The Student Room Group

Mixed raced but look nothing like my ethnicity

This annoys the hell out of me.

Everywhere I go out I get asked my ethnicity. It's either where do you come from or what race are you. Then I have to explain that my mother is White and my Dad is black. Then they probably think I'm lying.

It's just like if I talk to someone this comes up within 20 minutes and it's annoying as hell.

Does any mixed race people experience this?

P.S. It's strange how I look so Asian. I have no Asian people in my family or in ancestors.

I look to unique. Who the hell wants to look unique? not me. I've actually been asked out a lot so I suppose at least I'm not unattractive. Also, I suspect Asian people are trolling when they say they can't get white gf.

Scroll to see replies

So you look like the lighter side of a Jaffa Cake when you actually want to look like the darker side?
Original post by Simplicity

I've actually been asked out a lot so I suppose at least I'm not unattractive.

/thread
Reply 3
In America you'd be a Mexican!
Reply 4
Your parents are lying to you.

True story.
Reply 5
This annoys the hell out of me.

Everywhere I go out I get asked my ethnicity. It's either where do you come from or what race are you. Then I have to explain that my mother is White and my Dad is black. Then they probably think I'm lying.

It's just like if I talk to someone this comes up within 20 minutes and it's annoying as hell.

Does any mixed race people experience this?

P.S. It's strange how I look so Asian. I have no Asian people in my family or in ancestors.

I look to unique. Who the hell wants to look unique? not me. I've actually been asked out a lot so I suppose at least I'm not unattractive. Also, I suspect Asian people are trolling when they say they can't get white gf.

I get asked where I'm from all the time (I'm half English {with a splash of italian} and half Indian).

I've been called Turkish, Chinese, Malaysian, Brazillian (lol), Spanish by a spanish flight waitress, to name a few!

But I don't find it annoying at all! It's actually quite fun - I usually ask them to guess instead of telling them straight away :tongue:

(Alas, I rarely get asked out :frown: )
(edited 12 years ago)

What about the milkman, was he Asian?
Reply 7
Original post by delasandro
So you look like the lighter side of a Jaffa Cake when you actually want to look like the darker side?

Well, I think I'm too white. I would like to have more dominate black features. Like got very light skin even for an Asian person, white curly hair.

boromir9111
/thread

Just feel like I have no culture or racial identity. Can't say I'm black as I don't look black or have anything that is black about me. I'm not white.

Just feels weird. I'm not black and I'm not white. Look Asian, but not Asian. Have to look in the mirror and think what do I look like? no one.
Reply 8
You look a lot like Aaron Lennon who I think is half Jamaican half English.
Reply 9
Original post by tehforum
Your parents are lying to you.

True story.

My Sister looks Asian to some degree. If it wasn't for my Sister I would assume that or something like getting mixed up in hospital.

7he5haman
I get asked where I'm from all the time (I'm half English {with a splash of italian} and half Indian).

I've been called Turkish, Chinese, Malaysian, Brazillian (lol), Spanish by a spanish flight waitress, to name a few!

But I don't find it annoying at all! It's actually quite fun - I usually ask them to guess instead of telling them straight away

(Alas, I rarely get asked out )

I was wondering if Asian get asked where they are from all the time or is it just me.

See that annoys me more if I ask them to guess, nobody guesses correctly. Like you still probably look Asian to some degree.

I find it awkard when Asian people ask my ethnicity. As they ask are you Indian or are you Muslim.

Poor you!
I'm like you I had people come up to me and start speaking to me in different foreign languages, when I'm look confused they then ask me what my ethnicity is. lol
I got called mixrace in Hong Kong because I told this sales assistant in a store that I had only just got off the plane from England....I was the same ethnicity as she was.
Original post by hownowbrownowl
I got called mixrace in Hong Kong because I told this sales assistant in a store that I had only just got off the plane from England....I was the same ethnicity as she was.

So?
This happens to me as well (half English/quarter Trinidadian and Chinese). A lot of people think I'm South Asian. It also doesn't help that I have an Arabic name.
Original post by Curly_hair_girl
I'm like you I had people come up to me and start speaking to me in different foreign languages, when I'm look confused they then ask me what my ethnicity is. lol

What is your ethnicity if i may ask?
You look asian in that pic. Got to say I have never met a mixed race (white&black) person that looks asian.

You're unique. Or Asian or course.
Original post by TheEssence
What is your ethnicity if i may ask?

(African-American, gyanese)Black/ white (English with some Irish thrown in) .
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
So?

So being seen as something even though you're not can still happen for people who wouldn't class themselves as mixed race.
Reply 19
Well, I think I'm too white. I would like to have more dominate black features. Like got very light skin even for an Asian person, white curly hair.

Just feel like I have no culture or racial identity. Can't say I'm black as I don't look black or have anything that is black about me. I'm not white.

Just feels weird. I'm not black and I'm not white. Look Asian, but not Asian. Have to look in the mirror and think what do I look like? no one.

Well of course you can't as you're MIXED RACE. The point is that you're more than one race, therefore, you aren't going to be 'black' or 'white' are you?
Why does it matter that you don't look like anyone? That's what makes you individual.
I suggest you stop whining about something that you'll never be able to change and stop letting peoples' curiosity in your ethnicity bother you because, unless they're being racist, that's the least of your worries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending