The Student Room Group

Why doesn't university accommodation allow fish?

Scroll to see replies

Probably just trying to cover their backs for when you decide to throw a party and your drunk guests decide it'd be fun to play catch with a fishbowl/ you decide "I'm going to buy a fish lol", then don't feed it or clean the water and have a rotting fish stinking up the place/ someone knocks over the tank onto some electrics and cuts themself to shreds trying to clean up/ whatever crazy situation your mind could conjure.

Never underestimate the stupidity of students is the easiest motto for universities to live by =P When I started they told us with perfectly straight faces that the fire blankets were not to be used as capes at Hallowe'en.
Original post by pierpebble
I can see why if it's a HUGE fish tank, but my fish tank is 27x15cm. CENTIMETRES. It's a betta tank, which is why it's so small.

What trouble is my fish going to cause? It's not like he's going to have a massive rave at 4am in the morning :frown:

I wish he did though...
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
A fish related pun? Really? I've never heard a good one they're all a load of pollocks

Careful what you say... you don't want to make anenome out of me!
Fair point. I've always wanted a fish and it would definitely keep me entertained during late night revision sessions (admittedly I do have a bad history with fish... involving a whole bag of fish food, and my best friend's dead fish the next morning.... :getmecoat:). Might have to think of a way around this silly rule.
Original post by The Dark Lord
Careful what you say... you don't want to make anenome out of me!

I'm running a bit dry on puns myself this morning... but I hate to point out that an anemone isn't a fish. :facepalm2:

Original post by Jelephant
Probably just trying to cover their backs for when you decide to throw a party and your drunk guests decide it'd be fun to play catch with a fishbowl/ you decide "I'm going to buy a fish lol", then don't feed it or clean the water and have a rotting fish stinking up the place/ someone knocks over the tank onto some electrics and cuts themself to shreds trying to clean up/ whatever crazy situation your mind could conjure.

Never underestimate the stupidity of students is the easiest motto for universities to live by =P When I started they told us with perfectly straight faces that the fire blankets were not to be used as capes at Hallowe'en.

Don't give me ideas...!
(edited 12 years ago)
I kept a hamster in halls at my last uni - tiny little chinese hamster, and just hid him under the bed whenever I knew someone would come snooping. The guy down the hall had guinea pigs - he got caught quite early on :biggrin:
Reply 26
It's just common sense not to have fish lying about the plaice :tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by Geraldine
The issues is that a couple of years ago at some school or another a pet turned out to be a death eater in disguise and it caused a lot of problems. Since then the relevant Ministry has strongly advised all educational establishments to make a blanket ban on pets. It has nothing to do with the size of pet or container. Constant vigilance people!

you can't be sirius?!?
Reply 28
Original post by lilahnurave
I kept a hamster in halls at my last uni - tiny little chinese hamster, and just hid him under the bed whenever I knew someone would come snooping. The guy down the hall had guinea pigs - he got caught quite early on :biggrin:

ooh shneeky, what uni was this may i ask?
Reply 29
It may be a small tank but you may have piranha fish.
Because fish are highly dangerous animals that have been known to kill millions upon millions of people.
Original post by Rascacielos
I'm running a bit dry on puns myself this morning... but I hate to point out that an anemone isn't a fish. :facepalm2:

I know that! You don't have to be a brain sturgeon to figure it out :P
Original post by Sagacious
Because fish are highly dangerous animals that have been known to kill millions upon millions of people.

I can imagine a movie title "Revenge of the Killer Goldfish"
Reply 33
Original post by Mizu
It may be a small tank but you may have piranha fish.

A pirahna? In a 4 litre tank? Are you a moron?

Honestly though I can't see how keeping one small fish or shrimp in a small tank is any different than keeping flowers in a vase filled with water. There are no rules against that!
Reply 34
Original post by Astonix
I should imagine a few people have knocked over their fish tanks after coming in late from a night out drinking, stumbling all over the place.

My fish is my best friend damnit when we drink we drink alone in my room watching reruns of Family Guy
Reply 35
Original post by pierpebble
My fish is my best friend damnit when we drink we drink alone in my room watching reruns of Family Guy

Can't decide if that's either adorable, or extremely sad. I think I'm leaning towards the latter :wink:
Reply 36
Original post by Astonix
Can't decide if that's either adorable, or extremely sad. I think I'm leaning towards the latter :wink:

It's probably sad, don't worry :frown:
Just do it anyway, we didn't even have an inspection all year (well only communal area, not our rooms). Only know of one person who got caught, but he had a ferret and was just told to get rid of it (it moved to a friends and lived in the empty bath, and ultimately ended up hanging itself on the plug chain....).
Original post by Boo!xx
ooh shneeky, what uni was this may i ask?

It was Hartpury in Gloucestershire, tbf there were spiders in the bathroom that were bigger than my hamster, so they couldnt really complain :eek:
I just think that is unfair - if you can have dead fish (on a plate), why can't you have alive fish?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending