The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Spence_LJS
Nope, I think UEA is a really good uni. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the problem based learning. Instead of lectures they give you a task or scenario at the start of the week and you have to go out and find the information, then have a seminar at the end of the week. I've already done an English degree which was basically self-taught (you had 4 or 5 hours contact time a week), so I was kinda hoping for proper lectures! If you can find the Speech and Language 2011 thread on here, someone was explaining the UEA course layout etc.

Gotta watch out for the 3.5 year degrees - I think you have to to wait until the summer to graduate anyway, so you might as well just do the 4 yr? I think that's the case for Marjon, not sure about the others though.

Although I think you also have lectures, not just PBL, i think i'd benefit from PBL as I work well independently.

I also hadnt thought about the graduation thing, nor the fact that i'd still have to pay for accomodation for the rest of that year... Good point.

I'll have a look on the 2011 thread, thanks :smile:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Sure you can. :smile:

Just post it in the Medical, Health and Life/Biosciences Personal Statement Help forum, it's secure (no one but you and PS helpers can see it) and I'll give it a review.

Hi PhoenixFortune,

I cant seem to upload?!

Michaela
Original post by dibdobmichaela
Hi PhoenixFortune,

I cant seem to upload?!

Michaela

When you view the forum, you will not be able to see any threads, due to each PS being private to the author and other PS helpers. :smile:
Reply 143
Original post by balletomane
Pimpom, for some reason I completely missed your post! The Reading MSc is my preferred course too, although Sheffield also looks good - I think I'd be very happy there.

I live in Manchester too, and I am thinking about asking to volunteer at the Deaf Centre's group for deaf-blind people. How was your experience there? I don't have much time to spend in volunteering this year, so I want to choose my placement carefully. Right now it's between the Alzheimer's Society and the Deaf Centre.

I hope we can stay in touch as we go through this applications process. :smile:

That's exciting!! I really want to go to Reading as that's where my parents live, so would be much easier for me (and cheaper!!) Although, saying that, I'd be happy if I was offered a place anywhere.

I really enjoyed the Deaf Centre and everyone one is really friendly as it's quite a small organisation. I've not got much info. regarding the deaf-blind group as my role was mostly on reception, helping out at events and organising BSL classes. Your best bet is to pop in there and speak to them about it or e-mail the volunteer co-ordinator. Another good thing about it is you don't have to commit a lot of time and they are very flexible
However, the Alzheimers Society also sounds very interesting...
You'll have to let me know what you decide!

Really must start writing my PS tomorrow - I've been looking at the application forms ready to print out I notice some unis don't even ask for a supporting statement (eg Reading...) - I guess everythings in the interview.

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address if you want to find me on fbook
:smile:
Reply 144
Original post by SalC
Hiya, I'm looking at DMU as it's one of the shorter courses, and i love the look of the campus, however there doesn't seem to be an in detail description of the course modules on the website. If i visit the open day will there be more information available? How do you find living on campus, and near leicester which is one of the smaller cities in the country?

Thanks,
Sal xx

I never visited a course open day, only a uni wide 1 so i cant tell you what info they will give you. there will be people to talk to and ask whatever questions you have.
in first year you do modules in phonetics, linguistic & grammar, child development, psychology & research methods, medical sciences, and a professional development module. You also have to do interprofessional education with other health care courses.

I really enjoyed living on campus, everything was nice and close to get to uni, into town and out at night. I like the fact Leicester is small as it means i can walk everywhere! im not a fan of huge cities so it suits me well!!
any other questions just shout!!! x
Hi, I'm applying this year too and my favourite so far is Newcastle- has anyone got any advice with regards to the personal statement? x
Original post by nataliemoore94
Hi, I'm applying this year too and my favourite so far is Newcastle- has anyone got any advice with regards to the personal statement? x

Once you've written a full draft, you can post it on the Health and Life Sciences section of the secure PS Help forum, where it can be reviewed by a PS helper like me. :smile:
Reply 147
Hi guys,

Really helpful posts thank you to everyone! I am looking to apply for the post-grad course Sept 2012 later this year and its been good reading about what everyone is doing. I work full time at the moment in a media job so Im a bit worried that I am not going to have enough volunteering experience but you can only try I suppose!
I have been:
volunteering at a youth group with young people with language and communication problems
done some shadowing of a SLT in primary school
observed at an adult stammering group
started volunteering at a group of adults learning workshop with aphasia
working at a hospital two sat's a month with adults with a range of head and brain traumas

Does this sound like enough?? Can anyone explain a bit more about what you should be showing in your application regarding how your experience is relevant? eg. what sort of things do you think they are looking for?

