The Student Room Group

Independent ACA any use?

Well basically, I just finished my BSc Economics. I have been looking for an ACA contract for a while now : had a AC with PWC and interviews with KPMG and Delloite.

However, its suddenly July, and I have no contract, and basically, all opportunities for ACA in September, even the lower firms, have run out.

What do you think I should do, since I'm set on ACA.

Would registering and doing it independantly help my case? I mean, if i've already done 6 modules, wouldn't firms want to hire me more? It would show I can do it, and it will save them some time and money?

I don't see how I have any other option then that. I can't waste 12 months doing nothing, trying to get an ACA contract for September 2012?

Btw. I have a high 2.1 in Economics, and ABBc at A levels. Maths, Business, History and English Lit and AS.
Reply 1
I was in the same situation as you three years ago.

I managed to get a contract with a small/mid sized firm.

Personally, if I could go back in time, I probably would have waited and reapplied to the Big 4 and tried to get in.

I know PWC have an April intake - not sure about the others?

Depends on what you want really - there are a lot of small firms and a lot of them will do two intakes in a year.

I wouldn't recommend doing the ACA on your own due to the cost but yeah, it would probably help you get hired.

If you can get relevant work experience before you reapply to Big 4 it would probably stand you in as good stead though.
Reply 2
Original post by Blitz999
Well basically, I just finished my BSc Economics. I have been looking for an ACA contract for a while now : had a AC with PWC and interviews with KPMG and Delloite.

However, its suddenly July, and I have no contract, and basically, all opportunities for ACA in September, even the lower firms, have run out.

What do you think I should do, since I'm set on ACA.

Would registering and doing it independantly help my case? I mean, if i've already done 6 modules, wouldn't firms want to hire me more? It would show I can do it, and it will save them some time and money?

I don't see how I have any other option then that. I can't waste 12 months doing nothing, trying to get an ACA contract for September 2012?

Btw. I have a high 2.1 in Economics, and ABBc at A levels. Maths, Business, History and English Lit and AS.

It shoud do tbh. as u said it saves them time n money. i've done 5 knowledge modules on my own. passed 4 of em 1st time. only LAW took 2 attempts. preparing for taxation principles at the moment. they took me a month each. from what i've read, big 4 students get a WEEK each for them. :frown:

but coming back to what you asked, yeah go ahead if you've got a job to support the costs. i don't have a degree like you that's why it ain't gonna help me in anyway whatsoever i think. applied to this firm called cowgills holloway in bolton. got my first rejection. coz i didn't have a 2:1 degree.

Good luck anyway:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Gromithk
I was in the same situation as you three years ago.

I managed to get a contract with a small/mid sized firm.

Personally, if I could go back in time, I probably would have waited and reapplied to the Big 4 and tried to get in.

I know PWC have an April intake - not sure about the others?

Depends on what you want really - there are a lot of small firms and a lot of them will do two intakes in a year.

I wouldn't recommend doing the ACA on your own due to the cost but yeah, it would probably help you get hired.

If you can get relevant work experience before you reapply to Big 4 it would probably stand you in as good stead though.

This. Big 4 have a fairly rigid admissions process; I find it difficult to imagine that they would be treating applicants on such a case-by-case basis that they'll take into account independent attempts at exams - HR departments are often disconnected from the actual business and may have fairly generic criteria with which to assess candidates. So at worst, you'll be wasting your time if Big 4 is where you want to go and at best, it won't guarantee you entry.

If you've decided that accountancy is for you, hold your horses and apply for more grad schemes for the next round of entry, as you'll probably be a better candidate second time round. Also, although ICAS/ICAEW is hard, it's probably a more motivating and structured (and cost effective!) experience doing it with a firm.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Foxius
it's probably a more motivating and structured (and cost effective!) experience doing it with a firm.

Good luck!

I'm currently doing it with my firm (big 4)

Motivating - You will get sacked if you get below 45% on first attempt or you fail twice. It is related to the job and you are given tuition at college. Definitely cheaper as everything is free/you get paid to go to college.

However....I would personally like more time in between exams. You have this opportunity, even if you get a boring part time finance job for the year and pass the first 12 exams in your spare time you can probably go to a decent accountancy firm (top 30) and get a job relatively easily, if you have the other characteristics required.

I don't like it when I take an exam and think the next day I may have screwed up and I might not have a job anymore. If I was in your position I would take as much of the ACA at home, to avoid this worry!
Reply 5
Original post by mali167
from what i've read, big 4 students get a WEEK each for them. :frown:

correct, and it's brutal :frown:

but the knowledge modules definitely very passable via independent study (given enough time to prepare for them!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending