Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Mods, I know this is in the wrong forum but I want stay anon - move the thread if necessary?

Basically, a few days ago my friend and I were caught shoplifting in Superdrug. We are both 17. We both had stolen various other items from other shops which were then taken from us. We were eventually reprimanded.
We were told that some of the shops we stole from may send us fines. My question is, do we legally have to pay these fines? Some quick googling suggests that certain companies have no right to fine us?
(we haven't actually received any fines yet)
No lectures please. It was stupid. I won't be doing it again - if anything, it's probably good that we were caught before it escalated too far.
Thanks
---
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why would they not have the right? You stole from them...
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Helpful responses please.
gypsyclimber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think you should take the consequences, I don't see how they shouldn't have the right. You took their produce...they take it back in some form. Face up to your punishment and take it like a man.
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What do you mean they wouldn't have a right to demand compensation for property you stole from them? Of course they can.

As for fines, police/courts give out fines, not companies.
Yawn11
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Legallly they can prosecute you and get a lot more, also give you a criminal record.

I don't do law, so I might be wrong.
firefly_04_<3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i think you should grow a pair and accept the consequences of your actions. funny you're asking about the legality of the fines when you didnt think of the legality of stealing
Lady Gaga's Bottom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Shouldn't be a pikey then should you?
Ginsberg
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fines for criminal behaviour can only be imposed by a court of law or by police (which you can appeal to a court of law).

I have not heard of shops issuing private fines for shoplifting offences and expect you will recieve nothing from the shops other than a ban from their premises.

If you do get sent a request for a fine from any shop, it will be a civil fine, meaning you will not be at risk of criminal prosecution if you do not pay. In order to impose a civil fine they will have to have a policy of fining shoplifters codified in their store policy.

My advice would therefore be not to pay any initially. Theoretically, if they're fine is legal they could sue you for it in the civil courts if you refuse to pay, but they are unlikely to do this as the amounts will not be significant and would have to be pursued in the small claims court, where you must pay your own legal costs evn if you win, therefore it would probably be more expensive to sue you for the money even if you pay it as a result. They also cannot damage your credit rating as a civil fine is not 'debt'

If you can manage the amount, or if the letters become increasingly threatening and you fear legal action, you may want to just pay it and get it off your mind, bt whatever happens I expect you can just ignore it and nothing serious will happen.

Of course, if the police fine you its a different matter. Did you say you were reprimanded, or have you accepted a caution? If you have acceped a caution, shops cant press for further prosecution and police cant issue a further fine so ignore everything
HJV
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ginsberg)
My advice would therefore be not to pay any initially. Theoretically, if they're fine is legal they could sue you for it in the civil courts if you refuse to pay, but they are unlikely to do this as the amounts will not be significant and would have to be pursued in the small claims court, where you must pay your own legal costs evn if you win, therefore it would probably be more expensive to sue you for the money even if you pay it as a result. They also cannot damage your credit rating as a civil fine is not 'debt'
Surely by paying the civil fine she'll avoid a criminal record for stealing, though? If she doesn't pay it'll go to the police.
Jordan21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ginsberg)
Fines for criminal behaviour can only be imposed by a court of law or by police (which you can appeal to a court of law).

I have not heard of shops issuing private fines for shoplifting offences and expect you will recieve nothing from the shops other than a ban from their premises.

If you do get sent a request for a fine from any shop, it will be a civil fine, meaning you will not be at risk of criminal prosecution if you do not pay. In order to impose a civil fine they will have to have a policy of fining shoplifters codified in their store policy.

If you can manage the amount, or if the letters become increasingly threatening and you fear legal action, you may want to just pay it and get it off your mind, bt whatever happens I expect you can just ignore it and nothing serious will happen.

Of course, if the police fine you its a different matter. Did you say you were reprimanded, or have you accepted a caution? If you have acceped a caution, shops cant press for further prosecution and police cant issue a further fine so ignore everything
Why shouldn't they pay the fine? They stole, they pay. It shouldn't matter if they have already been given a caution. How ridiculous.
Astonix
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Godamn chavs these days.
BritGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
But why wouldn't you have to pay the fines? Is it because you're 17 or what?
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've heard of this crazy thing going on in some places. When someone wants something they hand over these metal coin thingys and notes in return for them. It will never catch on though but some places insist that you do it.

You are scum, and hopefully you will realise this sooner rather than later and do do something about it.
Helpful_Charlie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Keep your hands to yourself then.
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Mods, I know this is in the wrong forum but I want stay anon - move the thread if necessary?

Basically, a few days ago my friend and I were caught shoplifting in Superdrug. We are both 17. We both had stolen various other items from other shops which were then taken from us. We were eventually reprimanded.
We were told that some of the shops we stole from may send us fines. My question is, do we legally have to pay these fines? Some quick googling suggests that certain companies have no right to fine us?
(we haven't actually received any fines yet)
No lectures please. It was stupid. I won't be doing it again - if anything, it's probably good that we were caught before it escalated too far.
Thanks
It's called civil recovery, and yes they do use it. If you admitted it, or were caught red handed, they can send you a bill - probably in the region of £500 or so. It will be much higher than the cost of the stuff you were trying to nick, because it's supposed to be punitive and they don't catch everyone, of course they want to offset their security costs and the loss from shoplifting that they don't catch.

You can of course choose not to pay it, and there is no way they can force you to do so, in which case it may get treated as a civil debt, and a note on your credit file, so just like anyone else who thinks they don't have to pay their credit card and mobile phone bills, court judgements (CCJ) and anything else of that nature.

However, good luck getting a mortgage in the future, and all your credit cards and loans will only be possible with the courtesy of Vanquis (usurious interest rates)

The fact that you were 17 may or may not help with regards the civil debt, but I think it's probably unlikely, should they choose to chase you, it's the choice between whatever they decide to bill you or your credit record, unfortunately.

Usually all works out though, the types of people who get civil recovery levied on them aren't usually the type who will access credit in the 'normal' way.
TiredNdRestless
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Someone stole something from the backyard of a store I recently worked at. Stole like metal poles is all, really crappy ones. Got caught, taken to court. They now pay £2000 in fines. I know, because I used to bank it as sundries :/
pinkspiders
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You'll have to pay something. A lot of shops demand compensation from those that steal from them...
easter_bunny
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Did it occur to you that they are justified in expecting you to pay a fine?

It says a lot that not only do you steal, but you then try and wriggle out of a fine! Unbelievable. Just pay it.
RainbowDoll
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pay the fine and stop being a theif.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads