The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've registered for the BMAT, but I haven't put it in my UCAS form and it's already been sent. Is that ok or should it have been on there?

And when I registered for the BMAT, I wasn't sure of my choices. I've changed my mind now on my uni choices, so should I tell my examination officer or will it not make a difference?
Reply 381
Original post by jokosor
This could only be me so people please don't hate.

Your choice of words is sometimes out of place i.e. "ignorance", a powerful word in a weak phrase.

Your language tends to be flowery i.e. "The blissful ignorance of society is disturbed". Like someone said we are SCIENTISTS so get straight to the point.

The overall argument feels weak as you gave no strong comparisons or examples. You could have developed more the Einstein arguement.

The content is mixed i.e. there is no clear argument in the paragraphs. Your 2nd paragraph initially sounds like you are still supporting the statement but then you start talking about Einstein and going against the statement. This should be done in separate paragraphs.

You need to improve your syntax

Again no hard feelings, I just want to help

thanks, all criticism is much appreciated :smile:
Does the BMAT only require knowledge of human biology? Or biology as a whole?
Reply 383
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
Does the BMAT only require knowledge of human biology? Or biology as a whole?

read the curriculum. everything except plant as organisms
Reply 384
is anyone willing to help me out with section 3? so far all the questions ive seen, i dont understand them. what are you using to prepare for it?
Original post by brionyak
read the curriculum. everything except plant as organisms

i would be very grateful if someone could link me to the curriculum plzzzzz
Reply 386
Is it me...or is every1 working realllly hard for the BMAT? Little worried, as I've only covered basic biology and chemistry... waiting for the 400qs book to arrive.

Section 1 qs in 'that purple book' seem fairly simple... or is that just me?!? :s-smilie: aargh, worried, confused, maths and physics are my weak points. How section 3 will go - is anyone's guess!
Reply 387
i would be very grateful if someone could link me to the curriculum plzzz

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-4/science/index.aspx

you need to pay me for this
Reply 388
Does anybody have the BMAT 2008 Paper which includes all the sections and the mark schemes? If so could you please email me them or upload the files on here.

Many Thanks
Reply 391
Original post by EternalDoom
q. 27

Let x = cost of dinner in tokens
He has 20 tokens at the start
Spends X every day on food, and gets 7 tokens back at the end
He gets lunch on monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday and monday of the next week i.e. 6 days

note; below the 6X is total number of tokens he has spent over the 6days in total, and the 7x6 is the number of tokens he has got at the end of the day from his company in total. the < X means that on tuesday of the next week he can't buy lunch, so the price of lunch must be greater than his no. of tokens on that day.

20 - 6X + (7x6) < X
62 - 6X < X
62 < 7X
so basically x > 62/7
so lets just say x = or > than 9

I think you just use 9 because the difference between 7 (daily gain) and 9 (daily loss) is a net loss of 2 tokens. So after 6 days : 20 - (6x2) = 8 tokens left (so he can't buy a lunch on tuesday) you will see that for any value of X > 9 doesn't leave him enough tokens to buy lunch on the monday, i.e. for x = 10 then the net change daily is (7-10) = -3. 20 - (6x3) = 2, so he wouldn't have been able to buy lunch on 2nd monday, or even friday ( I think)

First monday: 20 - 9 + 7 = 18
First tuesday: 18 - 9 +7 = 16
wednesday: 16 - 9 + 7 = 14
thursday = 14 - 9 + 7 = 12
friday = 12 - 9 + 7 = 10
Second monday = 10 - 9 + 7 = 8
and thus on the second tuesday he can't buy food so
8 + 7 = 15
second wednesday: 15 - 9 + 7 = 13
second thursday = 13 - 9 + 7 = 11
second friday = 11 - 9 + 7 = 9
third monday = 9 - 9 +7 = 7
so on the next TUESDAY after he can't get another free lunch.

Enjoy deciphering that mate, big loada rubbish
Reply 392
Criticism needed. Thanks

People injured whilst participating in extreme sports should not be treated by a publicly
funded health service.
Explain the reasoning behind this statement. Suggest an argument against this statement. To
what extent, if any, does the statement justify a change in public attitudes to personal risk
taking?

