The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Given that it was edited by examiners I would say that quite a lot
Original post by Beska

If you're not doing Biology at AS/A2 - worry. Worry alot. Both Imperial and UCL require Biology to AS if not beyond, and I assume Cambridge and Oxford wouldn't be too keen on applicants with no Biology at AS/A2.

When you say worry, do you mean with regards to the application as a whole, or with the BMAT in particular?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by confused dot com
When you say worry, do you mean with regards to the application as a whole, or with the BMAT in particular?

The BMAT specifically. :smile:
Original post by Beska
The BMAT specifically. :smile:

Crap, is the biology content really that advanced?
Reply 44
Original post by confused dot com
Crap, is the biology content really that advanced?

Well, to be honest, it refers to both the BMAT and applying to medical school. I wasn't the original author of the OP, but as you can see it says "Both Imperial and UCL require Biology to AS if not beyond, and I assume Cambridge and Oxford wouldn't be too keen on applicants with no Biology at AS/A2." - so it's implying that it's not a good idea to apply to BMAT medical schools without biology.
Original post by Beska
Well, to be honest, it refers to both the BMAT and applying to medical school. I wasn't the original author of the OP, but as you can see it says "Both Imperial and UCL require Biology to AS if not beyond, and I assume Cambridge and Oxford wouldn't be too keen on applicants with no Biology at AS/A2." - so it's implying that it's not a good idea to apply to BMAT medical schools without biology.

I will have biology AS, I'm just doing it in my A2 year. That shouldn't be a problem should it?
Reply 46
Thanks for this thread guys, let the preparation begin :biggrin:
Reply 47
I think UKCAT is harder than BMAT cause of the time restraints, BMAT you always have at least a minute and a bit to answer each question.
Original post by Ganky
I think UKCAT is harder than BMAT cause of the time restraints, BMAT you always have at least a minute and a bit to answer each question.

I would agree if it weren't for the fact that the BMAT is a written paper with non-multiple choice questions included. Also, the problem solving aspects seem like they would be more complex than the equivalent ones on the UKCAT. The timings on the UKCAT are a bitch though :\
just started studyin for the bmat,(if u cn really call it study) but dnt really knw where to start..help!:frown:
Reply 50
Original post by mich32elle
just started studyin for the bmat,(if u cn really call it study) but dnt really knw where to start..help!:frown:

There are quite a few BMAT revision books on the market you could take a look at. Try a search on Amazon or a bookshop's website. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Beska
:smile:

Hi I didn't do Physics AS and I only did Double Science at GCSE so i'm really very worried about what I should be doing to ensure it doesn't disadvantage me on the BMAT. So please help thank you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Hi everyone, can I just ask, is:

AQA Biology - 277/300 - A
OCR(salters) Chemistry - 273/300 - A
AQA Physics - 250/300 - A
OCR Maths - 249/300 - A
at AS
Plus 7A*s and 3As at GCSE

good enough for Cambridge and Imperial? Would it be a risk to apply to both? and what sort of BMAT score should i aim for/would be sufficient with this academic profile?

Reply 53
Original post by Beska

Although it isn't impossible.. like for example someone from my school got into cambridge(2011 entry), from doing IB and they did chemistry and physics. Having said that, he completely demolished the BMAT, and i imagine he will have worked very hard to make sure his knowledge of human biology is up to scratch despite not studying it in 6th form.
Hey. Those , who need some revision, it is a very good site.
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class
Hi guys was wondering is anyone could tell me how you convert the BMAT score from points to grades, not sure if that makes sense but for example, on a Cambridge college website: "those successful in gaining an offer have [...] at least grades BB at BMAT sections 1 and 2" and no, this isn't just an archaic scoring system, since I also sat the BMAT last year and got 6.0 and 4.6 respectively but in my application feedback from an admissions tutor at Cambridge, she referred to those scores as 6,B and 4.6, C.... any clues??
Original post by leafyleafyleafy123
Hi guys was wondering is anyone could tell me how you convert the BMAT score from points to grades, not sure if that makes sense but for example, on a Cambridge college website: "those successful in gaining an offer have [...] at least grades BB at BMAT sections 1 and 2" and no, this isn't just an archaic scoring system, since I also sat the BMAT last year and got 6.0 and 4.6 respectively but in my application feedback from an admissions tutor at Cambridge, she referred to those scores as 6,B and 4.6, C.... any clues??

It may vary year by year. I think it's roughly OVER 5 for a B, and OVER 6 for an A.

Only Cambridge does this I think. I wouldn't really worry about it, just do your best!!

What website is that on by the way?
Original post by BreakFastMe
Hey. Those , who need some revision, it is a very good site.
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class

This looks great! Thanks!:smile:
I'm looking forward to the UKCAT less than the BMAT...
I have a few questions:

1) Why are they testing us on GCSE science.. again?
2) Which sections are the most important?
3) How long does it take on average to revise for the BMAT?

Thanks in advance!

Latest