The Student Room Group

Why do some people still buy CDs

Anyone here still buy the LPs when they come out? Whats your reason for not buying off amazon/hmv/itunes etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LPs are too expensive for me (£25 for a new album???) but I will pretty much only buy music on CD.
I'm prepared to pay a few pounds more to get a physical 'thing' that I can put onto itunes and my ipod and flick through the lyric booklet etc.
There's something very pleasing about spending some money and not just getting pixels on a screen and some mp3 files.
I used to be a die hard CD fan. I use to love having the booklet, the case, the disc... but recently my mind has flipped the other way. I had almost 400 cds and I started to realise how I never used them at all. They would just be ripped onto my hard drive and left alone until the day I wanted to reinstall windows.. in which I would have to rerip them all again.

They take up far too much space in my room and dusting them all the time is a hastle. So I'm now selling them all. If anyone is looking to buy CDs for competitive prices (Mostly Metal/hard rock etc.) then PM me and I can show you my Amazon page.
Reply 3
I personally think they are incredibily overpriced so I don't buy them.
Reply 4
I don't buy LPs, but I do buy CDs. Mainly because I can put them on my computer in whichever format I want, and not spend hours converting them all.

Also, iTunes is a joke of a program, why people use it? No idea.

I agree with post #2, if I'm paying with cash, I want something physical unless it's a good piece of quality software which will be supported for a while to come - Windows, Office, some games...
Not enough acess to youtube converter is what i'd say :wink:
I do buy CDs sometimes (very rarely- If I want one I generally ask someone to give it to me for christmas or birthday). I like having them to listen to in the car, as the car radio doesn't have anywhere to plug a lead in for my ipod, and I'm not a huge fan of the radio.
Reply 7
I just like having a physical copy of my favourite albums. My boyfriend still buys LPs, because he's convinced they sound better :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Sometimes i'll buy it off itunes, other times i'll buy the CD. As sad as it sounds i like having the case.
Reply 9
like to have the physical copy
Reply 10
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I used to be a die hard CD fan. I use to love having the booklet, the case, the disc... but recently my mind has flipped the other way. I had almost 400 cds and I started to realise how I never used them at all. They would just be ripped onto my hard drive and left alone until the day I wanted to reinstall windows.. in which I would have to rerip them all again.

They take up far too much space in my room and dusting them all the time is a hastle. So I'm now selling them all. If anyone is looking to buy CDs for competitive prices (Mostly Metal/hard rock etc.) then PM me and I can show you my Amazon page.

I'm interested in the metal stuff....
Won't be able to buy for a couple of weeks though as not in the country as of tomorrow.
Original post by Atomic Tundra
Anyone here still buy the LPs when they come out? Whats your reason for not buying off amazon/hmv/itunes etc?

After a couple of weeks it's pretty much always cheaper to buy CDs than to download stuff. I don't see why I should pay extra for the privilege of not actually owning anything.
There's something incredibly satisfying about happily clutching the new record of your favourite band after they've spent the last few months slaving over it! I hope CDs never die.

I also like the more personal level of CDs; when you buy CDs from Banquet Records, they always write you a little note about other stuff you might like based on the record you've just bought, a real nice touch that you just can't get with digital downloads.

Plus, having a CD collection is something to cherish!
I buy my music on vinyl and I doubt that will ever change. I like the sound of analogue; playing music the way it originally was intended.
having a physical copy is just nice and it's good to bring CDs in a car when you're on a road trip with your friends.
Reply 15
Original post by Manitude
LPs are too expensive for me (£25 for a new album???) but I will pretty much only buy music on CD.
I'm prepared to pay a few pounds more to get a physical 'thing' that I can put onto itunes and my ipod and flick through the lyric booklet etc.
There's something very pleasing about spending some money and not just getting pixels on a screen and some mp3 files.

This. I love having a physical CD collection. I do buy the odd album off itunes (or youtube:wink:) but most of the time I'll enjoy actually buying a physical product so I can put the cd in my car stereo or look through the lyrics booklet and then put it onto the pc and ipod.
Reply 16
Original post by Olie
This. I love having a physical CD collection. I do buy the odd album off itunes (or youtube:wink:) but most of the time I'll enjoy actually buying a physical product so I can put the cd in my car stereo or look through the lyrics booklet and then put it onto the pc and ipod.

Aye. I check out new music on youtube and often buy the album later (sometimes I'll never end up buying anything because of cost, unavailability or ethical reasons)

That said I bought two and a half albums off itunes today using a voucher I got ages ago. Quite annoyed at the two songs I didn't manage to get. 78p left in credit and each song was 79p. And then it wouldn't accept my card details and kept telling me they were fake :/
Reply 17
There's just something about going out and browsing through HMV for a physical copy.
Reply 18
I don't really, but it's nice to have a collection on your shelf.
Original post by Philbert
I just like having a physical copy of my favourite albums. My boyfriend still buys LPs, because he's convinced they sound better :rolleyes:

That's because they do :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest