How long does it take to learn Java? Watch

andy94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
For someone with basic IT skills but no knowledge of programming whatsoever, how long (in hours please) would it take to learn enough programming and java to code android apps?
MangoFreak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Like anything, it depends on the person learning. If you're able to get programming concepts easily, then you should get there fairly smoothly in a good amount of time.
lubus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://developer.android.com/guide/b...s-android.html

Personally I would suggest you first learn the basics of Object-orientate programming , and then begin specifically coding for android. Also, why not use flash to create your app? Flash can be run on android... so depending on what you want to achieve it might do the job, especially if its a game of some sort

Edit: Apparently I cant read.
RipperRoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lubus)
http://developer.android.com/guide/b...s-android.html

It uses C/C++ libraries, so i dont think you can code it in java?

Personally I would suggest you first learn the basics of Object-orientate programming , and then begin specifically coding for android. Also, why not use flash to create your app? Flash can be run on android... so depending on what you want to achieve it might do the job, especially if its a game of some sort
Read the second sentence of the link you posted: "The Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using the Java programming language."
lubus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JackWoot)
Read the second sentence of the link you posted: "The Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using the Java programming language."
Ive taken to skimming through most of the stuff i read. xD

Edit: Typo
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends, you can't put an hour-figure on it. It takes months to years to become a strong programmer from scratch, but if you're focused I expect you can learn how to create some decent Android apps in around 3-6 months.
FallenProject
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Learn Visual Basic. It's a very easy language to learn, and from that you'll grasp the underlying principles of programming and be able to learn Java a lot easier.
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How long to learn to code: depends what you mean by learn.

However, on a much more practical note, Stanford have released videos of their introductory programming course on iTunes University for free, and they teach Java excellently in this. It's lectured by Mehran Sahami, one of the big dogs at Google and an outstanding lecturer. Search for CS106A on itunes, author is probably the Stanford Engineering Department. The entire course is on there, and the course materials and IDE are available from the Stanford CS website.
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Android tutorials on developer.android.com are pretty decent. You should be able to get started with them without having a grasp of Java beforehand.
Astridax
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah and if you want a nice game engine to use look at ANDEngine. The one thing that is holding my coding back is access problems between classes, I'm hoping a degree will teach OOP design, I. E The design patterns such as factory method, decorator, model view controller etc. Since knowing how to apply them can be quite difficult, one thing I've learned is mvc does not work for games however hard you try.
noobynoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why don't you just go to the java website, download the developer kit, and give it a go. I'm sure if you had a free weekend you could get something to work.

However, I wouldn't advise anyone to learn programming. It can suck you in and drain hours of your life away. Before you know it your working in a software house with a load of social retards swearing at computer monitors for 12 hours a day on poor pay and forced overtime.

Imagine what Bill Gates would be like if instead of programming, he got some contact lenses, went down the gym and got a job in a café. Yeah, he wouldn't be rich. But he might get himself a fitter girlfriend and people might like him.
ItachiUchiha
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Java is easy you can master it within 48 hours?
What do you plan on doing with it?
Lucid Reality
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
262 days
Cexy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FallenProject)
Learn Visual Basic. It's a very easy language to learn, and from that you'll grasp the underlying principles of programming and be able to learn Java a lot easier.
Please, for the love of god, do not do this.

Using Visual Basic kills brain cells.

You will make your life much more difficult when you want to learn a real programming language in the future.

Seriously, the only possibly outcome from you learning Visual Basic is that you will be a worse programmer than when you started.

If you want to pick up a simple language and start writing useful programs TODAY, then learn Python. Most modern computers come with a python distro already installed, and if not you can get it free from http://www.python.org/download/. It is damn easy to learn, more powerful than most other languages (including Java) and, along with Javascript and Ruby, it will become the dominant language of web development in the future.

Edit: FYI, Javascript has nothing to do with Java, please don't think that learning one will teach you anything about the other.
bordercollies10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by andy94)
For someone with basic IT skills but no knowledge of programming whatsoever, how long (in hours please) would it take to learn enough programming and java to code android apps?
It kind of depends on how you think , at school were you good at subjects like Maths that involve figuring out a way in which to tackle and solve a problem? Try your hand at a simple program that displays a message, Hello World is the classic one but it can say anything you want and it makes for a great introduction to software development!
A software development course at night school/college may be of avail but most use Event-Driven languages like (Visual)BASIC, Java is an object orientated programming language which is built up from a base class introducing inheritance for the sub classes(like building blocks almost!) etc... you will get the hang of it though
There are many great introductory books out there you can read as well on programming in Java, they may be worth a read Bear in mind, Java is also used to write software for Symbian OS mobile phones as well as for the Windows operating system itself(which was written in C) and there is a type of web applet that uses Java as well, it's almost like Flash
Good luck!
A-K-J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im currently trying to learn java through youtube tutorials.

Google 'TheNewBoston'

He has loads of tutorials for java and also other languages.
Alevelstudent123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by andy94)
It took us, as in the app dev room team around 1 month in uni. Java is one of the easiest languages to learn after PHP, in fact, PHP is one of the easiest web programming languages and Java is extrmemely similar.
kingkongjaffa
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cexy)
Please, for the love of god, do not do this.

Using Visual Basic kills brain cells.

You will make your life much more difficult when you want to learn a real programming language in the future.

Seriously, the only possibly outcome from you learning Visual Basic is that you will be a worse programmer than when you started.

If you want to pick up a simple language and start writing useful programs TODAY, then learn Python. Most modern computers come with a python distro already installed, and if not you can get it free from http://www.python.org/download/. It is damn easy to learn, more powerful than most other languages (including Java) and, along with Javascript and Ruby, it will become the dominant language of web development in the future.

Edit: FYI, Javascript has nothing to do with Java, please don't think that learning one will teach you anything about the other.
why do you hate VB?
I just started learning Java and knowing a bit of VB has helped me know what to look for in general in terms of how syntax works and thing?

also on average how many languages does a decent software developer know ?
Cexy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kingkongjaffa)
why do you hate VB?
I just started learning Java and knowing a bit of VB has helped me know what to look for in general in terms of how syntax works and thing?

also on average how many languages does a decent software developer know ?
I don't hate VB, I just think it's a terribly designed, clunky programming language that impedes your ability to think about code in a useful or insightful way, largely because it forces you into an unnecessarily strict object-oriented paradigm (Java isn't much better in this respect).

I don't know how many languages a 'decent' software developer knows. I personally know four languages pretty well (Java, Python, R, q/kdb+) and two well enough to code in (C, Lisp... and I guess by extension Scheme, Clojure etc) but I wouldn't really describe myself as a software developer - I just happen to code at work.
kingkongjaffa
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cexy)
I don't hate VB, I just think it's a terribly designed, clunky programming language that impedes your ability to think about code in a useful or insightful way, largely because it forces you into an unnecessarily strict object-oriented paradigm (Java isn't much better in this respect).

I don't know how many languages a 'decent' software developer knows. I personally know four languages pretty well (Java, Python, R, q/kdb+) and two well enough to code in (C, Lisp... and I guess by extension Scheme, Clojure etc) but I wouldn't really describe myself as a software developer - I just happen to code at work.
Thanks for the reply, perhaps you could answer me this then ,
aside from Visual Basic, and Java what Languages would be good to learn for the future.

Also what do you think of developing Android apps in Java?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%