This discussion is closed.
LinziSue
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I found this on http://www.toptenz.net/to-10-useless...es-degrees.php and found it quite amusing, these do not reflect my own views at all but I found it interesting to read!

10. David Beckham studies – Staffordshire University, UK
It might sound like a joke, but the squeaky-voiced soccer star actually has a degree course dedicated to him. The course, which is technically classed as “Football Culture”, has been defended by its founder, who argues that degree courses must keep with the times. Celeb-style degrees can also be found in the US, with Madonna studies injected into the Gender course at Harvard (no less) and Oprah Winfrey studies at Illinois.

9. Parapsychology – various colleges

This degree is perfect for starting a career with Ghostbusters. Oh wait, Ghostbusters are fictional – that’s four years wasted. Nevertheless, this course dedicated to the study of the paranormal (Slimer and haunted houses included) is popping up in universities and colleges worldwide. Coventry, Edinburgh, Northampton and Liverpool in the UK, plus Belford and Flamel in the US all offer the course, which makes you wonder if people are watching too many Most Haunted episodes.

8. Doctorate of Philosophy in Ufology – Melbourne University

In August this year, Aussie Martin Plowman became the first student to become a real Dr Who after passing his studies of unidentified flying objects. After his major in culture and communications, he decided he wanted to do something a bit different, so he chose little green men. However, despite his new status, he remains open-minded about things: “When I meet someone who says they’ve seen something strange, that’s fair enough, because maybe they have. I don’t know what it is, though,”

7. The Phallus – Occidental College

It’s difficult to get to grips with the exact nature of this course – if you’ll pardon the pun. It’s cited as studies “between the phallus and the penis, the meaning of the phallus, phallologocentrism, the lesbian phallus, the Jewish phallus, the Latino phallus, and the relation of the phallus and fetishism” but is actually a survey offered by this distinguished college’s department of critical theory and social justice.

6. Surfing Studies – Plymouth / Melbourne

Gone are the days of dumb surfer dudes riding the waves without a care. Now, surfing means business. With Plymouth Uni in the UK offering a BSc (Hons) in Surf Science and Technology and Southern Cross University in Australia offering Surf and Sport Management, is seems the seaside slackers want to be taken seriously. What next? Wrestling degrees?

5. Philosophy – various colleges

Philosophy, like sociology and psychology, is one of those degrees that people do when they’re not quite sure what vocation they want to follow . It’s a fun-time four years, open to stoners, egocentrics and those that love the sound of their own voice, who will finish the course even more confused at what they want to do in life and probably end up working at a convenience store.

4. Queer Musicology – UCLA

Due to seemingly popular demand, the UCLA have actually combined queer theory – the study of gender, feminism and gayness – with the science of music, to produce a very open-minded course within their Herb Alpert School of Music. The LA Times reported that the course will introduce debates like: “the idea that if you’re gay, then music by gay composers such as Benjamin Britten will sound different to you than it would if you were straight.”

3. Star Trek – Georgetown University in Washington

It’s a degree, Jim, but not as we know it. The Georgetown faculty of Philosophy argues that “Star Trek is very philosophical. What better way, then, to learn philosophy, than to watch Star Trek, read philosophy, and hash it all out in class?” The Trekkies have also landed at Indiana University, who curiously combine their Star Trek Studies with religion. If only there were more vacancies for professional dorks…

2. Golf Management – University of Birmingham / Florida Gulf Coast University

Here’s another useless sport degree spreading through Universities across the world, but this one lands the number two position because it’s not even fun. There’s nothing much duller than playing golf apart from studying golf, so why these two Universities have offered courses covering the psychology of golf; equipment technology; financial performance and coach education, is a mystery.

1. Art History – various colleges

What career would you ever get with a degree in art history? Maybe an art gallery curator, but how many of those does the world actually need? Most art history courses consist of a selection of well-to-do teenagers and arty-hippy types deliberating over the same Dali and Magritte paintings for four, even five years straight. It’s time to move on!

Honorable Mentions:
The Science of Harry Potter – Frostburg University
Maryland’s Frostburg University provides this honors seminar, which is really a physics class that investigates the supposed magic of Harry Potter. Seems like an excuse to watch the Harry Potter movies.

Learning from YouTube – Pitzer College
California’s Pitzer College has added a class named, Learning from YouTube. TechCrunch reports that “the class consists of students watching YouTube videos and then discussing them. They also leave comments on the videos themselves.”

by Katherine Watt

Do you think any of these courses don't deserve to be on the list? What would you put in its place? Or do you see that no degree as useless? remember this is a bit of fun, don't take it too seriously!
The_Male_Melons
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As well as those listed:

There is more, on top of my head:
Media Studies
Film and Production
Psychology
Music
Art
Fashion
Business Management and Leisure
Hospitality Management
Politics
Leisure and Tourism
Art and Design
Drama
Anything with "studies" like "Iranian Studies" (such a degree does exist :rolleyes: ) or Business Studies
Business Management
Childhood and Youth studies
Coaching
Community Health
Computer Games

I would go far and say perhaps, joint degrees might be mickey mouse like Accountancy and politics- mainly because it is not pure Accountancy. Although I would make clear, accountancy is a very respected degree. (I am not studying accountancy anyway). Just highlighting how respected degrees like accountancy, law, physics, biology etc... get watered down with "and another subject".

