Never been on holiday...depressed as $%"$

Watch
FrozenBeak
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Me or my family don't even have passports and they have no intentions on getting a passport. I'm 18 and I haven't left England once. The only holiday I've been on is within England. I've never been abroad to a hot country or anything whereas all of my friends go at least twice a year on holiday.

This is not freakin fair...why are my parents so dumb in the head to not even go on holiday. I'm sure they have money, but they say they don't. When I speak to my friends, they always share their holiday stories and when I check facebook, you always see people saying "Holiday soon" "Holiday booked" "Relaxing in spain" but me..I'm doing nothing. It's not fair....

I feel like I'm not worthy... :\
faber niger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not to worry. You can go with friends or on your own now, you're 18 and can apply for your own passport. Maybe you could visit France on the Eurostar.
NapoleonDynamite
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hot holidays get annoying, 2 weeks in 40 degrees ugh ><
FrozenBeak
Rep:
?
I'm hoping to go on holiday next year with a friend, but he's not even certain he's gonna go. I wish I could look forward to it, but right now I'm can't look forward to anything..so depressing :\
FrozenBeak
Rep:
?
feel sick everytime I see/hear someone is going on holiday :'(
TheBritishBloke
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I get a lot more holiday's than other people.. 10 a year to be precise, where I go to mainland Europe [Mainly Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy].. But that's to see my Father, then I visit places with my Father as our way of catching up with each other.

You're 18, you can get a passport, fly to Spain for a week for under £250 easily.
daisydaffodil
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I haven't left Aberdeen since September last year fun times. Well - that's a mild lie but if we're being entirely honest I haven't travelled futher than Fraserburgh or Aberdeen since September. I've got no chance or plans to go abroad in the next 3/4 years as well - I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can have some great holidays in the UK - and there's bound to be an opportunity in the future to go abroad
faber niger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheBritishBloke)
I get a lot more holiday's than other people.. 10 a year to be precise, where I go to mainland Europe [Mainly Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy].. But that's to see my Father, then I visit places with my Father as our way of catching up with each other.
Well, that knowledge will surely help the chap who just said he feels physically sick whenever he hears of someone going on holiday.
Innately_Hedonistic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
youre an adult; pay for your own holiday!
Annie72
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OP, I was 21 before I went abroad.Plus I havent been on holiday for the last 4 years due to lack of finances.I can understand how you feel, but you are now 18 and are an adult.Holidays abroad can be really cheap.
ifstatement
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Holiday work visa my friend... Go abroad to a country and work there for a year, it's an interesting and challenging experience and it adds so much experience to your personal statement for universities, you also meet great down to earth people doing the same holiday work visa. I either suggest Australia or Canada.

Much better saying you did a gap year abroad working for a year compared to saying you did a 'gap year' by 'studying an extra A level and working in Tescos...'
Alexisonfire
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FrozenBeak)
Me or my family don't even have passports and they have no intentions on getting a passport. I'm 18 and I haven't left England once. The only holiday I've been on is within England. I've never been abroad to a hot country or anything whereas all of my friends go at least twice a year on holiday.

This is not freakin fair...why are my parents so dumb in the head to not even go on holiday. I'm sure they have money, but they say they don't. When I speak to my friends, they always share their holiday stories and when I check facebook, you always see people saying "Holiday soon" "Holiday booked" "Relaxing in spain" but me..I'm doing nothing. It's not fair....

Heard of the idea of actually getting a passport and going on holiday with friends? You're 18 after all.
username279062
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I didn't go away abroad with my family abroad til I was 16. We never had the money, and it was hard for Dad to get the holidays. The reality is, not everyone goes abroad and you shouldn't feel disappointed about not going away. In the future there'll be plenty of opportunities for you to go, and I'm sure you'll value them all the more for it
Pandora.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

This is not freakin fair...why are my parents so dumb in the head to not even go on holiday. I'm sure they have money, but they say they don't. When I speak to my friends, they always share their holiday stories and when I check facebook, you always see people saying &quot;Holiday soon&quot; &quot;Holiday booked&quot; &quot;Relaxing in spain&quot; but me..I'm doing nothing. It's not fair....

I'm in the same boat - I can't see a holiday in the foreseeable, so I guess I'll end up applying for my own passport when I'm old enough.
TheBritishBloke
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Well, that knowledge will surely help the chap who just said he feels physically sick whenever he hears of someone going on holiday.
Oh, I didn't mean to do that.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That actually sounds quite exciting! I've travelled so much the excitement of getting on a plane is about half what it once was, though I don't know if I'd have learned as much as I have if I hadn't travelled.
ta duck
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're 18 you will have plenty of opportunities for holidays in the future! If you have £80 just apply online for your own passport
Ocassus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
That actually sounds quite exciting! I've travelled so much the excitement of getting on a plane is about half what it once was, though I don't know if I'd have learned as much as I have if I hadn't travelled.
I do agree, but I think the 'buzz' when you enter an airport still lingers, always an aura of anticipation.

I'm very lucky to have done the amount of traveling I have in my life. :moon:

OP, follow the advice of posters above me, apply for a UK passport, group together with some mates, find a cheap holiday in France or Spain and go on it. Seriously, not that this will make you feel better, but the world is so much more than the grey island we live on...
goodmorningworld
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OP, if you live in the south of England then you could always get the Eurostar and do a one or two day mini-break in France when you can afford it
jollyjosh1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Innately_Hedonistic)
youre an adult; pay for your own holiday!
********. how he gona get the money?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (229)
60.9%
No (78)
20.74%
Not sure (69)
18.35%

Watched Threads