The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got my place at Staffs! :-D

Got the call yesterday, can't believe it!
Original post by Happy_Holidays
You can't 'top-up' to paramedic.

Actually, you can. If you hold a relevant degree and it is a 2:1 at the least, after having gained 6 months clinical experience and then undertaking an ambulance short course you can join the 2nd year at st.georges. Says it all on their website, graduate entry.
Original post by Daver87
Hey all, has anyone had an offer from Bournemouth uni yet for paramedic science? i currently work for the ambulance service and have applied for 2012 entry but am so nervous that i'll get a no!

Heya, I've been given an offer :smile: just going through CRB and occy health stuff. When did you have your interview
Reply 3163
If you have a choice of unis pick the one you live near or want to work for as most of jobs that come up are internal so you have a much better chance of getting a job at the end of the course.
I've had an epic turn around and am now going to apply for mental health nursing! Its my second greatest interest, so if I get a place, after I have completed my degree I shall in the future go on to be a paramedic :smile:
Good luck to everyone whos starting para sci in september, and for those who haven't got in like me why don't you consider nursing to get you on the ladder! Much more opportunity here too I have realised. My sister is a nurse and she has already worked in A&E and now a sexual health clinic.

anyways peace and I hope everyone gets to where they want to be!!
Reply 3165
https://www.facebook.com/groups/318790904850239/ <-- for anyone who has 'firmed' Greenwich Avery Hill :smile:
Reply 3166
http://www.facebook.com/groups/101758596622531/ Facebook group for all those going to St Georges!
Original post by bluelightz
I've had an epic turn around and am now going to apply for mental health nursing! Its my second greatest interest, so if I get a place, after I have completed my degree I shall in the future go on to be a paramedic :smile:
Good luck to everyone whos starting para sci in september, and for those who haven't got in like me why don't you consider nursing to get you on the ladder! Much more opportunity here too I have realised. My sister is a nurse and she has already worked in A&E and now a sexual health clinic.

Good Luck! Hope it all goes well for you. :smile:
Thanks!! Well I was Hoping to, may just reapply for 2013 intake of para sci. Doubt the waiting list will come of anything though, although it'd be good if it did
Original post by bluelightz

Nursing is not an easy way in and given that employee student routes are going to be less and less common it's also going to be financial issue ...
Reply 3170
The number of applicants per place for a nursing degree is far less than para/midwifery.
nursing is alot easier to get into than paramedic prac/science. a friend of mine got a place on a nursing course (which he isn't going to take anymore) just from having 2 months care experience. If i didn't wanna be a paramedic soooo bad I would apply to be a nurse. Paramedic courses are definitely more competitive
Thanks Mark :smile:
Yep, paramedics courses are ridiculously competitive!
ZippyRN: My sisters a nurse, so I understand it is not the easier route, however my second greatest interest is mental health and the brain so mental healtrh nursing is a profession I would seriously consider if I didn't do paramedic science.

For now though, I'm going to carry on with my new care job to get some experience, and re-apply for 2013. Today is the last day of college!! So a year out sounds good to me as I haven't had one yet (did AS levels for a year before college.)

Take it easy people!
Reply 3173
Original post by xxstephxx
nursing is alot easier to get into than paramedic prac/science. a friend of mine got a place on a nursing course (which he isn't going to take anymore) just from having 2 months care experience. If i didn't wanna be a paramedic soooo bad I would apply to be a nurse. Paramedic courses are definitely more competitive

Have you any luck in UCAS Extra Steph?
Original post by f0rbesy
Have you any luck in UCAS Extra Steph?

not with Bournemouth, have applied to Surrey and they haven't made a decision yet, so still waiting to hear from them and BCU. I think I will keep trying right up til September then re-apply for 2013. What about you?
Reply 3175
Original post by xxstephxx
not with Bournemouth, have applied to Surrey and they haven't made a decision yet, so still waiting to hear from them and BCU. I think I will keep trying right up til September then re-apply for 2013. What about you?

Been over a month and a half waiting for Bournemouth and heard nothing, when I rang they were like could be up too June before they short list! I knew Surrey were short listing so applied there last week, rang them today and they are still processing my application which is more news then I ever got from Bournemouth lol
I'm pretty much doing the same thing! Also really want to end up in the raf, either after I've trained as a paramedic, or through the raf medic role! Which ever comes first!
Still had no news from bcu, last I heard they were wanting to send interview invitations out late may early June! Not long now!
Good luck!
Original post by f0rbesy
Been over a month and a half waiting for Bournemouth and heard nothing, when I rang they were like could be up too June before they short list! I knew Surrey were short listing so applied there last week, rang them today and they are still processing my application which is more news then I ever got from Bournemouth lol
I'm pretty much doing the same thing! Also really want to end up in the raf, either after I've trained as a paramedic, or through the raf medic role! Which ever comes first!
Still had no news from bcu, last I heard they were wanting to send interview invitations out late may early June! Not long now!
Good luck!

thankyou, Bournemouth rejected me within like a day! ha. so they probably liked u :P good luck hope u get where u wana be!
Reply 3177
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/114371192020300/ <---------------------- For anyone who has firmed Surrey.
Has anybody had an offer from St Georges and not taking it?
Reply 3179
Is anyone going to plymouth to study to be a paramedic? I am and was told its better to get a shared house rather than go into halls because of needing a car to get to and from placements and was just wondering what other people were thinking of doing?
xx

Latest