The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Acknowledgement from Manchester...
Original post by dapto1
I want either MMU or Leeds Met, because I don't want to have to do another year degree. I finished a BSc in Anatomy a year and a half ago, then I was teaching TEFL in Ireland for a year and now in Korea. I haven't finished my PS yet, I wanted to be done at the weekend but haven't had a chance yet. Hopefully in the next few days, but I've been snowed under with work!

Sounds like you're well set, good luck with it!

Sounds like you'll get a place then,really strong experience. I know, Iv been manic too, handing in my PS was a load off- still not received any questionnaires though.... Its a waiting game. I completed my TEFL, did a bit of work in primary schools with it, originally planned to go to India and use it, but funds wouldn't allow. Bet Korea is amazing- jealous! I'm not too bothered about doing a 4 year course, more time to plan and do the dissertation!! I'm not looking forward to doing that again!
Original post by Rach_L
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at this thread every now and then whilst applying and have finally got around to joining. It is so reassuring to read about people in the same boat! I am applying to both the undergrad and postgrad courses. My first choice would be postgrad, but as it is so competitive I am basically trying to maximise my chances by going for undergrad too. Is anyone else doing this? Any ideas on what the unis will think about this? I can't decide if it makes it look like you really want to do the course or just looks like you are not that committed to the postgrad course...

I got onto the waiting list for the Greenwich course which starts in January, but didn't make it any further. I was feeling reasonably confident after that, but now I have seen how much experience some of the people on here have got I am nervous again!

Would be great to hear from anyone in the same position. Good luck to everyone with your applications X

Hi! What postgrad have you applied for? Im panicking as did really pants in my alevels, really did bad!! But tried hard in my BA degree and came out with a 2:1. What did you get???
Original post by tish*tash
yeaaah, it's lovely and big, but still feels kinda cosy (if that makes sense? haha) ohh right cool, well that's a really good degree to do before SLT aint it? you'll have a ton of background knowledge for some of the modules :smile: well as long as you're passionate about SLT, which you seem to be lol, then I don't think you should have a problem...well done with the 2:1, that's fab! :biggrin: I really can't make up my mind - newcastle and manchester are definitely my favourite uni's out of the one's i've applied to though. is manchester your favourite?

To be honest Leeds or Manchester would be nice, would prefer to get into Manchester rather than MMU, although its a longer course I think its got a better reputation.... to be truthful I'd be happy with any offer, just wana start the course as its what Iv wanted to do for a long time. Yeh, linguistics is really relevant, but didn't do very well at Alevels so that possibly would affect my application... :s-smilie: Time will tell!!
Original post by juliewho
My reference would have good marks then, it was so so lovely! The rest of my application is a bit meh :tongue: Don't be scared - i'm sure you'll get a place somewhere :smile:

Hey! How did you view your reference?
Original post by Spence_LJS
Hallo :smile:

I'm applying after an English Lang/Lit degree and I'm 23, so we're pretty similar! I don't think it'll be a negative thing at all... I know lots of people applying who are late twenties or thirties, so I think we'll still be fairly youngish! Also, the course seems to favour mature students and I've been told it can sometimes be quite handy on placements.

I've applied to Leeds and Manchester too... but only submitted my app yesterday, so got a long wait!

How long does it take to receive your welcome pack and log-ins for Track??

Also - I went to the Manchester open day but they did say that the room we had the talk in isn't one of their usual lecture rooms. I think they said the usual rooms are pretty old... Other than that though, it seemed like a v organised course.

edit - I asked the lecturer at Manchester if they had many people on the undergrad course who already had degrees, and she said 'yes - about two thirds'!

Yeh, I did a few Eng lang modules. Where did you study? I was in Bangor for 3 years. What degree did you come out with? Have you thought about postgrads? I didn't like the look of Sheffield and didn't want to go further than that really so pulled the plug on postgrads. Where would you like to go?

I received the application pack about a week after applying... no sign of questionnaires yet though.. not looking forward to them after just getting rid of my PS!!!!! Ha!

Yeh, doing think we'l get any offers til next year
Original post by dibdobmichaela
Yeh, I did a few Eng lang modules. Where did you study? I was in Bangor for 3 years. What degree did you come out with? Have you thought about postgrads? I didn't like the look of Sheffield and didn't want to go further than that really so pulled the plug on postgrads. Where would you like to go?

I received the application pack about a week after applying... no sign of questionnaires yet though.. not looking forward to them after just getting rid of my PS!!!!! Ha!

*** Yeh, DONT think we'l get any offers til next year
Original post by SalC
Ah that's great then. Yeah definately in halls, I hope the huge workload for SLT doesn't make us miss out on all the parties!

Defo have to make room for the parties!! Theres such a good night life in MCR, have you been out there at all?
Original post by juliewho
I suppose so, I think it's because in Wales you have to take a second language and presumably they have a lot of welsh applicants. Just more things to differentiate between people really :tongue: I don't mind really, it's ridiculously difficult to get to Cardiff from where I live.

I love all my choices! Maybe Reading not as much as the rest but only because it's really similar to where I live. I loved Newcastle and Sheffield, but I haven't been able to visit UEA or Manchester properly yet and they look amazing on paper too :smile: Is UWIC your first choice?

Yeah that's true... there's so many people who apply I suppose they ahve to have some sort of filter! Awh that's good! Oh where is it that you live? I've applied to Reading - the SLT clinic and general campus just amazed me! I think because I'm from a small town the idea of a big city is even more exciting :L yep I think it's my first choice, it's difficult though! There's pros and cons for them all I suppose! :smile:
Original post by Rhonaa
big congratulations! =D

Thankyouuu!! :biggrin:
Original post by naomiele
WELL DONEE :smile: You are the first here to get an offer! :smile: is UWIC your first choice xx

Thankyou! Yes I think it is so I'm so relieved :biggrin:

Well done! When did you submit your application? I submitted mine on Sunday and I kinda regret not applying to UWIC... oh well though!

So you can relax now :biggrin: congrats again.

Thanks! Um I can't remember the exact data but I have a feeling it was early October? Well if you regret it you can always change your decisions on track :smile: so i wouldn't worry yet! I know I feel like a big weight's been lifted :biggrin: let us know if you hear anything!
Reply 1031
Hi! What postgrad have you applied for? Im panicking as did really pants in my alevels, really did bad!! But tried hard in my BA degree and came out with a 2:1. What did you get???

Hiya, I hope I have replied properly to this so you can see it....I am new to this whole forum thing!!!

I have applied for postgrad courses at City, UCL, Sheffield, Reading, Essex - my preference would be to stay as near to London as possible...but I know I definitely can't afford to be fussy!

I wouldn't worry about your A Levels, I read somewhere that a good degree outweighs them anyway. What was your degree in? I got a 2.1 too in English at Nottingham.

Are you planning on applying to post and undergrad?

I studied at Sheffield and somehow got a first. I did think about postgrads briefly, but cramming it all into two years doesn't really appeal to me. I'd rather take an extra year to let it soak in and get as much experience as possible (volunteering outside the uni etc). My top two choices are UEA and Reading, but I've also applied for Manchester, MMU and Leeds Met.

A week? Ahhh that's ages! Haha. Got an acknowledgement from Manchester today so hopefully the questionnaire will arrive soonish.
Original post by hannahmurph

Thanks! Um I can't remember the exact data but I have a feeling it was early October? Well if you regret it you can always change your decisions on track :smile: so i wouldn't worry yet! I know I feel like a big weight's been lifted :biggrin: let us know if you hear anything!

Oh you can change it on Track? That's interesting, didn't know that! Will have a look into it. And will do! :smile:

x
Reply 1034
Original post by pimpom
I'm off on a 2 day workshop about eating drinking & swallowing difficulties for people with learning disabilities as part of my job training. I think I'm the only one so excited to be going on training!!

Enjoy! What do you do as a job?
Reply 1035
Defo have to make room for the parties!! Theres such a good night life in MCR, have you been out there at all?

I haven't, but I have a friend who lives in Stockport and she says it's fab! But I live in Newcastle and it's amazing up here, so I think I'll be spoilt wherever I end up haha :tongue:
Hey! How did you view your reference?

My teacher showed it to me before he sent it, so I could check everything was correct :smile:
Original post by hannahmurph
Yeah that's true... there's so many people who apply I suppose they ahve to have some sort of filter! Awh that's good! Oh where is it that you live? I've applied to Reading - the SLT clinic and general campus just amazed me! I think because I'm from a small town the idea of a big city is even more exciting :L yep I think it's my first choice, it's difficult though! There's pros and cons for them all I suppose! :smile:

I live in Doncaster, which is about the same size if you take into account the old market towns (which aren't towns at all, just suburbs where there once was a market :tongue: ) I've visited Reading before and it doesn't appeal to me in the way a real big city does, like Newcastle.
They're both competing for city status this year incidentally :tongue:
Loads of pros and cons - it's why i'm finding it so difficult to rank them in order. I've got plenty of time to decide I suppose :smile:
Hi guys!
I sent my UCAS off 3 weeks ago today and I have not heard anything off UEA.... should I be worried?
Oh you can change it on Track? That's interesting, didn't know that! Will have a look into it. And will do! :smile:

x

Only for 7 days after the processed date, so you'll have to act quickly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest