The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Sid23
Thanks! Congrats to you too, you're just one day after me! :smile: Have you done your undergrad or are you applying from high school?

Thanks. :smile: No, I'm a grade 12 student. What about you?
Reply 921
I received a letter from Liverpool in the post today about International Fees and Scholarships but I am not an International student. Is it only me or did any other home students receive it???
Reply 922
Original post by planetconwy1
Feel free

Thank you. :biggrin:
malika774
x

Heads up on some details and changes.

How early does patient contact occur?

Whilst technically, your first patient contact is in first year, this is really not a "patient" that you see. So from a personal point of view it's second year. If, however you get asked the course structure, mention the clinical contact in first year.

Are you placed in a district hospital or central teaching hospital?

2nd years are placed in one of 4 teaching hospitals: Arrowe Park (Wirral), Aintree, RLUH, Whiston.

3rd years attend the above hospitals amongst others for speciality rotations: Southport, Alder Hey (very famous and prestigious hospital), Liverpool Women's (one of the best in Europe).

4th years choose and are allocated the 4 hospitals listed above for 2nd years and: Southport & Ormskirk, Chester, Blackpool, Warrington.

For the elective, do you have to go abroad or is that just optional?

No. You can stay here or go to viable abroad options. The elective is no longer after 3rd year. It is now after finals i.e. after 4th year.

What are the student selected components that are offered?

4 SSMs involve literature reviews and research. This is subject to change. You can choose topics from a list for your first 3 and choose to design your own for number 4.

And how are clinical skills covered?

You get amazing clinical teaching in year 1. In fact the governing body, the GMC, thinks the clinical exams are too hard! They've made modest changes to accommodate that though. You learn speciality clinical examinations throughout 2nd-4th years. This is done in hospitals with doctors so teaching quality varies in this time. It is up to you (the student) to make sure you have the relevant stuff done and signed off.

Most of the stuff planetconwy said was right. I've just detailed a little more and updated some things.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kyalimers

Most of the stuff planetconwy said was right. I've just detailed a little more and updated some things.

I had heard it was just 4 SSM's we do now, although it used to be 6 right?

Have you got Formative Exams at the Moment? I have my Clin Skills OSCE on Tuesday afternoon, not looking forward to it at all!:s-smilie:
I had heard it was just 4 SSM's we do now, although it used to be 6 right?

Have you got Formative Exams at the Moment? I have my Clin Skills OSCE on Tuesday afternoon, not looking forward to it at all!:s-smilie:

Indeed it was 6. Waste of time they are really so glad they've cut them down.

As for formatives, good luck! Wash your hands, introduce yourself, gain pt information and consent and then smile (when appropriate :tongue:) and hope for the best! It's a really useful learning experience so don't panic if things go wrong. Better now than summatives.
Reply 926
Original post by Kyalimers
How early does patient contact occur?

Whilst technically, your first patient contact is in first year, this is really not a "patient" that you see. So from a personal point of view it's second year. If, however you get asked the course structure, mention the clinical contact in first year.

Are you placed in a district hospital or central teaching hospital?

2nd years are placed in one of 4 teaching hospitals: Arrowe Park (Wirral), Aintree, RLUH, Whiston.

3rd years attend the above hospitals amongst others for speciality rotations: Southport, Alder Hey (very famous and prestigious hospital), Liverpool Women's (one of the best in Europe).

4th years choose and are allocated the 4 hospitals listed above for 2nd years and: Southport & Ormskirk, Chester, Blackpool, Warrington.

For the elective, do you have to go abroad or is that just optional?

No. You can stay here or go to viable abroad options. The elective is no longer after 3rd year. It is now after finals i.e. after 4th year.

What are the student selected components that are offered?

4 SSMs involve literature reviews and research. This is subject to change. You can choose topics from a list for your first 3 and choose to design your own for number 4.

And how are clinical skills covered?

You get amazing clinical teaching in year 1. In fact the governing body, the GMC, thinks the clinical exams are too hard! They've made modest changes to accommodate that though. You learn speciality clinical examinations throughout 2nd-4th years. This is done in hospitals with doctors so teaching quality varies in this time. It is up to you (the student) to make sure you have the relevant stuff done and signed off.

Wow, thanks for all the help! :eek: i really appreciate it. :smile:
It's nice that they moved the elective to after finals. I also like how there's only 4 SSMs now.

Thanks again, it'll help a lot with my interview. :smile:
Reply 927
Anyone knows how many internationals will be interviewed this year? Is it still 24 spots for internationals?
hi im in year 13 im not a retake, i still havent heard from them. Do you think they might give me an interview?
Reply 929
Original post by PENGUINS PENGUINS
hi im in year 13 im not a retake, i still havent heard from them. Do you think they might give me an interview?

Erm we couldn't possibly tell you whether we think they would give you an interview. Liverpool have thousands of applicants with straight A*/As at GCSE and AAA predicted to sift through. Personal statement also plays a massive part in selection for interview. If the admissions tutor feels your application is competitive enough, then you will receive an interview. Until then all you can do is wait for their decision :smile:
Reply 930
Original post by Nnuunnuu
I received a letter from Liverpool in the post today about International Fees and Scholarships but I am not an International student. Is it only me or did any other home students receive it???

can you let me know please if u've received such a letter?
Reply 931
can you let me know please if u've received such a letter?

I haven't received any letter like that :s-smilie:
Reply 932
Original post by myyrh
I haven't received any letter like that :s-smilie:

I haven't either and I'm an international applicant. It'd be really helpful to get that information. =\
Reply 933
Original post by malika774
I haven't either and I'm an international applicant. It'd be really helpful to get that information. =\

it probably takes time in the post or something because u don't live in the uk, so u'll probably get it sometime next week ..
I will need to call them tomorrow and make sure they know I'm not an international student :/
it probably takes time in the post or something because u don't live in the uk, so u'll probably get it sometime next week ..
I will need to call them tomorrow and make sure they know I'm not an international student :/

fee status forums come in later for international students (and they come via email). Thats when i got mine last year.

edit: mine came in after my interview last year
Reply 935
Original post by excalibere
fee status forums come in later for international students (and they come via email). Thats when i got mine last year.

edit: mine came in after my interview last year

How long after the interview, and where did you interview? Thanks!
Original post by Kaylain
How long after the interview, and where did you interview? Thanks!

it came like a week after interview via email, and this was last year in March (had my feb interview moved)
Reply 937
Has any other international applicant not gotten a letter yet, because I'm still waiting for something :confused:
Reply 938
Original post by excalibere
it came like a week after interview via email, and this was last year in March (had my feb interview moved)

Are you in Liverpool? How are you enjoying the course? Did the fee status forms come with the offer letter, or was it separate? Thank you in advance for indulging in the endless questions...pretty nerve wrecking times!
Reply 939
Original post by bonkyky
Has any other international applicant not gotten a letter yet, because I'm still waiting for something :confused:

If you have not received an interview yet, or a rejection, you've still got opportunity :wink: There are a lot of fellow Canadians here applying as well it seems :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending