The Student Room Group

What in your opinion is the best university in the UK for engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
As long as the university is Russel Group or 1994 group then you're practically guaranteed you'll have a good degree and great employment prospects to go with it.

Ultimately, you're leaving any decent engineering university with a strong skill base in high level maths, problem solving and team work. It's not really worth the time to consider which university is the best just choose the university you can see yourself studying happily in.
Reply 61
Just wondering, but what is the ranking of Portsmouth Uni for Electronic engineering? I work at an engineering firm and most of the guys at work said that it's very good and some have passed through it with 1st or 2.1's. Not to fussed about coming out and looking for work as I'll have the experience I need, just curious as to how good the university is.
Reply 62
Original post by ABaruwal
I'm in no way trying to say it's a bad uni for the course you want to do... I was just comparing it with the top unis.
I would be really happy, if I was you and stop worrying.

yer, but i'm all about top uni's, engineering's not really what i'm after anyway, just having fun with it for a while :h:
Reply 63
Original post by Shining.J
Can you tell something about aero/mech department of Manchester. I am an intern'l student getting confused about going to Manchester or Bath. Manchester got really nice overall international reputation but it sucks in local rankings/student satisfaction surveys etc.

Thanks.

Seriously I have no idea on Aerospace, but I can tell you that Manchester has a very strong reputation internationally and in EEE the student satisfaction rate is 98%.

Bath is also really strong for engineering and has higher entry standards than Manchester but it lacks international reputation, and it is hardly known outside UK.

So go, where you feel you can live happily for the next 3 years, both are top notch for engineering, ignore the league tables, they are ****. Both universities have alot of quality.
Reply 64
I'll throw one into the mix - Cranfield.
Original post by xuntu
Seriously I have no idea on Aerospace, but I can tell you that Manchester has a very strong reputation internationally and in EEE the student satisfaction rate is 98%.

Bath is also really strong for engineering and has higher entry standards than Manchester but it lacks international reputation, and it is hardly known outside UK.

So go, where you feel you can live happily for the next 3 years, both are top notch for engineering, ignore the league tables, they are ****. Both universities have alot of quality.

Thanks.
Original post by xuntu

Xuntu, you have the exact same opinion as I do. I decided to ask to get released into Clearing from Bristol in order to make it into Manchester. Dont know why some people are saying the Manchester doesnt have good reputation. The new rankings place it 2nd for EEE in the UK with 98% student satisfaction. It has huge links with industry and is very research intensive. Its also placed 30th worldwide.

I've lived in Manchester from 1992-1998, so I just cant wait to return there!

Btw, which country are you from Xuntu? Im from Bangladesh.
....saying that* Manchester....
University of Southampton because it's the only university in the UK to get 5* ratings across it's entire departmental research assessment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xuntu

So choose your university wisely, for example I chose Manchester over Southampton, because both of them are really good and almost equal in EEE but there is a huge difference between the overall reputation. Manchester is way ahead and probably among the top 25-30 universities of the world.

Considering the OP has given no indication that they intend to work abroad, surely the domestic reputation should take presidence? In which case, Southampton is ranked 14th-18th across the for main domestic rankings publishers (The Times, The Sunday Times, The Guardian and the Independent), Manchester is usually ranked ~30th.
Reply 70
Original post by Denizen Bubble
Considering the OP has given no indication that they intend to work abroad, surely the domestic reputation should take presidence? In which case, Southampton is ranked 14th-18th across the for main domestic rankings publishers (The Times, The Sunday Times, The Guardian and the Independent), Manchester is usually ranked ~30th.

Well, you are really quoting me out of the context, read my full post and you will understand, I talked about Factors and preferences, a person first should write down his preferences and then decide a uni, everyone has his different factors, for you maybe the Domestic Ranking is more important, while for someone like me International Prestige is more Important, so its all down to the person himself, and I think, many things apart from academics also matter like city, social life, graduate prospects etc, so choose your university wisely as you have spend next 3-4 years there.

Well, I think domestic league tables are not accurate, Southampton is no doubt a very good university especially its engineering department, but Manchester as an overall university is much better than Southampton both Domestically and Internationally, plus it has a very renowned engineering department which was known as UMIST before.
All in all, I can say that Both are very good for engineering, and there is not much difference in them, both are top notch, but internationally there is huge gap between them, I'm not talking about the internationally rankings, no i wont talk about it, I'm just talking about the reputation of Manchester due to its large number of Nobel Peace prize winners, strongest research power after Oxbridge, the famous city, and widespread alumni across all over the world.

Even if you look at rankings which I dont think is appropriate, you will see that Manchester performs very well in EEE rankings, there is not much difference between them, while internationally there is a huge difference as you find Manchester in top 25-30 universities of the world and Southampton is not even found in top 100 i suppose. but this is not an accurate measure as I said Southampton has a great engineering department, but Manchester has a great engineering department too plus it has a great overall reputation plus it has a very good international reputation.
I hope this helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xuntu

Well, I think domestic league tables are not accurate, Southampton is no doubt a very good university especially its engineering department, but Manchester as an overall university is much better than Southampton Domestically....

This is an enitirely baseless assertion with no grounding in reality. Southampton significantly outperforms Manchester in every domestic rankings table published in the UK. Each of these tables are compiled independently and each has nuances in assessment methodology, placing varying emphasis on different aspects of the quality of each institution. Typically the domestic tables concentrate on aspects such as teaching quality, graduate employment, student satisfaction and the results of the RAE. All of which are important factors in determining the overall quality of a university. To claim that one of these tables may be inaccurate, backed up by some kind of evidence (which you have failed to provide) is one thing, but to claim they are all inaccurate without a shred of proof is ridiculous.

Original post by xuntu

All in all, I can say that Both are very good for engineering, and there is not much difference in them, both are top notch.

On this we are agreed.

Original post by xuntu

but internationally there is huge gap between them, I'm not talking about the internationally rankings, no i wont talk about it, I'm just talking about the reputation of Manchester due to its large number of Nobel Peace prize winners, strongest research power after Oxbridge, the famous city, and widespread alumni across all over the world..

I'm not aware of a large numbers of University of Manchester graduates who have won the "Nobel Peace prize", I presume you meant to say Nobel prize winnners? In any case, I fail to see how the number of Nobel prize winners amongst the alumni of an institution is going to significantly improve the experience of students studying there. In addition, the "research power" and the "widespread alumni" of Manchester are merely comments regarding the size rather than the quality of the university. The are many universities in the UK, which are much smaller than Manchester, that cannot boast either of these things, but they are still widely regarded as far more prestigious than Manchester. Places such as Durham, St Andrews and York for example.

Whilst I agree that rankings tables have their limitations, I'm not sure an ambiguous and subjective measure of "prestege", based on factors which are largely irrelevant to current students, is a better way to determine an institution's reputation. Rankings tables are by no means perfect, but I for one, am more interested in teaching quality and graduate employment, than I am about how "widespread" the alumni are.

Original post by xuntu

while internationally there is a huge difference as you find Manchester in top 25-30 universities of the world and Southampton is not even found in top 100 i suppose.

In fact, Southampton was placed 90th in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 81st in the QS World University Rankings and 32nd in the world in the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities. Thus, I think it's fair to say you have exagerrated Manchester's outperformance of Southampton in the international rankings. Moreover, Manchester's international standing in these tables says much more about the size of the university rather than it's quality. I'm not saying that Manchester is a bad university, far from it, but if you knew anything about the methodology of the international rankings assessments, you'd know that they place a large emphasise on the quantity, as well as the quality of research. This puts large universities like Manchester at a distinct advantage over smaller universities, which still conduct excellent research but in smaller quantities.
Reply 72
This is an enitirely baseless assertion with no grounding in reality. Southampton significantly outperforms Manchester in every domestic rankings table published in the UK. Each of these tables are compiled independently and each has nuances in assessment methodology, placing varying emphasis on different aspects of the quality of each institution. Typically the domestic tables concentrate on aspects such as teaching quality, graduate employment, student satisfaction and the results of the RAE. All of which are important factors in determining the overall quality of a university. To claim that one of these tables may be inaccurate, backed up by some kind of evidence (which you have failed to provide) is one thing, but to claim they are all inaccurate without a shred of proof is ridiculous.

