The Student Room Group

the use of a movie in engineering personal statement

Hi there, well I'm going to do Mechanical Engineering and I'm writing my personal statement. So can I include the movie Transformer in my personal statement? Something like "i wonder how__________ when watching the movie Transformer" or something? Since I believe it is quite relevant in my case.

Or is it a downright stupid thing to do? :s-smilie:
Reply 1
It is good to put something slightly odd in the first paragraph to grab attention. I talked about boomerangs cos I was applying for aero engineering.
Yeah, I remember a guy talking about taking care of his pet lizard in his PS. Made him memorable apparently.
Reply 3
I said I liked Extreme Engineering on Discovery Channel. Only watched a few but some of the things they did was really clever.
Reply 4
So is it alright to assume that the admission tutors watched Transformer? Will they be like clueless when they came across the term transformer? Or maybe I should take another example instead.
:biggrin: Funniest thread ever.
Reply 6
I'd cast negative aspersions on anyone who'd watch and enjoy transformers.

Shia LeBeof is the new Robert DeNiro apparantly.
Original post by strategist

Original post by strategist
So is it alright to assume that the admission tutors watched Transformer? Will they be like clueless when they came across the term transformer? Or maybe I should take another example instead.

You mean Transformers, right?

I'd be a bit worried that by suggesting Transformers is a film you currently enjoy and find exciting, you're going to look a bit childish. There's also the problem that it's a work of fiction, so you didn't actually learn anything about engineering from it.

The problem is I don't associate Transformers with the 2007 film, I associate it with the playground craze surrounding the Transformers toys back in the 1990s. So, to me, mentioning Transformers seems about equivalent to mentioning Power Rangers or Pokemon.

BTW: as far as silly things in the opening paragraph go... I talked about Lego!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Now that I come to think of it yep it is childish indeed. Actually I want to talk about whether it is possible or something when people just oooh and gasped at the screen. But never mind I have just found another excellent example. Thread closed.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest