The Student Room Group

Revising Blake (lit, A2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
rosie86uk
Could someone kindly put me straight on something as I'm a little bit pickled on what is what...?

Rousseau, John Locke, Swedenborg.
What did each one believe and what was Blake's opinion of their theories?

From what i've gathered Rousseau explored problems of his contemporary society and something relating to nature...
Swedenborg had a religious impression on Blake...as you can see i'm not entirely sure of anything so any help will be much appreciated.

Ok...
well swedenborg.. - a religious movement that blake follewed,(un unorthadox religious thinker) although swedneborg himself didnt ever attempt to set up his own church some of his followers did and blake attended sum of the inital meetings buy swedenborg in1772...
so wat did they believe in:
1. free love, and not being restriced(can be linked to romanticisim)
2. they rejected the idea of the holy trinity of god and saw jesus as the divine being
3. hated organised religion

ROSSEAU:
was one of blakes contemporarys and sum1 whos work blake looked up to:
aspects that they both believed in:
both saw the society men lived in as sepsrating man from nature
constraints society imposed on people = wrong ''mind forged manacles''
society led to the evils and greed of people(church ect)
wanted to help the poor, hated the social divde
not imposing children with belief and they would grow via self experiance ect...
all this is defined under the SOCIAL CONTRACT

t:smile: hey didnt however agree on..... rousseau disagrred with religious views and rejected its beliefs

this help at all?
Reply 381
helloimalex
we have never been set an essay on blake!

anyone got some key quotes?

hmmm my advice
go thru da main themes and pick out say 3 quotes from each and learn them in detail
eady13
Ok...
well swedenborg.. - a religious movement that blake follewed,(un unorthadox religious thinker) although swedneborg himself didnt ever attempt to set up his own church some of his followers did and blake attended sum of the inital meetings buy swedenborg in1772...
so wat did they believe in:
1. free love, and not being restriced(can be linked to romanticisim)
2. they rejected the idea of the holy trinity of god and saw jesus as the divine being
3. hated organised religion

ROSSEAU:
was one of blakes contemporarys and sum1 whos work blake looked up to:
aspects that they both believed in:
both saw the society men lived in as sepsrating man from nature
constraints society imposed on people = wrong ''mind forged manacles''
society led to the evils and greed of people(church ect)
wanted to help the poor, hated the social divde
not imposing children with belief and they would grow via self experiance ect...
all this is defined under the SOCIAL CONTRACT

t:smile: hey didnt however agree on..... rousseau disagrred with religious views and rejected its beliefs

this help at all?

Thanks a lot that's brilliant :smile: Don't suppose you know anything on John Locke do you?
Reply 383
How vital is context in this essay? I'm guessing it's pretty vital. And if you do have to put quite a lot of it in, how would you go about doing it?
yapster
It's slightly worrying that I've never been set an essay question on Blake. Does anyone have a few past exam questions that they can post here? I desperately need some practice!

''How does Blake expose corruption at the end of the 18th centuary in his songs of innocense and experience?''

I just did that one. It was last years question and quirte a good one, so ours are probably gonna be hard!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/englia_assess.html

You can find a ton of past questions there.
Reply 385
^ thanks for that... guess I better get down to it and actually start some productive revision.
Reply 386
Calum_Magatchu
''How does Blake expose corruption at the end of the 18th centuary in his songs of innocense and experience?''

I just did that one. It was last years question and quirte a good one, so ours are probably gonna be hard!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/englia_assess.html

You can find a ton of past questions there.

That link is really useful!
Thanks!!
Reply 387
Jan 03
17. How do Blake’s Songs reflect the period of political and social change through which he lived? How effectively does he use language and form to convey his views about these changes?
OR
18 What influence did Blake’s interest in the Old and New Testaments of the Bible have on his Songs?

June 03
17 Rousseau, whose writings Blake studied, argued that one of the principles that motivated human beings was a revulsion at seeing fellow human beings suffer and die.
How far do Blake’s Songs reflect this view of Rousseau in their themes and language?
OR
18 A contemporary who knew Blake described him as eccentric and wild, but not mad.
How far do Blake’s Songs confirm this view?

Jan 04
17 A French Romantic poet stated: “Romantic poetry springs from our agony and our despair.” Referring to relevant Songs, show how far this is true of Blake’s poetry.
OR
18 To what extent is it true that Blake’s revolutionary vision dominates his Songs?

June 04
17 Illustrate from Blake’s Songs the ways the poet shows that the people of his time were alienated from their natural selves and from society by political, economic and religious repression.
OR
18 Show how Blake in his Songs displays his indignation about the brain-washing and exploitation of children by people in power.

Jan 05
21 How does Blake present his views in the Songs on relationships between parents and children?
OR
22 How does Blake in his Songs present his vision of paradise on earth?

Jun 05
17 What impression do you receive from the Songs of Blake’s own religious beliefs?
In your answer, write about the themes, tone and style of not more than five poems.
OR
18 What features of subject matter and style have you found in the Songs to show that Blake may be described as a Romantic poet?

Jan 06
19 How is Blake’s personal religion reflected in his Songs of Innocence and of Experience?
OR
20 How are Blake’s Songs of Innocence and of Experience influenced by the spate of revolutions at the end of the eighteenth century?

Jun 06
15 How does Blake portray his ideal world in Songs of Innocence and of Experience?
OR
16 How does Blake expose corruption at the end of the eighteenth century in his Songs of
Innocence and of Experience?

Also thought it might be worth posting these past Qs up again. These are AQA btw!
Blake notes (these are some notes my teacher gave up - thought they might be useful)

Songs of Innocence 1789:
pastoral innocence and childhood
Songs of Experience 1794: adult corruption, sorrow and repression

In his lifetime, Blake had a few visions which could have influenced his songs:
1. at the age of 8, he saw a tree filled with angels (introduction to innocence?)
2. at the age of 15 he had a vision that Rylands (engraver) was going to be hanged from a tree and 12 years later it actually happened
3. when his brother Robert died, he saw his soul rise towards heaven clapping for joy (his view that life on earth was like a prison and death allowed freedom? - anyone correct me if im wrong but i think thats the neoplatonic view?)

In his art and poetry, the human world is often one of sorrow and of war, whilst the spiritual worls is interfused with energy and power

Blakes Religious Beliefs

1. Blake believed that the state and the church were instruments of repression and corruption

2. Blake was a radical but his work can seem at odds with his times. Where you might expect to find maps, globes and compasses, his work is full of biblical figures, serpents, trees and mythical gods

3. The visions Blake expresses in his poems appear to be full of religious devotion but are actually rebellious and subersive

4. Blake used his preoccupation with the Fall, the serpent, Adam and Eve to launch attaks on the corruption and hypocrisy of society

5. Like many 17th century revolutionaries, Blake rejected the official church with all its heirachies (sp) and institutions in favour of individual conscience or 'inner light'

6. Blake and his contemporaries were optimistic that humanity could be liberated from bondage and repression, not just in heaven but also on earth

7. He refused to accept that any bishop had the right to sit in judgement or punish anyone (the little vagabond-maybe). Some of his contemporaries even believed that sin was not all bad as it gave God the chance to do his favourite thing - forgiving people!

8. Blakes work reflects his belief that state religion was a trick and a source of cruelty

9. For Blake the temptation and the Fall are symbols of knowledge

ill put up more stuff later
Reply 389
Thanks for all this info! I know we have to know stuff about his influences, Romanticism etc but do we also have to know views of critics? I know that's a major point that we have to include in Measure for Measure.
No you don't need to know anything about critics for blake, just context, context, context.
And you don't need to know any context for your play.
How ready do you feel for this exam?
I don't feel extremely ready for this exam, but that's because I haven't really started revising for it yet. I also think that trying to be over-ready for the war synoptic may have stressed me out a little too much and maybe didn't help me all that much. So I'm going to chill...if Blake's philosophy is right, my natural instinct should take over, and reason and logic doesn't matter that much anyway - hurrah!
crankycaz
I don't feel extremely ready for this exam, but that's because I haven't really started revising for it yet. I also think that trying to be over-ready for the war synoptic may have stressed me out a little too much and maybe didn't help me all that much. So I'm going to chill...if Blake's philosophy is right, my natural instinct should take over, and reason and logic doesn't matter that much anyway - hurrah!

haha good one
I'm not sure how ready I am. Gonna hand a practice essay in on Thursday which should be an indicator.

How's everyone revising for this? I brought york notes and it's sooooooo crap, really dissapointing compared to the york notes for 'the winter's tale'. So instead I think tomorrow I'll go through the contents page, and write as much as I can for each poem and that will show which ones I need to do more on.
Reply 396
I'm so stupid - I've basically dossed this year and am now paying for it. The way I'm revising for it is familiarising myself with a number of poems from the Innocence and Experience sections with quotations to back up major themes. I would also recommend 'William Blake, The Poems' by Nicholas Marsh - much better than York notes. I'm just trying to learn about the context at the moment and then I'll do some practice questions. I'm much more worried about Measure for Measure now. I just know that I'll be really stressed out on the day because I'll have been in isolation which is never a good calming experience :frown:
Reply 397
oh my god, im so worried for this exam... does anyone have any thoughts on what might come up? i luv all you lot 4 these notes!! how has everyone revised for this paper?
Reply 398
hey, how are people finding blake? does anyone no where 2 get some example papers for the exam? i hope a question about the social and political context comes up.
lv Amy xxxx
Amy if you look around pg 19 or so someone posted a list of all of the AQA past exam titles. :smile:

Thanks for the rep little one. I make it all up really, I'm not as competent as I may sound! :biggrin:

Re rachyroo: I really don't know what's going to come up this year, I think Blake is nearing the end of its life on the syllabus, so I think they're running out of questions. Jut our luck, it'll probably be something really obscure. :s-smilie: Although I'd obviously like an easy title, part of me wants a wacky one which you can take in any different way you want. There was one: 'One critic called Blake a madman - how would his Songs of Innocence and Experience justify or negate this comment.' It was something like that. You could write about his visions, and all of his revolutionary ideas and stuff, but you can also argue that for a 'madman' he spoke a helluva lot of sense about politics and the church and exploitation etc. I would've found that essay found in a masochistic sort of way...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending