The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would choose Wadham (that said, I haven't actually been to see Christ Church so I can't really comment in respect to that college - I have heard that it is quite big and scary though and it is seen as quite an 'arrogant' college).

'Easiest' to get into would be Exeter (but tbh it's still going to be hard wherever you apply), but it's still a good college academically. I thought about applying there, it seemed quite cosy and had quite a relaxed feel about it. However, when I went to visit during the interview period it was absolutely dead, the current students hadn't made an effort to make applicants feel welcome and I could see how it might feel a bit claustraphobic (my friend's room there was on the small side with sloping walls which really made you feel you were in a box, especially as the windows were blocked!)

I also spent quite a bit of time at Wadham and absolutely loved it. The students there were very out-going and hugely welcoming (they organised activities like Quaser for applicants). The accomodation was fantastic (living room with fridge and coffee tables/settee type chairs connected to bedroom plus sink) and the general feel was very lively and friendly. The college performs really well academically but isn't seen as a 'geeky' college (e.g. as opposed to Merton). I did go to the bar but I didn't check out the prices so I can't really help you with that.

I would say that applying to Christ Church and Wadham would be much more competitive than Exeter. All three sound like good choices though :smile:
Reply 2
Lucy

'Easiest' to get into would be Exeter

Are they not letting less people in than normal this year though because they granted entry to the college to too many people last year though? Or am I completely confused between different colleges?
Reply 3
Amazing
Are they not letting less people in than normal this year though because they granted entry to the college to too many people last year though? Or am I completely confused between different colleges?

Where did you hear that from? I'm not sure, I guess it could be possible but I'm sure that the admissions' tutors know what works for them (with respect to their admissions' procedure). All I know is that the applications : place ratio for subjects generally is lower at Exeter as opposed to at Wadham/Christ Church.
Reply 4
Lucy
Where did you hear that from? I'm not sure, I guess it could be possible but I'm sure that the admissions' tutors know what works for them (with respect to their admissions' procedure). All I know is that the applications : place ratio for subjects generally is lower at Exeter as opposed to at Wadham/Christ Church.

I think I heard it in this forum - lol, I suspected it might have been from you too. Has there actually been more people than usual admitted recently though, or anything like that?

Why do you think it's easier to get into anyway? From the admissions ratio tables, it seems to be one of the easiest on the whole college - despite being located around the centre, and being one of the older, nicer looking colleges.
Reply 5
Amazing

I believe that was St Anne's
Lucy
Where did you hear that from? I'm not sure, I guess it could be possible but I'm sure that the admissions' tutors know what works for them (with respect to their admissions' procedure). All I know is that the applications to places ratio for subjects generally is lower at Exeter as opposed to at Wadham/Christ Church.

That's correct, although I only looked into Physics personally concerning applicants to places ratio, Wadham is most competitive of the ones listed, with Christ Chruch behind, then Exeter.
I am pretty sure that this applies for virtually all degree subjects at oxford, more or less anyway.

Of course, in choosing your college, you need to weigh up important options.

i.e.) If you are really desperate in getting into a good college, then perhaps Wadham is worth it.

But if you really just wanna get into oxford, then perhaps Exeter would be a safer bet (although its still a decent college mind you, fairly central and decent facilities nevertheless so it may be a good option.)

However, if you want something thats fairly in between (in reference to the colleges you listed) that is good, yet has a reasonable competition level (for oxford i mean) then maybe christ church could be your best bet.

Anyway, all 3 are good colleges, but you need to think what is more important - the better college, or getting into oxford.

Also note - If you have a flaw in your application i.e.) GCSE's are a little weaker than perhaps desired, then I WOULD ADVISE Exeter over say Wadham. (easier to get in)

However, if you are a strong applicant all round (we are talking oxford wise here) then Wadham would be worth it - because even if you were unlucky to not get in, you could always get accepted into another college thats perhaps not quite as competitive but still decent.

End of the day, you need to be realistic - i.e.) "Are the Wadham applicants gonna be superb, whereas my grades are pretty average to say the least."

Of course, i don't know your grades, so i shall shut up now! :biggrin:

Anyway, all the best, I hope it goes well for you when the time comes round. :smile:
Reply 7
Amazing
Has there actually been more people than usual admitted recently though, or anything like that?

I have absolutely no idea (and I can assure you I haven't commented before about them admitting more people than usual as I literally have no clue if they have or not :tongue: )

Amazing
Why do you think it's easier to get into anyway?

The original poster asked which college was easiest to get into with respect to competition for places and as I mentioned before the applications : place ratio at Exeter is generally lower than at the 2 other colleges he mentioned.
correct.

Wadham followed by Christ Church, followed by exeter. (although the gap between Wadham and Christ Church for applicants to places ratio, is greater than that of Christ Chruch to Exeter.)
Jesus, I just wrote an essay - which I could do the same in such quick time with my real work! :biggrin:
Reply 10
bono
Jesus, I just wrote an essay - which I could do the same in such quick time with my real work! :biggrin:

lol, don't worry, I ramble (a lot) :tongue: It was all useful info though so I'm sure he will appreciate it!
Lucy
lol, don't worry, I ramble (a lot) :tongue: It was all useful info though so I'm sure he will appreciate it!

Yes, although its difficult to comment on "best college for me" without knowing his grades.

I mean, if its a person who got amazing grades, then its worth going for Wadham as he/she could get in, and if not, could always go into another college anyway.

But for a person who say has a weakness in their grades (GCSE or AS) then they have to be sensible and realistic, and not just say "oo, this one looks awesome" - the rejection letter wouldn't. (ok, mayb they may get in if very lucky, but its less chance anyway.)

There are still good colleges, its about prioritizing.

And yes, this is turning into an essay - knew i should have done english hehe :smile:
Reply 12
can i just say (as an exeter college reject!) that i think it is a bit unfair to say exeter is an 'easier' college to get into...

I had interviews at exeter and new and there were the same number of applicants at both, and i did not have average grades (8A*s, 2As, 4As at ASs with full marks in three modules, and good marks in the rest, and a good BMAT mark) yet i still got rejected.

I chose exeter coz it was average-size friendly and you couldn't get any more central.

equally, one of the weakest oxbridge applicants from my school (3A*s at GCSEs) applied to St Anne's, and got an offer from Wadham instead...
TomB2000
can i just say (as an exeter college reject!) that i think it is a bit unfair to say exeter is an 'easier' college to get into...

I had interviews at exeter and new and there were the same number of applicants at both, and i did not have average grades (8A*s, 2As, 4As at ASs with full marks in three modules, and good marks in the rest, and a good BMAT mark) yet i still got rejected.

I chose exeter coz it was average-size friendly and you couldn't get any more central.

equally, one of the weakest oxbridge applicants from my school (3A*s at GCSEs) applied to St Anne's, and got an offer from Wadham instead...

i was generalizing, i was trying to give advice to this person.

Looking at statistics, it is easier to get into Wadham than Exeter - the applicants to places ratio is harsher at Wadham.

Obviously, with Oxford, anyone can get rejected from any college, because its so competitive - i respect that - exeter is still v.competitive, and its superb to get in there - btw, i was referring to exeter being easiest of the three, although just look at the 3 colleges listed!!!!

In terms of advice, i have to use stats and not single cases - people who are absolutely astonishing get rejected from any college, and some average ones creep in.
TomB2000

Staistically from the 3 colleges listed in the poll, it is.

I enver said it was an easy college to get into - i said that statistically it was the least ahrsh of the 3.

In terms of Oxford itself, its still pretty tough to get into, as with most oxford colleges, although its harder than many other colleges - i've checked it out.
bono
Staistically from the 3 colleges listed in the poll, it is.

I enver said it was an easy college to get into - i said that statistically it was the least ahrsh of the 3.

In terms of Oxford itself, its still pretty tough to get into, as with most oxford colleges, although its harder than many other colleges - i've checked it out.

Can I just point out that more applicants per place does not necessarily lead to greater competitiveness. Some colleges go to extraordinary lengths to try and find places for good candidates who they can't accomodate, whereas others just reject them straight out, and this tends to be ones with fewer applicants per place.
hildabeast
Can I just point out that more applicants per place does not necessarily lead to greater competitiveness. Some colleges go to extraordinary lengths to try and find places for good candidates who they can't accomodate, whereas others just reject them straight out, and this tends to be ones with fewer applicants per place.

that is another good point to consider.

e.g.) you are in a group of 100 applicants, but their gcse and AS grades are not that special overall, compared to yourself.

you are placed in another group of only 20 applicants, but these 20 are absolutely superb.

good point there. :smile:
Reply 17
hildabeast
whereas others just reject them straight out, and this tends to be ones with fewer applicants per place.

Such as Exeter?
Reply 18
TomB2000

I tried to word my post (obviously not very successfully :tongue: ) in a way that wouldn't offend, I do realise that it is extremely difficult to earn a place at any college and I'm sorry if I didn't get that point across. The original poster seemed to think that the easier colleges are the ones which are less oversubscribed and the truth is that Exeter is less oversubscribed compared to Wadham/Christ Church.

I am definitely not saying that Exeter is easy to get into, I know very well that it isn't as my friend (excellent GCSE grades, 100% in about three quarters of her modules) had an absolute grilling when she applied for Earth Sciences (tbh there were only about 14 applicants for 10 places or something) yet she still didn't get in to her first choice college (which was Exeter).
Reply 19
Amazing
Such as Exeter?

I wouldn't label colleges who are more willing to make an effort to find their excellent applicants places (if there isn't enough space in that particular college) as it depends more on each tutor (if they are willing to go to the trouble) and the department (some departments collaborate more than others).

For example the Earth Scientist I mentioned earlier had interviews at both Exeter and Worcester but was finally offered a place at St Peter's. I wouldn't say that either Exeter or Worcester are extremely good at finding places for capable students who they can't offer places too, rather that either her interviewers were willing to look hard or that the Earth Sciences' department are used to collaborating (especially as Earth Sciences is a less popular subject so they probably want to spread students as evenly as possible between the colleges).