On this we are agreed.

I'm not aware of a large numbers of University of Manchester graduates who have won the "Nobel Peace prize", I presume you meant to say Nobel prize winnners? In any case, I fail to see how the number of Nobel prize winners amongst the alumni of an institution is going to significantly improve the experience of students studying there. In addition, the "research power" and the "widespread alumni" of Manchester are merely comments regarding the size rather than the quality of the university. The are many universities in the UK, which are much smaller than Manchester, that cannot boast either of these things, but they are still widely regarded as far more prestigious than Manchester. Places such as Durham, St Andrews and York for example.

Whilst I agree that rankings tables have their limitations, I'm not sure an ambiguous and subjective measure of "prestege", based on factors which are largely irrelevant to current students, is a better way to determine an institution's reputation. Rankings tables are by no means perfect, but I for one, am more interested in teaching quality and graduate employment, than I am about how "widespread" the alumni are.

In fact, Southampton was placed 90th in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 81st in the QS World University Rankings and 32nd in the world in the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities. Thus, I think it's fair to say you have exagerrated Manchester's outperformance of Southampton in the international rankings. Moreover, Manchester's international standing in these tables says much more about the size of the university rather than it's quality. I'm not saying that Manchester is a bad university, far from it, but if you knew anything about the methodology of the international rankings assessments, you'd know that they place a large emphasise on the quantity, as well as the quality of research. This puts large universities like Manchester at a distinct advantage over smaller universities, which still conduct excellent research but in smaller quantities.

Well, as Manchester is a very large university with over 40,000 thousand students, its more difficult to satisfy everyone, so its obvious that the national student survey is low. This puts small universities at a distinct advantage over large universities in Local rankings and thats why Manchester doesnt not perform well in domestic rankings due to low student satisfaction rate, moreover we all know how inaccurate the methods of student satisfaction rates are, and then we have stupid value Added score on Guardian, I mean I can go on and on exposing the stupidity in the league tables but I wont waste my time here, this discussion has been done alot of times on Student room , you can consult those threads. In fact, no employer looks at the league tables, you ask anyone, they consider them **** and useless.

University of Manchester has a very high quality research profile and is counted among the leading
universities in the world. In addition to being a member of the prestigious Russell Group, Manchester is also included in the Sutton Trust's list of highly selective 'elite' UK institutions. In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, the University of Manchester came 3rd in terms of research power after Cambridge and Oxford and 6th for grade point average quality. Accordingly, Manchester enjoys the largest amount of research funding behind Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial (these five universities being informally referred to as the 'golden diamond' of research-intensive UK institutions). Manchester also has a particularly strong presence in terms of funding from the three main UK research councils, EPSRC, MRC and BBSRC, being ranked 5th, 7th and 1st respectively. In addition, the university is also one of the richest in the UK in terms of income and interest from endowments: at a recent rank it was placed at 3rd place behind Oxbridge.
Despite the recent severe cuts in higher education Manchester remains at second place behind Oxford nationally in terms of total recurrent grants allocated by the HEFCE. Manchester has the largest total income of all UK universities, standing at £637 million as of 2007
Manchester has 26 Nobel Laureates, the third largest number of any single university in the United Kingdom behind Oxford and Cambridge; in fact, excluding Oxbridge, Manchester has graduated more Nobel laureates than any other university in the UK. Purely in terms of Nobel prize winners Manchester is ranked 9th in Europe. Furthermore, according to an academic poll, two of the top ten discoveries by university academics and researchers were made at the University (namely the first working computer and the contraceptive pill). The university currently employs 4 Nobel Prize winners amongst its staff, more than any other in the UK.
The 2009 THE - QS World University Rankings found Manchester overall 26th in the world. It was also ranked by the same report 5th internationally by employer reviews (along with MIT and Stanford and ahead of Yale and Cornell) by receiving a maximum 100% rating which the university has retained since 2008. The separate 2010 QS World University Rankings found that Manchester had slipped to 30th overall in the world.
The Academic Ranking of World Universities 2008 published by the Institute of Higher Education of Shanghai Jiao Tong University ranked Manchester 5th in the UK, 6th in Europe and 40th in the world. After several years of steady progress Manchester fell back in 2009 to 41st in the world and 7th in Europe, Excluding US universities, Manchester is ranked 13th and 11th in the world for 2009 by THES and ARWU respectively. According to the ARWU rankings the university is ranked 9th in Europe for natural sciences and 4th in engineering. Similarly the HEEACT 2009 rankings for scientific performance place Manchester 5th in Europe for engineering, 8th for natural sciences and 3rd for social sciences. And finally THES ranks Manchester 6th in Europe for technology, 10th for life sciences and 7th for social sciences. According to a further ranking by SCImago Research Group Manchester is ranked 8th in Europe amongst higher education institutions in terms of sheer research output. In terms of research impact a further ranking places Manchester 6th in Europe. Manchester is also one of only seven universities in Europe which are rated Excellent in all seven main academic departments (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Economics and Political Science) by the 2010 Centre for Higher Education's Development's Excellence Rankings. The Manchester Business School is currently ranked 29th worldwide (4th nationally) by the Financial Times. The latest THES rankings place Manchester 16th in Europe with respect to research volume, income and reputation and 7th in the UK.
According to the High Fliers Research Limited's survey, University of Manchester students are being targeted by more top recruiters for graduate vacancies than any other UK university students for three consecutive years (2007–2009). Furthermore the university has been ranked joint 20th in the world for 2009 according to the Professional Ranking of World Universities. Its main compilation criterion is the number of Chief Executive Officers (or number 1 executive equivalent) which are among the "500 leading worldwide companies" as measured by revenue who studied in each university. The ranking places the University only behind Oxford nationally. Manchester is ranked 5th among British universities according to a popularity ranking which is based on the degree of traffic that a university's website attracts. Also a further report places Manchester within the top 20 universities outside the US. Manchester was also given a prestigious award for Excellence and Innovation in the Arts by the Times Higher Education Awards 2010.
At a recent ranking undertaken by the Guardian, Manchester is placed 5th in the UK in international reputation behind the usual four: Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial. Furthermore, according to the latest QS World University Rankings, Manchester is ranked 4th in Europe strictly in terms of both academic and employer reputation.

I don't know what you are thinking but Manchester is a big big name internationally, Manchester's overall average UCAS points on unistats is higher than Southampton, I mean Manchester has done and is being doing so many breakthroughs in the field of Science and engineering, in fact chemical engineering was invented in Manchester, they are doing research in collabaration with the lights of MIT, California Berkley, Toronto Mcgill etc. I mean, Manchester is renowned internationally.
I'm not being biased, I was offered a place at both Southampton and Manchester and I clearly think Manchester is a better option for me, and I dont care about the local rankings, atleast my course EEE is ranked 2nd in UK by Guardian, 4th by QS, 3rd by ARWU, 8th by Complete university guide, EEE department has the best and largest Voltage lab in UK( Im specifically interested in power sector)and all what I have written above, makes me choose Manchester over Southampton any given Day. Plus The university's library, the John Rylands University Library, is the largest non-legal deposit library in the UK, as well as being the UK's third-largest academic library after those of Oxford and Cambridge, it also has the largest collection of electronic resources of any library in the UK.

By the way, I have no plan to stay in UK after my graduation, I'll probably join up my relative in Toronto who is doing a job there, and I can clearly state that he consulted alot of people there, and everybody said head for Manchester, everybody thinks its a big big university, and Southampton is not a big name. Just because some some stupid league tables say that Manchester is 30th in UK is not going to make it 30th in UK, all over the world Manchester is considered top 6-7 in UK.

