Why doesn't university accommodation allow fish? Watch

pierpebble
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I can see why if it's a HUGE fish tank, but my fish tank is 27x15cm. CENTIMETRES. It's a betta tank, which is why it's so small.

What trouble is my fish going to cause? It's not like he's going to have a massive rave at 4am in the morning
hawkesy_1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What they don't know won't hurt them
FinalMH
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pierpebble)
I can see why if it's a HUGE fish tank, but my fish tank is 27x15cm. CENTIMETRES. It's a betta tank, which is why it's so small.

What trouble is my fish going to cause? It's not like he's going to have a massive rave at 4am in the morning
haha you serious?
rachelkeira
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They say they don't but loads of people have them anyway... just hide them for room inspections... if you even have them
pierpebble
Rep:
?
(Original post by rachelkeira)
They say they don't but loads of people have them anyway... just hide them for room inspections... if you even have them
True... It's not like it would be difficult to hide a tank that small! I just don't understand why they have the rule in the first place!
The Mr Z
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

erm, I have no idea? risk of water damage if it gets broken?

I'm surprised they actually thought to ban them! Which uni is this? I'm surprised it hasn't been overlooked!
pierpebble
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Mr Z)
erm, I have no idea? risk of water damage if it gets broken?

I'm surprised they actually thought to ban them! Which uni is this? I'm surprised it hasn't been overlooked!
Both Lancaster AND Salford specifically say that no fish are allowed in their accomodation
I guess, but my tank has literally maybe 4 gallons of water in at most :|
catlover14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am sure a fish couldn't have a rave- you must be codding.
pierpebble
Rep:
?
(Original post by KatherineGiddins)
Oh you
Geraldine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The issues is that a couple of years ago at some school or another a pet turned out to be a death eater in disguise and it caused a lot of problems. Since then the relevant Ministry has strongly advised all educational establishments to make a blanket ban on pets. It has nothing to do with the size of pet or container. Constant vigilance people!
Kareir
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Geraldine)
The issues is that a couple of years ago at some school or another a pet turned out to be a death eater in disguise and it caused a lot of problems. Since then the relevant Ministry has strongly advised all educational establishments to make a blanket ban on pets. It has nothing to do with the size of pet or container. Constant vigilance people!
You can always tell a Harry Potter movie has just come out :L
pierpebble
Rep:
?
(Original post by Geraldine)
Yeah, you've got a point. Some ******* probably took a tank full of pirahnas.
Curly_hair_girl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The place is already full of smelly students, just imagine adding the smell of fish to that!
OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KatherineGiddins)
A fish related pun? Really? I've never heard a good one they're all a load of pollocks
The Mr Z
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Both Lancaster AND Salford specifically say that no fish are allowed in their accomodation
I guess, but my tank has literally maybe 4 gallons of water in at most :|
well 4 gallons is quite a bit, and it's not clean water. That gets into the floorboards or carpet and it can soak through into the room bellow quite quickly! (you can get that from heavy rain! personal experience)

I think it's more it would be harder to put a size regulation on it than just ban it completely.

Maybe they've had bad experiences in the past? Although it still seems like a silly rule to enforce!
pierpebble
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Mr Z)
well 4 gallons is quite a bit, and it's not clean water. That gets into the floorboards or carpet and it can soak through into the room bellow quite quickly! (you can get that from heavy rain! personal experience)

I think it's more it would be harder to put a size regulation on it than just ban it completely.

Maybe they've had bad experiences in the past? Although it still seems like a silly rule to enforce!
I meant 4 litres, not gallons :|
The Mr Z
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I meant 4 litres, not gallons :|
I'm guessing they envisaged bigger tanks. Still don't know why, but it is a rule, you either have to find a way to avoid getting caught or follow it.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
4 litres can still do a lot of damage tbf
ILurfSmurf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
in case someone puts this on their dog?

where would you draw the line, as its a fish
Astonix
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I should imagine a few people have knocked over their fish tanks after coming in late from a night out drinking, stumbling all over the place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%