The Student Room Group

Teacher wouldn't let me do Biology? and let lower grade student do it?

Hey,
Today I had a call from college and they said to me that I am not allowed to do Biology because of my lack of interest in the subject and whereas they let my friend do the subject who got a B and I got an A (add science at gcse)... I am so frustrated and their decision is firm.

Subjects chosen at the moment are - A level - Business Studies, Ict, Graphics and Pe, so thats 4 A level subjects.
I am thinking of droping Graphics for LAW as it matched more with business and Ict. So is LAW A level well recognized by Uni's? or should I drop graphics and do Physiology, sociology?

I want to do a degree in computer science.
Our Sixth form don't do Computing unfortunately!! so I atleast need 1 science.

YOUR HELP WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want to do Computer Science then why on earth are you wanting to do Biology and not Physics?

*Also, do Maths. That's of course if you want to get in a good University. Further Maths if you want to get in the top.

**No offence, but your choice of subjects are all wrong... It should be; Maths, Physics and Chemistry (That's assuming you can't do Further Maths, Electronics).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Ironically, filing one complaint to the department is a demonstration of interest.
Reply 3
If you want to do a degree in computer science, you really should be doing Maths. Further Maths and Physics are also helpful, but you'll almost certainly need A-level maths skills to do any of the set theory, logic, probability and signals processing in CS. Not to mention to actually meet the prerequisites of most universities.
Reply 4
Original post by Thomas60

Original post by Thomas60
Ironically, filing one complaint to the department is a demonstration of interest.

They actually made everyone do a entry test! and I got 93%. Another boy in the class got 84% and got through!!!
I would complain but they said it in the interview that their decision is firm!!
I really love Biology though!!
I would have done Maths or physics but I am not really a Maths type of person.
Original post by sherry123
They actually made everyone do a entry test! and I got 93%. Another boy in the class got 84% and got through!!!
I would complain but they said it in the interview that their decision is firm!!

Complain anyway.

You'd be amazed how often firm decisions are anything but.
Op if want to do a CompSci degree you seriously need maths. If you don't have maths you basically don't get to do it. Physics and computing is preferable but not required.
Reply 7
You want to do a Computer Science degree, with Biology A level as your only science background? :/

Just about every subject you mentioned is of limited suitability really, especially in preparation for Computer Science.

Someone MUST have advised you to take Maths if you've expressed any interest in computer science - why don't you do that A level?

What about Physics?
Buisness Studies, Graphics, ICT and P.E, and they won't let you do Biology :frown:, that's a shame, because you'll probably need at least 1 real A-level.

That A-level should either be Maths or Physics btw, especially if your interested in doing Computer Science
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey,
Today I had a call from college and they said to me that I am not allowed to do Biology because of my lack of interest in the subject and whereas they let my friend do the subject who got a B and I got an A (add science at gcse)... I am so frustrated and their decision is firm.

Subjects chosen at the moment are - A level - Business Studies, Ict, Graphics and Pe, so thats 4 A level subjects.
I am thinking of droping Graphics for LAW as it matched more with business and Ict. So is LAW A level well recognized by Uni's? or should I drop graphics and do Physiology, sociology?

I want to do a degree in computer science.
Our Sixth form don't do Computing unfortunately!! so I atleast need 1 science.

YOUR HELP WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Any decent CS course will have a fair bit of mathematical content so you should at least take the a-level to prove yourself you have the mathematical ability to pursue the course. I personally don't find a lot of maths particularly interesting and many people doing CS/physics/engineering share my opinion, but the fact is its applications are essential to the courses so you need to at least be capable of doing it.

If you're intent on doing CS you really have no excuse not to take up maths a-level. Maths comes with practice so if you're not putting any effort in it's easy to come to the conclusion that you're just not a 'maths type of person'.

My 6th form didn't offer computing either, but that hardly matters and a ton of people on my course didn't do it either. I don't know what courses you've been researching, but I don't recall many universities simply specifying 'at least 1 science' as you put it.

You are getting 90%+ on sciences tests and are clearly keen on it.

Complain to get onto the course, or change college; go and speak to the head of the college and try and fix this.

Incidentally, you seem academically capable, don't do those subjects if you want to get into a good university.

Business Studies, ICT, PE, Law, Sociology and Physiology are almost worthless because they are so easy.

Graphics is a decent A-Level, so keep that one.
ICT is an easy subject, but it would be good to have if you want to do Comp. Sci.
Biology is a great one to have (physics might be better) - get it and maths.

If you get 4 A grade A-levels in Biology, Math, Graphics and ICT, you will probably be able to go to any university in the country. Particularly if you have good Personal statement/reference, and good (RELEVANT) extra curricular.
Reply 11

If you're not a Maths person, you're more than likely not a Computer Science person. What exactly do you think CS entails?

Also, Computing and Computer Science are two different subjects completely.
Original post by supercomputer
My 6th form didn't offer computing either, but that hardly matters and a ton of people on my course didn't do it either. I don't know what courses you've been researching, but I don't recall many universities simply specifying 'at least 1 science' as you put it.

Bradford does not need maths, and has pretty low entry requirements - I wouldn't have thought it would be accredited by the BCS if it was "easy" or anything but I have nothing to compare it to - the modules it has are listed here http://computing.brad.ac.uk/courses/ug/cs.php?m=1#m
Reply 13
Computer Science without Maths?

You're going for the wrong degree. Take a step back and think about what you actually want to do with yourself- do you reckon you'll actually be competent?
Yeah I dont know much abotu comp sci but surely u n eed maths/further maths nd physics instead of bio and PE
Maths is vital for computer science! Physics and Further Maths are also beneficial to have.

Meh, OP is possible troll.
I would rethink your A-level choices tbh. You need maths and physics. Choose any other third A-level.
If your not a maths person don't do computer science!

It's like saying: I don't like writing essays but i want to do law...wtffffffff
Why so hard on the OP TSRites? Yes, sure those A-level choices won't get you onto a CS course (at least at a top uni.) but then judging by those subjects the OP is probably more suited to an Information Systems or Business Computing degree. He could possibly even decide to go into computer graphics/multi-media if he chose to.

OP: I suggest you think about why you want to study computer science and what career you would like to do when you graduate. Then you can look at entry requirements for courses that would support that career choice. Also, choosing those 'softer' subjects will mean you are unlikely to get a place at a top uni. Are you OK with this?
Meh, the OP is just a troll :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest