The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anybody else accepted a place at Brighton (and passed their fitness test) ?
Original post by laurajones24
It's a step test whilst holding weights and having your heart rate monitored. If your heart rate exceeds 90% of your predicted max then you fail and dońt get an interview at edge hill. Two out of 11 failed when I did the test last week

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1982
Original post by Alex27
I also have an offer from Oxford Brookes and so do some others. Have a look at this group on FB - http://www.facebook.com/groups/283003435091113/

You go in sports gear and then if you pass the fitness test you get changed into formal clothes. The fitness test isn't physically demanding but you dont have control over your heart rate so it can go either way. I dont do much fitness and found it quite easy. Dont worry about it. Just go in and do your best.
Reply 1983
Original post by Dan9878
well done mate, your name rings a bell, and we discussed tsr. Were you at swansea mid jan ?

I recognize you as i well Yeah i was, on the 16th. How were your rest
Reply 1984
Original post by Alex27
I also have an offer from Oxford Brookes and so do some others. Have a look at this group on FB - http://www.facebook.com/groups/283003435091113/

When was your Oxford Brookes interview? Still waiting to hear back from the 6th of Feb, fed up of refreshing my emails every 15 mins :P
Reply 1985
Original post by saulie10
I recognize you as i well Yeah i was, on the 16th. How were your rest

The rest went well I think. Got rejected by Greenwich Medway, but after seeing the place and being there a day i'm not bothered. Plym went well. Hoping I will get an offer from them. How have yours gone?
Reply 1986
Original post by mattmullan
its just a step test with weights- its a really basic fitness test
main thing is to try and keep calm to prevent your heart rate from going over 90% of your max
9/11 from my session passed it but they belive usually 50% wont pass it.
best of luck and just stay relaxed

how long are you expected to do the steps for? And is it at a fast pace?
Reply 1987
Original post by Gemcas
Anyone got an interview for Sheffield Hallam? Mines next Monday and am sooo worried about this Ambulance Den. Anyone know where to start with the 4 minute speech??

Helo I have the the interview at Sheffield Hallam tommorrow, also a tad worried about this den thing. 4 minutes will either fly by or go very slow.
I'm at Edge Hill this Tuesday - seriously worried about the fitness test! What is the hardest bit?
Original post by Rooney24
how long are you expected to do the steps for? And is it at a fast pace?

well first you start on a 30cm step for up to ten minutes with the pace increasing every so often- it does get pretty quick (the guy running it said like a samba pace) however this is only a warm up to get our heart to 80%

then 2 minutes rest

then you do the 30cm step again with a 10kg weight at a slow pace for about 4/5 mins
then straight into hands only cpr for 2 mins
finally you go up a 15cm step then onto the 30cm and back down both withtwo 15kg weights
throughout your heart rate will be monitored and if it exceeds 90% you fail.

wish you the best of luck
Original post by Chrisryan21
Hi there

I have a interview for Edge Hill and im wondering if those that have already been can give me a idea what questions they are asking this year, any tips you may have ?

many thanks

not meaning to sound rude but i dont believe anyone will (or even should) answer this question for you.
well done to those who have managed to get an interview but i believe you should not reduce our chances of gaining enterance by giving others an unfair advantage,
best of luck in your interview preparation and I cant blame you for trying to better your chances:smile:
Hi,

I have an invitation to a selection day at Worcester University next month for the pre hospital, unscheduled and emergency care course.

My background is maybe slightly different to what some of the other students may have who have applied as well. I have not studied full time since 2007 since I gained a BTEC National Diploma in Public Services but since then I have worked as a lifeguard in a busy leisure centre for just over 2 years and for the last 2 years, I have worked as a support worker in a hospital operating theatre. I feel that my experiences gained in my current job have helped me greatly in my application and I hopefully am right in thinking that this will benefit me at Worcester?

I have been exposed to many things at work including surgical emergencies, cardiac arrests, organ harvests ( so subsequently, dead people) and a great deal of human anatomy. I feel I have the social attributes for the job and I feel that I would be good at it. The only thing that is worrying me is the academic strength. I have been working on my maths in preparation for the day and have been reading up on human biology etc. I do not possess any a levels, only my BTEC but I feel I learn quickly in this area and am always learning practically at work. I have also done a lot of prepartion for the written essay in terms of my care experience and translating it into a written piece of work. I have also been researching issues in the ambulance service at the moment such as the way in which staff are trained and the impact that cost cutting intiatives are having on operational service.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone,

This is a quick post to remind you of the interview discussion rules on TSR.

You are not allowed to discuss specific aspects of your interviews. This includes mentioning the things you were asked to talk about, how you were assessed (ie: in a group or individually) or any other information that may benefit someone who is yet to have an interview.

The reason we operate this policy is for your own benefit rather than us just trying to be annoying. TSR is the largest student website in the world and the majority of people who are currently applying to university use the site. This is great to see HOWEVER it also means that through discussing specific interview experiences you might end up giving details away to someone who hasn't yet been interviewed which will give them an advantage so they may well end up getting a place over you which isn't good. TSR is a fantastic resource and I encourage you to continue seeking support here for your applications but please do be aware of the impact of what you're writing. The mod team are regularly contacted by universities with requests to remove specific content and universities do also check out applicant threads to monitor applicant discussion. There have been instances where students have lost offers as a consequence of posts they have made on TSR if the post goes against a contract/agreement that was signed at interview.

For more information about TSR interview discussion rules see here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=71&a=774
Original post by mattmullan
well first you start on a 30cm step for up to ten minutes with the pace increasing every so often- it does get pretty quick (the guy running it said like a samba pace) however this is only a warm up to get our heart to 80%

then 2 minutes rest

then you do the 30cm step again with a 10kg weight at a slow pace for about 4/5 mins
then straight into hands only cpr for 2 mins
finally you go up a 15cm step then onto the 30cm and back down both withtwo 15kg weights
throughout your heart rate will be monitored and if it exceeds 90% you fail.

wish you the best of luck

So why do you need to do a warm up to ger your heart rate up to 80%?

Surely it would be better to have that as the real thing.. seems pointless ?
Good luck to everyone at Edge Hill tomorrow and see you there :smile:
Has anyone heard anything from Bournemouth? I haven't had an unsuccesful or interview offer ?
Starting to get worried now ! x
Original post by oxymoronic
Hi everyone,

This is a quick post to remind you of the interview discussion rules on TSR.

You are not allowed to discuss specific aspects of your interviews. This includes mentioning the things you were asked to talk about, how you were assessed (ie: in a group or individually) or any other information that may benefit someone who is yet to have an interview.

The reason we operate this policy is for your own benefit rather than us just trying to be annoying. TSR is the largest student website in the world and the majority of people who are currently applying to university use the site. This is great to see HOWEVER it also means that through discussing specific interview experiences you might end up giving details away to someone who hasn't yet been interviewed which will give them an advantage so they may well end up getting a place over you which isn't good. TSR is a fantastic resource and I encourage you to continue seeking support here for your applications but please do be aware of the impact of what you're writing. The mod team are regularly contacted by universities with requests to remove specific content and universities do also check out applicant threads to monitor applicant discussion. There have been instances where students have lost offers as a consequence of posts they have made on TSR if the post goes against a contract/agreement that was signed at interview.

For more information about TSR interview discussion rules see here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=71&a=774

Just a quick thing oxy. I don't know about other courses. But on paramedic interviews you're told in the interview letters whether it is an individual or group interview or practical tests so if people have an interview offer they will know this anyway.

But I agree questions about what comes up shouldn't be asked.
Original post by BrookeGillian
Has anyone heard anything from Bournemouth? I haven't had an unsuccesful or interview offer ?
Starting to get worried now ! x

Had an interview end of January but not heard anything since. They said we'd find out by April
Reply 1998
Original post by Tom_chap
Helo I have the the interview at Sheffield Hallam tommorrow, also a tad worried about this den thing. 4 minutes will either fly by or go very slow.

I believe today was the last set of interviews for Sheffield Hallam. How did you feel after the intense 3 hrs? haha. Did they tell you when you would hear back? I was told first two weeks in March:smile:
Reply 1999
Original post by Happy_Holidays
Just a quick thing oxy. I don't know about other courses. But on paramedic interviews you're told in the interview letters whether it is an individual or group interview or practical tests so if people have an interview offer they will know this anyway.

But I agree questions about what comes up shouldn't be asked.

Not true. Swansea didn't tell us what to expect. Certainly the first lot as we were all in for a surprise.

Latest