Individuals who have decided to participate in extreme sports are in most cases aware of the dangers involved. An injury obtained during the sport should not be treated at the public’s expense. It is a personal risk and should therefore be a personal financial burden. This is the reasoning behind the statement.

However, in order to receive medical treatment under a publicly funded health service an individual must be a tax payer or in some way a part of the funding group. With this understanding, it is possible to establish that the individual is in fact paying for the health service.

This statement also looks at health care as a privilege and not a right. Health care should be a right because without it then the right to live is meaningless when one is sick or injured. It can be argued that those who have rights also have responsibilities of which included is understanding risks and dealing with problems. We share these responsibilities the same way we share the rights. Therefore if one is injured in extreme sports, the public shares the responsibility to ensure that one receives medical attention.

In addition, the personal risk taken affects the public both positively and negatively. The public should not base an attitude change solely upon the negative aspects of it as this statement suggests. The benefits should also be considered both to the person and the public. For example extreme sports benefit the industry that manufactures the sports gear, provides leisure entertainment through sporting events, attracts tourists and creates market for local products through this tourism.

In conclusion, it is to a small extent that this statement would justify a change in public attitudes towards personal risk taking.
For people who have the 400q book can you help me with Q1.23? I did the workings right but somehow the 19 turned into a 7? Am I missing something?
Reply 394
Original post by MuffinMonster

For people who have the 400q book can you help me with Q1.23? I did the workings right but somehow the 19 turned into a 7? Am I missing something?

There's actually quite a few typos in that book, the answers are supposed to say 19, the seven just shouldn't be there lol. If you see the number of hours they've given it only makes sense for there to be the 19.
Original post by oHellno

Original post by oHellno
There's actually quite a few typos in that book, the answers are supposed to say 19, the seven just shouldn't be there lol. If you see the number of hours they've given it only makes sense for there to be the 19.

Ahhh yeah I thought so, but I'm feeling really slow so I needed some confirmation!
Reply 396

Ahhh yeah I thought so, but I'm feeling really slow so I needed some confirmation!

Haha don't worry, I'm sure section 1 makes everyone feel like that :tongue:
Original post by brionyak

[QUOTE="brionyak;34400959"]
i would be very grateful if someone could link me to the curriculum plzzz

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-4/science/index.aspx

you need to pay me for this

Already looked that up; there's no curriculum on there. It's all just generic learning objectives
Original post by HildaBaby

Original post by HildaBaby
Criticism needed. Thanks

People injured whilst participating in extreme sports should not be treated by a publicly
funded health service.
Explain the reasoning behind this statement. Suggest an argument against this statement. To
what extent, if any, does the statement justify a change in public attitudes to personal risk
taking?

Individuals who have decided to participate in extreme sports are in most cases aware of the dangers involved. An injury obtained during the sport should not be treated at the public’s expense. It is a personal risk and should therefore be a personal financial burden. This is the reasoning behind the statement.

However, in order to receive medical treatment under a publicly funded health service an individual must be a tax payer or in some way a part of the funding group. With this understanding, it is possible to establish that the individual is in fact paying for the health service.

This statement also looks at health care as a privilege and not a right. Health care should be a right because without it then the right to live is meaningless when one is sick or injured. It can be argued that those who have rights also have responsibilities of which included is understanding risks and dealing with problems. We share these responsibilities the same way we share the rights. Therefore if one is injured in extreme sports, the public shares the responsibility to ensure that one receives medical attention.

In addition, the personal risk taken affects the public both positively and negatively. The public should not base an attitude change solely upon the negative aspects of it as this statement suggests. The benefits should also be considered both to the person and the public. For example extreme sports benefit the industry that manufactures the sports gear, provides leisure entertainment through sporting events, attracts tourists and creates market for local products through this tourism.

In conclusion, it is to a small extent that this statement would justify a change in public attitudes towards personal risk taking.

NHS buzzword to use is equality in healthcare.
Otherwise, sound reasoning there. Personally I don't think it's a great question but you've made a good job of it
http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/123902_BMAT_Section_1_2010.pdf
Can anyone help me with Q12 Section 1 2010
Surely answer A and C are exactly the same with just the colours switched??
What is the question even asking?:confused::confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending