EU students:how did u get certified copies of ur documents for student finance?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
kelpic
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm an international student from a EU country and I don't know how to get a certified copy because my country has a civil law system and we only have legalized copies here. Those are done by a public notary but the certified copies have to be done by policeman/doctor/lawyer/teacher. So, international students, pls tell me what did u did about this when you applied for student finance?
MJay91
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
I couldn't be arsed to go over all the bureaucracy involving the certification. Just send them your original passport and you'll be fine.
Peregrinum
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kelpic)
I'm an international student from a EU country and I don't know how to get a certified copy because my country has a civil law system and we only have legalized copies here. Those are done by a public notary but the certified copies have to be done by policeman/doctor/lawyer/teacher. So, international students, pls tell me what did u did about this when you applied for student finance?
You don't have to have it done by a police officer, lawyer, etc., those are just examples given. It simply need to be certified as being a true copy and it has to be done by an official with the power to make such a certification. A notary is more than qualified to do that. I've had all my documents notarized as well and the Student Finance (or any other institution for that matter) has never had any problems with it.
kelpic
Rep:
(Original post by Peregrinum)
You don't have to have it done by a police officer, lawyer, etc., those are just examples given. It simply need to be certified as being a true copy and it has to be done by an official with the power to make such a certification. A notary is more than qualified to do that. I've had all my documents notarized as well and the Student Finance (or any other institution for that matter) has never had any problems with it.
What country are you from? I'm asking because as far as I know when a notary notarizes something he only puts a stamp and a signature. Student finance also requires the person to put his name, profession and address. Will a notary write those as well if you ask them? Did he do tht for you?
Peregrinum
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
What country are you from? I'm asking because as far as I know when a notary notarizes something he only puts a stamp and a signature. Student finance also requires the person to put his name, profession and address. Will a notary write those as well if you ask them? Did he do tht for you?
I'm from Estonia. Different countries may have different regulations (or even notaries in the same country may have different regulations), but I didn't have any problems. I just took the application's guidance section with me to the notary, told her what kind of information had to be included on the copy, and she put it all on it, from the name and profession to the address and telephone number. I paid €4, got my certified copy and that was that.
kelpic
Rep:
I'm from Estonia. Different countries may have different regulations (or even notaries in the same country may have different regulations), but I didn't have any problems. I just took the application's guidance section with me to the notary, told her what kind of information had to be included on the copy, and she put it all on it, from the name and profession to the address and telephone number. I paid €4, got my certified copy and that was that.
Did the notary also write something along the lines of 'I certify that this is a true copy' or did he just sign, stamp and write his persoanl details? Sorry for bombarding you with questions about this.
Peregrinum
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Did the notary also write something along the lines of 'I certify that this is a true copy' or did he just sign, stamp and write his persoanl details? Sorry for bombarding you with questions about this.
It's okay. Yeah, she did write something like that, she wrote about 10 lines of text. It was like "I, her name, notary of (some office), [office's address and telephone number], certify that this photocopy [a bunch of my personal data like name, number of the document being certified and date of its issue, etc.] is a true copy and is produced in accordance with [a bunch of legal talk]. Basically, she worked all the data required by the SF into the text and then she dated, signed, and stamped the document. I think they have some sort of a template for those texts because everything I needed to get notarized had more or less the same text on it (aside from the specific data, such as what document is being notarized).
kelpic
Rep:
It's okay. Yeah, she did write something like that, she wrote about 10 lines of text. It was like "I, her name, notary of (some office), [office's address and telephone number], certify that this photocopy [a bunch of my personal data like name, number of the document being certified and date of its issue, etc.] is a true copy and is produced in accordance with [a bunch of legal talk]. Basically, she worked all the data required by the SF into the text and then she dated, signed, and stamped the document. I think they have some sort of a template for those texts because everything I needed to get notarized had more or less the same text on it (aside from the specific data, such as what document is being notarized).
Did it look different than other documents that you notarized in the past?
Oh and did she write that in English?
LysFromParis
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
In France it's easy, you go to the city hall, the secretary go do a photocopy, stamp it, write something like "For British Authorities" and sign it (and it's free). We don't have to go through complicated process and no university have ever complained.
Peregrinum
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Did it look different than other documents that you notarized in the past?
Oh and did she write that in English?
She did write it in English. It didn't look much different from other things I've had notarized. Sure, you can't put the exact same text on both a photocopy of an exam certificate and a photocopy of a passport, but the format and the main elements of the "I certify that this is a true copy" text are the same.
kelpic
Rep:
(Original post by LysFromParis)
In France it's easy, you go to the city hall, the secretary go do a photocopy, stamp it, write something like "For British Authorities" and sign it (and it's free). We don't have to go through complicated process and no university have ever complained.
Did you use it for student finance?
LysFromParis
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Did you use it for student finance?
I have not been asked specific document, only to fill a form. However, if asked as I am a HSBC client I would probably open an account in UK and transfer money there, it would make things more easier, I think.

I am 25 so I have my own finance, however if you depends on your parents it may be a bit more complicated.
Italian Student
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MJay91)
I couldn't be arsed to go over all the bureaucracy involving the certification. Just send them your original passport and you'll be fine.
Hi, I'm about to send my request for the loan. I would like to know if they ever gave your original document back. I'm worried that they won't send it back. Thanks a lot
Italian Student
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MJay91)
Hi, I'm about to send my request for the loan. I would like to know if the ever gave your original document back. I'm worried that they won't send my one back. Thanks a lot
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Italian Student)
Hi, I'm about to send my request for the loan. I would like to know if they ever gave your original document back. I'm worried that they won't send it back. Thanks a lot
(Original post by Italian Student)
Hi, I'm about to send my request for the loan. I would like to know if the ever gave your original document back. I'm worried that they won't send my one back. Thanks a lot
Yes they will return any documentation.

But you are replying to a 2011 thread, which I'm now closing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7%
October 2021 (191)
46.14%
November 2021 (42)
10.14%
December 2021 (54)
13.04%
January 2021 (45)
10.87%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.42%