Lastly (!) did anyone use the City online application form last year - it doesnt seem to have been updated recently???

thanks!

S
Reply 148
Original post by sineadp
Hi guys,

Really helpful posts thank you to everyone! I am looking to apply for the post-grad course Sept 2012 later this year and its been good reading about what everyone is doing. I work full time at the moment in a media job so Im a bit worried that I am not going to have enough volunteering experience but you can only try I suppose!
I have been:
volunteering at a youth group with young people with language and communication problems
working at a hospital two sat's a month with adults with a range of head and brain traumas

Does this sound like enough?? Can anyone explain a bit more about what you should be showing in your application regarding how your experience is relevant? eg. what sort of things do you think they are looking for?

Lastly (!) did anyone use the City online application form last year - it doesnt seem to have been updated recently???

thanks!

S

Hi!!

You sound like you've got a good range of different experience to me :smile:
I just started looking at the application forms yesterday and drafting a first personal statement. I've put in a bit about why I want to do the course, my experience and what I have learned from it and a bit about my other hobbies. Still needs a bit of tweaking though.

As for City - yes I noticed it still seemed to be from 2010 and you couldn't download a printable copy. Maybe they're in the process of updating it? I also notice they have some additional questions you need to answer so I'll be working on those tonight
Hi, i'm applying this year after failing to get the right grades last year and aiming a bit too high for myself. Anyone else in the same situation? Would be great to talk. I'm so excited about reapplying! This course is all i want to do.
Original post by sineadp
Hi guys,

I have been:

thanks!

S

Hey there! :smile:

I'm working full time too as a copywriter so finding it tough to get more work experience. I volunteer weekly at a stroke support group and have got various courses and shadow sessions coming up. You sound like you've got a really good range of experience :smile: As long as you explain what you've learnt from it etc it should definitely be enough. I've spoken to quite a few unis now and they've emphasised that it's not quantity, but about how you can explain what you've gained from the experience, i.e. how it has make you positive that you want to study SLT etc... Sorry this is a really garbled message and I don't have time to check it makes sense, haha.

What A-levels did you do? Do you have a degree?

x
P.S. Is it just me or does 12/13 months seem like agggggggggges away?! D'oh :/
Reply 152
P.S. Is it just me or does 12/13 months seem like agggggggggges away?! D'oh :/

I can't believe how quickly my first year at college was over, so I'm hoping same will go for A2! Although when I think about all the things I have to do before leaving home I'm quite glad I've got a whole year! :redface:
Original post by SalC
I can't believe how quickly my first year at college was over, so I'm hoping same will go for A2! Although when I think about all the things I have to do before leaving home I'm quite glad I've got a whole year! :redface:

Yeah I think it'd feel less far away if I were still at college... Unfortunately, another year of full time work in marketing makes my eyes want to drop out... Haha. :eek:
Reply 154
Original post by pimpom
Hi!!

You sound like you've got a good range of different experience to me :smile:
I just started looking at the application forms yesterday and drafting a first personal statement. I've put in a bit about why I want to do the course, my experience and what I have learned from it and a bit about my other hobbies. Still needs a bit of tweaking though.

As for City - yes I noticed it still seemed to be from 2010 and you couldn't download a printable copy. Maybe they're in the process of updating it? I also notice they have some additional questions you need to answer so I'll be working on those tonight

Hey, thanks for the tips - Im trying get working on mine too. I just phoned City actually and they said they wont be uploading the new form unti the end of October!! It seems very late but I cant work out if the online system will be up and running before that!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 155
Hey there! :smile:

I'm working full time too as a copywriter so finding it tough to get more work experience. I volunteer weekly at a stroke support group and have got various courses and shadow sessions coming up. You sound like you've got a really good range of experience :smile: As long as you explain what you've learnt from it etc it should definitely be enough. I've spoken to quite a few unis now and they've emphasised that it's not quantity, but about how you can explain what you've gained from the experience, i.e. how it has make you positive that you want to study SLT etc... Sorry this is a really garbled message and I don't have time to check it makes sense, haha.

What A-levels did you do? Do you have a degree?

x

Makes sense to me! I've got a few shadowing sessions and courses coming up too - would be funny to bump into you at one of them! I'm going to try and use this long bank holiday to start working on my personal statement part of the forms - I think Im going to fill in hard copies rather then using the online as all the uploading of each document seems so complicated - or maybe thats just me!
I got a high 2:1 in my first degree but in a not very related subject, sociology and hr. my A-levels also arent very related, English, Geography and Drama! Its just scary to think you can put so much into it and it might not happen this year!
Original post by sineadp
Makes sense to me! I've got a few shadowing sessions and courses coming up too - would be funny to bump into you at one of them! I'm going to try and use this long bank holiday to start working on my personal statement part of the forms - I think Im going to fill in hard copies rather then using the online as all the uploading of each document seems so complicated - or maybe thats just me!
I got a high 2:1 in my first degree but in a not very related subject, sociology and hr. my A-levels also arent very related, English, Geography and Drama! Its just scary to think you can put so much into it and it might not happen this year!

Yeah it is scary, I can't imagine having to wait two years, but I would if I had to.

Where are your courses? I have a two day Citylit one at the end of Sept, one with my local hospital SLT team and a two day one in Northwick Hospital in London which includes a shadow session.

I've got a degree too - in English Lang/Lit. I got a first but I don't think it's directly relevant to SLT. I did some core linguistic modules but I tended to lean towards Lit more than Lang. For A-Levels I did English Lang/Lit, Psychology and Classical Civilisations.... the last one isn't relevant at all, but it was fun learning about Julius Caesar etc, haha.

Are you going to any open days?
Reply 157
Yeah it is scary, I can't imagine having to wait two years, but I would if I had to.

Where are your courses? I have a two day Citylit one at the end of Sept, one with my local hospital SLT team and a two day one in Northwick Hospital in London which includes a shadow session.

I've got a degree too - in English Lang/Lit. I got a first but I don't think it's directly relevant to SLT. I did some core linguistic modules but I tended to lean towards Lit more than Lang. For A-Levels I did English Lang/Lit, Psychology and Classical Civilisations.... the last one isn't relevant at all, but it was fun learning about Julius Caesar etc, haha.

Are you going to any open days?

Oh yes I saw that City One but because I work full time I couldn't get the time off. Really annoying as I think it will be really good. I've got one set up in Wandsworth for a day and I've spent a day shadowing with a local SLT service too. Im hopefully going to get another day in soon.

I went to the City and UCL open days - they basically told you how hard the course was and how many people applied and didnt get on. I think it was to scare off people who really arent interested enough!
Original post by sineadp
Oh yes I saw that City One but because I work full time I couldn't get the time off. Really annoying as I think it will be really good. I've got one set up in Wandsworth for a day and I've spent a day shadowing with a local SLT service too. Im hopefully going to get another day in soon.

I went to the City and UCL open days - they basically told you how hard the course was and how many people applied and didnt get on. I think it was to scare off people who really arent interested enough!

Yeah I managed to book the days off. It's rubbish, I only get 20 days a year and I've practically used them all up!

Ahh, I'm not going to apply to City or UCL. Don't City ask for A*AA? When I did my A-levels, you couldn't even get an A*! Plus, I don't fancy London too much.

I'm going to go to Plymouth open day (purely because its the first and the others aren't until October) then Manchester and Reading.
I would like to apply for the masters course in this but I'm unsure if I have enough experience for 2012 entry. I graduated in 2010 with a 2.1 in psychology and I've been working as a support worker for adults with learning disabilities for the past 5/6 months (communication is obviously a major part of this role & the residents have varying levels of communication difficulties. some are autistic with limited verbal speech and others with down syndrome have problems with understanding and expressing themselves verbally).

I've only recently realised that this is something I think I could really enjoy doing, I had speech therapy myself when I was younger & benefited from it a lot. I've also contacted a local private therapy group that hold sessions with children with communication difficulties and I've been invited along to a session held by a speech and language therapist. Going to try and organise some more voluntary/shadowing positions. Just wondering how much experience you're expected to have for the postgrad course? Or does this differ with the different unis?

Quick Reply

Latest