothes size drives me insane, I'm still a size 12 even though I'm 20lbs lighter. My boobs can get into a 10, my waist can't and I'm pear-shaped so my lower-body is always a lot bigger than my upper-body. I was at some point wearing a 14 on my lower body but...it's all so confusing. Shops don't help, recently I wore a size 16 skirt in Matalan and a size 18 top in some cheap no-name clothes shop.

Best way to find out what size you are is to regularly measure yourself then go onto the websites you normally shop in and see what your current clothes size is. Also maybe go into a couple of clothes shops and try on some clothes as you may find that you have gone down a clothes size already
Reply 2023
Original post by Chrisateen
Best way to find out what size you are is to regularly measure yourself then go onto the websites you normally shop in and see what your current clothes size is. Also maybe go into a couple of clothes shops and try on some clothes as you may find that you have gone down a clothes size already

Yeah, I'm going on holiday on Tuesday so I'm gonna do a little bit of clothes shopping on Monday. I don't really have one shop that I go to the most but I'll have a look around and see if there's any change.
Ok guys, I'm really worried about my friend, and I could use people's advice.
I wrote a thread about it here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1762697 - I really need advice on this so would really appreciate it if you guys wouldn't mind helping. Thanks xx
Reply 2025
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I wrote a thread about it here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1762697 - I really need advice on this so would really appreciate it if you guys wouldn't mind helping. Thanks xx

As someone who used to have this problem (not throwing up, but definitely not eating) it's really sad to tell you but there isn't much you can do. I *knew* what I was doing was unhealthy and I *knew* that it was wrong, but you get into the mindset that all that matters is losing weight regardless of any toll it takes on your health. If she has only just started doing this, then you may be able to help it not spiral into being out of control - keep talking to her, don't be hard on her, be as supportive as you possibly can be in telling her that she doesn't need to do any of this.

Is she depressed or has any of this sort of thing come up before? Or is this all new?
Original post by Sorani
As someone who used to have this problem (not throwing up, but definitely not eating) it's really sad to tell you but there isn't much you can do. I *knew* what I was doing was unhealthy and I *knew* that it was wrong, but you get into the mindset that all that matters is losing weight regardless of any toll it takes on your health. If she has only just started doing this, then you may be able to help it not spiral into being out of control - keep talking to her, don't be hard on her, be as supportive as you possibly can be in telling her that she doesn't need to do any of this.

Is she depressed or has any of this sort of thing come up before? Or is this all new?

She has been depressed before, but I don't think she is at the moment. It's really hard to say to be honest, because her partner suffers from depression and does unhealthy dieting. I do think (especially after spending the summer there) that it's kind of rubbing off?
I just really don't want her to go down this road. She will feel awful, be really unhealthy, and it will only make things harder for her in our final year.

I guess just keep suggesting that she comes running with you, and that you cook healthy meals together, and hope that she comes round. I hope she changes her mind.

I'm off to the gym on my birthday xD Feels slightly loserish, but I have a free afternoon, and I find the gym quite relaxing - there are TVs in all the machines, so I can sit and watch TV at home, or watch it while burning a few calories :smile: Plus, I'm going out for dinner with family this evening, and will be having cake later, so I figure I should make up for it a little bit.
Reply 2028
Just back from a really good run. I think I'm actually starting to enjoy this running thing and I'm going to aim to keep going twice a week after I hopefully manage my first 10k on Sunday.

I've been eating healthily, but only doing cardio so wasn't expecting anything when I stepped on the scales this morning. I now weigh 65kg which is a loss of 1.5kg in the past week :smile: and the weight I wanted to achieve by the start of uni (19th september).

Now I seriously need to get stronger. I would like to be a farm vet and at the moment I'm just not physically strong enough and still get laughed at by the farmers.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well done that's fantastic :-).

Thank you :-)

Original post by hannydee
Hoorah! Well done! I was going to go to the gym this morning too (might've seen you there, haha) but then remembered I had a dentist appointment. Now my mouth is numbed to high heaven so I can't face the gym for fear I'll dribble all over the machines. Dentists suck.
Going to do some pilates later on I think and maybe a bit of Jillian M - all in the privacy of my own home - to compensate.

Aww that's a shame....prob just as well anyway. You missed a right old sight with me busting a gut on the treadmill haha. I managed to do 15 mins non-stop so I'm pleased with that. I think having a day off from exercise yesterday helped. Hope your face is feeling better soon and prob bump into you at the gym at some point I am sure. I might go again tomo. Either that or outside for a bit of a run x
Reply 2030
She has been depressed before, but I don't think she is at the moment. It's really hard to say to be honest, because her partner suffers from depression and does unhealthy dieting. I do think (especially after spending the summer there) that it's kind of rubbing off?
I just really don't want her to go down this road. She will feel awful, be really unhealthy, and it will only make things harder for her in our final year.

Yeah, that could well be. When you have these unhealthy eating patterns, having someone else doing it is going to help you justify it to yourself - so I can see why she might get it off her partner as well. Like I say, the best thing you can do is to support her, help her develop a healthy eating plan and exercise but if, say, in a few weeks this is still happening then you might need to get advice from a professional. Hopefully it won't go that far, though.
Quick question: those of you who go to the gym in the morning, do you eat anything before your workout or do you leave it until after?
Quick question: those of you who go to the gym in the morning, do you eat anything before your workout or do you leave it until after?

If I go in the morning, I tend to eat either a bowl of cereal or a boiled egg before going. By the time I actually make it to the gym, it's about an hour later (cause it takes me way too long to get ready in the morning xD)
I went clothes shopping today (more trying than actually buying), and everything that I tried on fitted in a size 8 :biggrin:. I know clothes sizes vary depending on which shop you are in, and that you shouldn't be happy/unhappy based on a clothes size but 12 weeks ago there was no chance of me fitting into a size 8 anywhere, so this really made me realize that I have lost a few inches. :smile:
Original post by Shockolate
I went clothes shopping today (more trying than actually buying), and everything that I tried on fitted in a size 8 :biggrin:. I know clothes sizes vary depending on which shop you are in, and that you shouldn't be happy/unhappy based on a clothes size but 12 weeks ago there was no chance of me fitting into a size 8 anywhere, so this really made me realize that I have lost a few inches. :smile:

Well done that's brilliant!

I had a similar experience today, and fitted into my first ever pair of size 14 jeans from Peacock's :-). Never been able to fit into that size before from any shop I normally buy from, so it was a lovely experience!

I am very much looking forward to the fact that I'm going to be an official size 14 on my 21st birthday.. 4 dress sizes to what I was on my last birthday!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well done that's brilliant!

I had a similar experience today, and fitted into my first ever pair of size 14 jeans from Peacock's :-). Never been able to fit into that size before from any shop I normally buy from, so it was a lovely experience!

I am very much looking forward to the fact that I'm going to be an official size 14 on my 21st birthday.. 4 dress sizes to what I was on my last birthday!

That's amazing, well done :smile: I bet you are so glad you stuck with it. Are you treating yourself to a new birthday outfit? :smile:
Did the 45 minutes I planned to on the Wii Fit today :biggrin: Also did a load of Yoga and Muscle exercises alongside my 30 mins of Aerobic exercises... I can really feel it in my abs >_< But I guess that's good! :biggrin:

I eat a breakfast bar before I go. Then when I come home I have a banana and glass of milk. If I don't eat something when I get back home sometimes I feel a bit ill so I just have a snack before I do anything else.

I eat a breakfast bar before I go. Then when I come home I have a banana and glass of milk. If I don't eat something when I get back home sometimes I feel a bit ill so I just have a snack before I do anything else.

Yeah, I'm all for eating after a workout! Supposedly you should have carbs before then protein within an hour after finishing your workout.
I'm just a bit iffy on the eating beforehand bit if I'm looking to burn fat though. I've read mixed opinions. Some say don't eat so that your body will use up its fat stores instead of the food you've just eaten; others say eat so that your body has enough fuel and doesn't end up using up muscle stores; and others say your body will only eat up its muscle stores if you're doing an endurance exercise (i.e. 2 hours steady running).
Just don't know what to believe! I guess a lot of it will be trial and error though, and since I'm just starting out at the gym I should experiment to see what gets the best results, I suppose...

Anyway, in other news: I had a bit of an off-day today. Walked the dog for 40 minutes, but didn't do 30DS like I'd planned, or my Pilates. Instead I am now in bed. Been a good day food-wise though, and I guess my body will benefit from this rest :biggrin:
I'm just a bit iffy on the eating beforehand bit if I'm looking to burn fat though. I've read mixed opinions. Some say don't eat so that your body will use up its fat stores instead of the food you've just eaten; others say eat so that your body has enough fuel and doesn't end up using up muscle stores; and others say your body will only eat up its muscle stores if you're doing an endurance exercise (i.e. 2 hours steady running).
Just don't know what to believe! I guess a lot of it will be trial and error though, and since I'm just starting out at the gym I should experiment to see what gets the best results, I suppose...

I think a lot of it is down to personal preference - if I don't eat something small beforehand (a slice of toast or a piece of fruit) I end up feeling weak and shaky. That might just be psychosomatic but it's what happens to me!

Latest