There are probably even more that will get mentioned...

Neg rep me all you want- you know it is true. You wasted a lot of money on something that was useless. I am not being snobby. I don't care which university a person goes to, just don't do mickey mouse degrees. Simples.
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Derby university do a degree in Accountancy and Dance
onlyskin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think Philosophy deserves to be there, it gave us the basis for logic and modern-day scientific thinking - who knows what the world would be like today if we didn't have these. I agree that it doesn't exactly lend itself to a career, but I look at university more as an opportunity to study something I'm interested in for the sake of education itself, not to help me earn big money.
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LinziSue)
5. Philosophy – various colleges

Philosophy, like sociology and psychology, is one of those degrees that people do when they’re not quite sure what vocation they want to follow . It’s a fun-time four years, open to stoners, egocentrics and those that love the sound of their own voice, who will finish the course even more confused at what they want to do in life and probably end up working at a convenience store.
Clearly the author knows **** all then.

4. Queer Musicology – UCLA

Due to seemingly popular demand, the UCLA have actually combined queer theory – the study of gender, feminism and gayness – with the science of music, to produce a very open-minded course within their Herb Alpert School of Music. The LA Times reported that the course will introduce debates like: “the idea that if you’re gay, then music by gay composers such as Benjamin Britten will sound different to you than it would if you were straight.”
Author doesn't even understand what queer theory is, ugh.

1. Art History – various colleges

What career would you ever get with a degree in art history? Maybe an art gallery curator, but how many of those does the world actually need? Most art history courses consist of a selection of well-to-do teenagers and arty-hippy types deliberating over the same Dali and Magritte paintings for four, even five years straight. It’s time to move on!
Again, just utter bull****.

Well, that article was a pile of crap, really.
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zedbrar)
haha brilliant!
beefmaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well most of them aren't even degrees.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
there was no Degree in 'David Beckham Studies' there wasn't even a module in so entitled ... consequently this entire thread is based on a fallacy ...

OP kindly go and boil your head .
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Queer musicology is great fun :awesome: Besides it's not a whole degree as far as I can tell: just a module :yes:
LinziSue
Rep:
?
(Original post by zedbrar)
That's pretty cool, a dancing accountant, who knew?
LinziSue
Rep:
?
(Original post by zippyRN)
there was no Degree in 'David Beckham Studies' there wasn't even a module in so entitled ... consequently this entire thread is based on a fallacy ...

OP kindly go and boil your head .
I'm aware it was a module as part of a course, it even says so in the thread. Like I also said, it doesn't reflect my own opinion. Don't take it too seriously.
Mendeleev's Table
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can become Queen with a degree in Art History!
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Damnit Jim! I want to study "Star Trek" at university :yes: :yes:
nerimon18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So anyone with a degree in PPE or PPS has a useless degree because Philosophy/ Sociology/Psycology is in them?
LinziSue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mendeleev's Table)
You can become Queen with a degree in Art History!
You'd have to pull Harry as well! lol!
Justeen910
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7343027.stm
A degree in bed selling.

I don't think philosophy should be there, and I might take an elective in Queer musicology because it sounds interestingly funny.
>Anna<
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The_Male_Melons)
On top of my head:
Media Studies
Film and Production
Psychology
Music
Art
Fashion
Business Management and Leisure

There is more...
How so? It relates directly to a career.

You can do a Masters in 'Robin Hood studies' at Nottingham.
adam_zed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Philosophy?! I dont understand how get this idea that philosophy is akin to getting stoned and pondering impossible solutions to world peace? I dont know anyone who, when baked, can keep a coherent trail of thought.

Psychology?! People still think that this is all about getting someone to lay down on a couch and determining that their fear of spiders is because they repress memories of their brother putting spiders up their ass when they were younger.

Before people make dumb lists like this, why dont they take 5 minutes to actually look at what these courses involve instead of thinking "hur hur, meedya studees iz just bout watchin filmz hur hur"
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
[2. Golf Management – University of Birmingham / Florida Gulf Coast University

Here’s another useless sport degree spreading through Universities across the world, but this one lands the number two position because it’s not even fun. There’s nothing much duller than playing golf apart from studying golf, so why these two Universities have offered courses covering the psychology of golf; equipment technology; financial performance and coach education, is a mystery.

Just goes to show what a load of bull**** that list is: golf course management is famous for being the course most likely to get you a relevent job offer before graduation.

More golf course management graduates get headhunted than any other degree you care to name.
Hanvyj
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't get why people hate on film production courses so much. I mean, its not simple stuff and is an active vocation. Understandably there are probably too many people doing it than get jobs at the end.

Also, you say Philosophy - I assume because it doesn't actively lead to a job or something, if you are including that you will also have to include almost all arts degrees. History, English, politics any of them really.

Art history - what about normal history? That's just as "useless". Seems you want people to only do vocational subjects.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.29%
Spring (36)
18.75%
Autumn/Fall (48)
25%
Winter (36)
18.75%
I love them all equally (10)
5.21%