Again you have quoted me out of the context in so many things, widespread Alumni is very beneficial , as you often see alumni in higher posts in multi-national companies, which increases the university's employment rate and prestige and so many other things.
At end you are comparing York with Manchester, I dont know who told you York is more prestigious.
In UK, Southampton has excellent prospects in engineering, and is on par with the lights of Manchester, Bristol etc, but internationally it is not.

Source : Wikipedia

I hope this helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by xuntu

I hope this helps.

That has to be the longest post I've read on TSR so far, you aren't half clued up on your statistics!

Happy to say I'll be starting at UoM in Sept now :smile:
Original post by xuntu

I hope this helps.

wow!! that was really helpful, its making my mind more firm for Manchester. :smile::smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
One thing. Unless you mind the departments being split up all over the city (which means it is grey and boring in my eyes but hey) then I am sure Manchester will be a decent choice.

Original post by xuntu

Based on what do you say that Bath doesnt have a strong international reputation? Give me some straight facts, and nothing thats pulled out of the "TSR Theory Pool".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by ahpadt
One thing. Unless you mind the departments being split up all over the city (which means it is grey and boring in my eyes but hey) then I am sure Manchester will be a decent choice.

Based on what do you say that Bath doesnt have a strong international reputation? Give me some straight facts, and nothing thats pulled out of the "TSR Theory Pool".

Well I was talking in another context, Bath is an excellent university with a very strong mechanical engineering department, but as compared to Bristol/Manchester/UCL/Warwick etc, Bath does not have the same international reputation. This can be seen in the International tables of QS, ARWU, and THE, we often dont see Bath in top 150 universities. Universities like Bristol, Manchester are much more internationally renowned due to their research power, Rich History, Nobel Prizes, inventions, discoveries, widespread alumni and job prospects. Larger universities tend to have strong international reputation.

But that does not mean Bath is at a dis-advantage or anything like that. Dont worry yourself, Bath is an excellent university and has a solid reputation especially in UK.

I hope this helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Leo*
That has to be the longest post I've read on TSR so far, you aren't half clued up on your statistics!

He isn't, he's merely copied and pasted the "Research and Reputation" section of the University of Manchester page on Wikipedia without giving credit or using quotation marks, as can be seen here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_manchester
Original post by xuntu

University of Manchester has a very high quality research profile and is counted among the leading universities in the world. In addition to being a member of the prestigious Russell Group, Manchester is also included in the Sutton Trust's list of highly selective 'elite' UK institutions. In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, the University of Manchester came 3rd in terms of research power after Cambridge and Oxford and 6th for grade point average quality. Accordingly, Manchester enjoys the largest amount of research funding behind Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial (these five universities being informally referred to as the 'golden diamond' of research-intensive UK institutions). Manchester also has a particularly strong presence in terms of funding from the three main UK research councils, EPSRC, MRC and BBSRC, being ranked 5th, 7th and 1st respectively. In addition, the university is also one of the richest in the UK in terms of income and interest from endowments: at a recent rank it was placed at 3rd place behind Oxbridge.
Despite the recent severe cuts in higher education Manchester remains at second place behind Oxford nationally in terms of total recurrent grants allocated by the HEFCE. Manchester has the largest total income of all UK universities, standing at £637 million as of 2007
Manchester has 26 Nobel Laureates, the third largest number of any single university in the United Kingdom behind Oxford and Cambridge; in fact, excluding Oxbridge, Manchester has graduated more Nobel laureates than any other university in the UK. Purely in terms of Nobel prize winners Manchester is ranked 9th in Europe. Furthermore, according to an academic poll, two of the top ten discoveries by university academics and researchers were made at the University (namely the first working computer and the contraceptive pill). The university currently employs 4 Nobel Prize winners amongst its staff, more than any other in the UK.
The 2009 THE - QS World University Rankings found Manchester overall 26th in the world. It was also ranked by the same report 5th internationally by employer reviews (along with MIT and Stanford and ahead of Yale and Cornell) by receiving a maximum 100% rating which the university has retained since 2008. The separate 2010 QS World University Rankings found that Manchester had slipped to 30th overall in the world.
The Academic Ranking of World Universities 2008 published by the Institute of Higher Education of Shanghai Jiao Tong University ranked Manchester 5th in the UK, 6th in Europe and 40th in the world. After several years of steady progress Manchester fell back in 2009 to 41st in the world and 7th in Europe, Excluding US universities, Manchester is ranked 13th and 11th in the world for 2009 by THES and ARWU respectively. According to the ARWU rankings the university is ranked 9th in Europe for natural sciences and 4th in engineering. Similarly the HEEACT 2009 rankings for scientific performance place Manchester 5th in Europe for engineering, 8th for natural sciences and 3rd for social sciences. And finally THES ranks Manchester 6th in Europe for technology, 10th for life sciences and 7th for social sciences. According to a further ranking by SCImago Research Group Manchester is ranked 8th in Europe amongst higher education institutions in terms of sheer research output. In terms of research impact a further ranking places Manchester 6th in Europe. Manchester is also one of only seven universities in Europe which are rated Excellent in all seven main academic departments (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Economics and Political Science) by the 2010 Centre for Higher Education's Development's Excellence Rankings. The Manchester Business School is currently ranked 29th worldwide (4th nationally) by the Financial Times. The latest THES rankings place Manchester 16th in Europe with respect to research volume, income and reputation and 7th in the UK.
According to the High Fliers Research Limited's survey, University of Manchester students are being targeted by more top recruiters for graduate vacancies than any other UK university students for three consecutive years (2007–2009). Furthermore the university has been ranked joint 20th in the world for 2009 according to the Professional Ranking of World Universities. Its main compilation criterion is the number of Chief Executive Officers (or number 1 executive equivalent) which are among the "500 leading worldwide companies" as measured by revenue who studied in each university. The ranking places the University only behind Oxford nationally. Manchester is ranked 5th among British universities according to a popularity ranking which is based on the degree of traffic that a university's website attracts. Also a further report places Manchester within the top 20 universities outside the US. Manchester was also given a prestigious award for Excellence and Innovation in the Arts by the Times Higher Education Awards 2010.
At a recent ranking undertaken by the Guardian, Manchester is placed 5th in the UK in international reputation behind the usual four: Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial. Furthermore, according to the latest QS World University Rankings, Manchester is ranked 4th in Europe strictly in terms of both academic and employer reputation.

You have copied and pasted this entire passage from the "Research and Reputation" section of the University of Manchester Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_manchester, and you have done so without referencing it or even using quotation marks. I can only assume you hoped to pass this off as your own. Reagrdless I'm not going to waste anymore of my time debating with somebody who still employs a technique used by 12 year olds to cheat in their homework.
Reply 79
Original post by xuntu

University of Manchester has a very high quality research profile and is counted among the leading universities in the world.....

You have copied and pasted this entire passage from the "Research and Reputation" section of the University of Manchester Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_manchester, and you have done so without referencing it or even using quotation marks. I can only assume you hoped to pass this off as your own. Reagrdless I'm not going to waste anymore of my time debating with somebody who still employs a technique used by 12 year olds to cheat in their homework.

Lol, Busted. :rolleyes:

Original post by xuntu
In addition to being a member of the prestigious Russell Group, Manchester is also included in the Sutton Trust's list of highly selective 'elite' UK institutions.

Manchester is not one of the Sutton Trust's 13 'elite' UK universities. "The Sutton trust's 'elite' universities consist of: The University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, University of Cambridge, Durham University, University of Edinburgh, Imperial College, London School of Economics, University of Nottingham, University of Oxford, University of St Andrews, University College London, University of Warwick and University of York."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Trust#The_.22Sutton_13.22

Quick Reply

Latest