The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by harrietj
I am a student and will be applying for university this September. For several years I have always had an ambition of becoming a Nurse. This ambition led me to carry out work experience on an elderly patient ward last year which I really enjoyed. Since then, I have joined St John Ambulance as a first aider and have also carried out work experience in a minor injuries unit (MIU). I still have a massive passion for Nursing, but also have my mind set on becoming a paramedic. I am now VERY unsure as to whether to apply for nursing, paramedical science or BOTH?

I need advice and opinions...help.:confused:

I guess it depends on the type of job you want and the kind of care you want to provide. Being a paramedic could be more exciting, one could argue, and you're on the front lines.
As a nurse you're more likely to get to know patients and, well nurse them back to health.
Reply 21
Original post by Nut.
I guess it depends on the type of job you want and the kind of care you want to provide. Being a paramedic could be more exciting, one could argue, and you're on the front lines.
As a nurse you're more likely to get to know patients and, well nurse them back to health.

or keep treating patients who are 90 years old with multi organ failure <3. ethics.
Reply 22
Original post by Hito
or keep treating patients who are 90 years old with multi organ failure &lt;3. ethics.

Yeah that too. Or be a MH nurse and try to keep people like me on an even keel.
Man that must be tough sometimes, I have massive respect for the entire profession.
I am a student and will be applying for university this September. For several years I have always had an ambition of becoming a Nurse. This ambition led me to carry out work experience on an elderly patient ward last year which I really enjoyed. Since then, I have joined St John Ambulance as a first aider and have also carried out work experience in a minor injuries unit (MIU). I still have a massive passion for Nursing, but also have my mind set on becoming a paramedic. I am now VERY unsure as to whether to apply for nursing, paramedical science or BOTH?

Nurses do often work without doctors help. In my opinion there is also far much more opportunity for career progression in nursing, and there is a wider variety of job opportunities, it's partly why I chose nursing over paramedical science.
Reply 24
Original post by Nut.
Yeah that too. Or be a MH nurse and try to keep people like me on an even keel.
Man that must be tough sometimes, I have massive respect for the entire profession.

I mostly see the former. (giving treatment when not beneficial).
Reply 25
Original post by Hito
I mostly see the former. (giving treatment when not beneficial).

Even if the medicines/ interventions aren't working though, it must be nice for the patient to have a person there with them who understands what is happening and empathises etc. Would make all the world of difference to me, I imagine, just to know that somebody cared.
Reply 26
Original post by Nut.
Even if the medicines/ interventions aren't working though, it must be nice for the patient to have a person there with them who understands what is happening and empathises etc. Would make all the world of difference to me, I imagine, just to know that somebody cared.

My patients are usually sedated and paralysed.
Surely they know somebody is there on a certain level...but unsure how much they know. I care, but my patients hardly ever know :-).
Original post by Hito
Surely they know somebody is there on a certain level...but unsure how much they know. I care, but my patients hardly ever know :-).

Depends where you work :smile: Some places patients really do appreciate your efforts :tongue:
DISAGREE! You cannot get a job if there are NO jobs?!?! Just because you're a top Nurse and known for it the NHS aren't just going to pluck up a job for you - realistically.

There are tons of nursing jobs...

I'm applying now and am certainly not having major problems...
Reply 29
Original post by Subcutaneous
There are tons of nursing jobs...

I'm applying now and am certainly not having major problems...

Haha yeah true - BUT, now let me argue that It does depend where you live. I live in a very rural area where there are no big cities etc. But congrats on your job searching :-)
Haha yeah true - BUT, now let me argue that It does depend where you live. I live in a very rural area where there are no big cities etc. But congrats on your job searching :-)

actually there are loads of jobs in cornwall too...

Hi, I'm also having this problem. I actually just posted a similar thread except it focused more on PS and I posted it in the wrong section because I'm a newb lol.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has ever applied and been accepted for either paramedic or nursing when they applied for both courses. If they have I would love to know some tips of their's on writing a PS for both.
Reply 32
Original post by KingGoonIan
Hi, I'm also having this problem. I actually just posted a similar thread except it focused more on PS and I posted it in the wrong section because I'm a newb lol.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has ever applied and been accepted for either paramedic or nursing when they applied for both courses. If they have I would love to know some tips of their's on writing a PS for both.

I have considered writing a personal statement based on both nursing and paramedic science. I came to the conclusion that it's a bit risky and that it's just come to the time where we need to make our decision! For paramedic science I guess we'd need to consider writing about the emergency services etc whereas with nursing it's more about the empathy and caring side..?
Reply 33

I think you'd be very lucky if you found a person that had applied and received offers for both Nursing and Paramedic Science for the same year. I agree with Harriet, I think it's way too risky to apply to both courses at the same time - I also imagine it would get very confusing when it comes to interviews, that's if you manage to one. :P
I've decided that I'll do nursing now and writing my PS is going quite well :smile:
Reply 35
I've decided that I'll do nursing now and writing my PS is going quite well :smile:

Adult or Child Nursing? Why have you come to this decision? Which uni are you thinking of? I think I've going with Paramedic Science..
Adult or Child Nursing? Why have you come to this decision? Which uni are you thinking of? I think I've going with Paramedic Science..

It's not a sudden decision, the question has been on my mind for the best part of 2 years it's for many reasons but I think I'll try for Surrey. I've given first aid support for their nightclub a few times with their LINKS division and the campus is awesome!
Reply 37
I have considered writing a personal statement based on both nursing and paramedic science. I came to the conclusion that it's a bit risky and that it's just come to the time where we need to make our decision! For paramedic science I guess we'd need to consider writing about the emergency services etc whereas with nursing it's more about the empathy and caring side..?

You have to be caring for paramedic as well :P you spend a lot of time with patients and most of them aren't 'big sick'. I didn't write anything about the emergency services in my PS. Just what skills I had, how I got them and how they are relevant to this course/job. Along with work experience and an experience I had near the time where my friend went unconcious (hypoglacemia) and I had to act.
Reply 38
You should go for nursing as even when qualified your in service training allows you to learn even more
Why don't you consider the role of nurse practitioner where you will do more training post grad and prescribe any drug in the BNF
If you become a practitioner in a hotel or factory scenario there will be no doctor so you will find this exciting and always different
Catherine retired nurse practitioner and counsellor in oncology and bereavement
Reply 39
Original post by Hito

As you know hearing is the last sense to go so most of your patients do know you are there
Also you can be there for their relatives
I am retired now but often I found that the relatives needed more help than the patient
You are doing a great job always remember that

Latest