Deaf in one ear :( Watch

DopedGuru
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I dont know if anyone can help me here because ive tried doing research but this feels somewhat self-inflicted .

I had a blocked ear because of ear wax cleaned it out with a q-tip and when i pulled the Q-tip out my ear felt like it was sucking in on its self like its glued together or perhaps colasped in on its self. it has been 3 days now over the weekend starting from friday of which i have been deaf in that ear, there isnt any pain unless i try to enter the ear with a finger .. but it feels like its blocked with water or something, i am not completely deaf i cans till hear .. but its horrifically bad i cant bare to be out socially .. im getting myself to the doctors as soon as possible starting next week because its causing me alot of stress and depression been having nightmares and cant really sleep properly .. every morning i wake up deaf and its pretty scary stuff. i hear like a constant buzzing in my ear .. if anyone can advice me on what to do or maybe suggest whats going on i would greatly appreciate it

as i said before it feels blocked with liquid like it has collapsed and there is alot of pressure and it only hurts if i try inserting my finger down there .. its defiantly not wax .. i just want it back to normal.
Coeusful
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Doctor's advice > TSR's jokes and sarcasm.

Sad truth, buddy.
DopedGuru
Rep:
?
(Original post by Coeusful)
Doctor's advice > TSR's jokes and sarcasm.

Sad truth, buddy.
lol yeah probably not the wisest place to seek helpful advice .. ..
MDA
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DopedGuru)
lol yeah probably not the wisest place to seek helpful advice .. ..

you're right, most people are idiots here.
mantealgorth
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You have to get the wax out by a doctor. my dad was almost deaf and his doctor found a candle inside his ear, yucc
Aisha~~
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It probably is wax. There can be a huge build-up behind the drum itself. I had a lot of problems with it, particularly when I went on holiday, doing a lot of swimming. Somehow that aggravated the problem and I was deaf in one ear for weeks.

Protip: If you've got the appointment, they will probably wash out your ears with this jet wash syringe thing. Each night before that, put a few drops of olive oil in one ear. Drops in left ear first night, right ear second, etc. This helps loosen the wax so they can syringe straight away. It may even clear itself once its loose.
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aisha~~)
It probably is wax. There can be a huge build-up behind the drum itself. I had a lot of problems with it, particularly when I went on holiday, doing a lot of swimming. Somehow that aggravated the problem and I was deaf in one ear for weeks.

Protip: If you've got the appointment, they will probably wash out your ears with this jet wash syringe thing. Each night before that, put a few drops of olive oil in one ear. Drops in left ear first night, right ear second, etc. This helps loosen the wax so they can syringe straight away. It may even clear itself once its loose.
This.

I've heard different opinions on whether to use olive oil or ear drops (Otex etc.) but any lubricant should do the trick. Put cotton wool earplugs in to stop the stuff running out, and if you're using olive oil, one nurse said to dunk half of it in the cotton wool first. That way, it'll coat your ear and then be drawn back up into the clean cotton wool.
TheEssence
Report 8 years ago
exactly what happened to me, and when the doctor got the wax removed the clogged feeling went but i still have the ringing sound, but i've learnt to live with it and doesn't bother me until i pay attention to it. I think the medical term for it is tinnitus
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go to the pharmacy for some ear drops And book an appointment to get your ear syringed. I had to have it done last year because I went completely deaf after sticking a cotton bud in my ear ha. You'll feel fine once it's been syringed!
BritGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dont know if anyone can help me here because ive tried doing research but this feels somewhat self-inflicted .

I had a blocked ear because of ear wax cleaned it out with a q-tip and when i pulled the Q-tip out my ear felt like it was sucking in on its self like its glued together or perhaps colasped in on its self. it has been 3 days now over the weekend starting from friday of which i have been deaf in that ear, there isnt any pain unless i try to enter the ear with a finger .. but it feels like its blocked with water or something, i am not completely deaf i cans till hear .. but its horrifically bad i cant bare to be out socially .. im getting myself to the doctors as soon as possible starting next week because its causing me alot of stress and depression been having nightmares and cant really sleep properly .. every morning i wake up deaf and its pretty scary stuff. i hear like a constant buzzing in my ear .. if anyone can advice me on what to do or maybe suggest whats going on i would greatly appreciate it

as i said before it feels blocked with liquid like it has collapsed and there is alot of pressure and it only hurts if i try inserting my finger down there .. its defiantly not wax .. i just want it back to normal.
I've had the exact same problem as you before so hopefully I can help. It could be ear wax because if you have a lot of it and it has moved that can hurt sometimes and the pain will go eventually until it moves again. You can have your ear syringed to get rid of most of the wax but it may build up again in the future. If it is not wax it could be the beginning of an ear infection, and the liquid that is produced doesn't always come out (for whatever reason), and your ear always feels "full of liquid" which makes you deaf. Obviously with an ear infection there is pain and they usually clear up within a week or two if you take the antibiotics/ drops.
DopedGuru
Rep:
?
thanks alot for the advice its been really stressing me out .. i get paranoid that this is permanent, but ive got ear drops .. i for some reason have managed to convince myself that there is something major wrong .. i dont know how explain the pain i feel when i try to put my finger in my ear .. i am never using q-tips again!!!! .. thanks all apprecoated it makes me feel a hell of alot better
Edzor92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Happened to me mate. It is probably a wax build up that the ear bud you put in has pushed onto the ear and blocked it so you can't hear anything. I got some over the counter ear wax remover liquid from Boots (if this doesn't work, book an ear syringing at a local clinic or something) and it went away slowly in about a week. Since then I don't use ear buds to clean my ears!
Tortious
Report 8 years ago
thanks alot for the advice its been really stressing me out .. i get paranoid that this is permanent, but ive got ear drops .. i for some reason have managed to convince myself that there is something major wrong .. i dont know how explain the pain i feel when i try to put my finger in my ear .. i am never using q-tips again!!!! .. thanks all apprecoated it makes me feel a hell of alot better
It's fine - just be prepared for the "sharpness" of the sound. My ears must've been blocked for a few months (didn't have time to sort it pre-exams) and when I heard someone with a lisp the other day it sent shivers down my spine! :p:
NightKings
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

hello. i have the same problem. my left ear is deaf.

have your GP refer you to do a MRI scan?

I had my scan done 2 weeks ago and still wating for my GP's result
DopedGuru
Rep:
?
(Original post by NightKings)
hello. i have the same problem. my left ear is deaf.

have your GP refer you to do a MRI scan?

I had my scan done 2 weeks ago and still wating for my GP's result
aww thats good .. well i dont really have the time for this since i go holiday in like 11 days
Vikki1805
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It sounds to me like a perforated ear drum, I had that many years ago.
When you move your head does it sometimes sound as if there's water lodged as well? Sort of sloshy, and sickly.
It will also feel 'closed in' and may make you feel dizzy and cause you a head ache.
I found it very hard to sleep when that happened to me, and I didn't feel like going out either.

If that is what it is, you'll be given some antibiotics it will clear up with in a couple of weeks, you won't be able to go swimming for a while, and you'll have to be careful when having a bath/washing your hair.

Go to the doctors, and good luck!
Wick3d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't use cotton buds, they tend to push the wax back into the ear.

My sister had the same problem a few years back and she had it fully cleaned out with the jet wash syringe thingy. Olive oil does help though.
lubus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hm, i remember a doctor using some sort of suction device to clean the wax out of my ear.
Nicalexx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's microsuction, I refuse to get syringed so I go to do that, it's like a vacuum to get ear wax out. Waiting for my next appt, as I'm totally deaf in my left ear. This is so annoying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads