The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
can someone translate these in to german.

my house has a long and narrow corridor.
meine haus....

the floors are laminated (wood)

when you look outside the window, there isnt really a good view. all you can see is the flat behind.

also mein haus its ein Modernes haus? is that correct
thankyou
my house has a long and narrow corridor.
Mein Haus hat einen langen, engen Flur.

the floors are laminated (wood)
Ich habe Laminatfußboden (fake wood)/ Parkett (genuine wood).
You won't use the verbal construction in German.

when you look outside the window, there isnt really a good view. all you can see is the flat behind.
Wenn man aus dem Fenster schaut/ guckt, hat man keinen schönen Ausblick. Alles was man sehen kann, ist die Wohnung gegenüber.

Also mein Haus ist ein modernes Haus.
Need a bit of help with some french as i'm not quite sure...

The book is set at the time of the second world war when it was difficult to be a jew and is written through the eyes of a 10 year old boy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
zed328
and Mohammed is generally Mahomet

just seen on the French news, they say les caricatures de Mahomet....... donc t'as raison:yy:
Reply 584
farfalla4
Need a bit of help with some french as i'm not quite sure...

The book is set at the time of the second world war when it was difficult to be a jew and is written through the eyes of a 10 year old boy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

L'histoire, vue à travers les yeux d'un garçon de dix ans, se déroule à l'époque de la deuxième guerre mondiale, quand la vie d'un Juif était difficile.
Reply 585
james99

The last one doesn't really make sense, it doesn't appear to have an object yet "ziehen" is a transitive verb. It's something like "Therefore we drew up a questionnaire using our school and interviewing 48 students between the ages of..."

'zogen' is the past tense of the infinitive 'durch zeihen', which means to roam through something, e.g. Wir ziehen durch die Stadt - we wander through town. So, the begininning of the sentence translated is 'Therefore, we went through our school with a questionnaire...'
linguist786
right i have a few hindi problems!

what does the following mean..?

"cartoono chapay jaane kay wirodh" (wirodh??)

"pradarshan" (demonstration?)

"raajdhaani"

"aadhikaaryo"

"titar-bitar"

can you transliterate this please: "विश्वविद्यालय" (to me it says "widawidhalai"??)
grrr..i want to become really fluent in reading hindi, but i wasn't taught it!
Although Hindi is not my language, I do understand it well when someone speak in that language coz both Hindi and Bengali (my language) originated from Sanskrit (sp?). So I'll try my best to translate a few of the words you've mentioned.

"pradarshan" - to exhibit

"raajdhaani" - capital city

"aadhikaaryo" - right (a just, proper or legal claim; a thing that one is entitled to do or have by law)

Hope it helps you a bit. :smile:

PS: I can't read and write Hindi
Reply 587
Peach
'zogen' is the past tense of the infinitive 'durch zeihen', which means to roam through something, e.g. Wir ziehen durch die Stadt - we wander through town. So, the begininning of the sentence translated is 'Therefore, we went through our school with a questionnaire...'

Thanks, I didn't know that :smile: Although I assume you meant "durchziehen" cos I was confused for a while when "zeihen" was in the dictionary as "to indict" :p:
Reply 588
james99
Thanks, I didn't know that :smile: Although I assume you meant "durchziehen" cos I was confused for a while when "zeihen" was in the dictionary as "to indict" :p:

Certainly did mean 'durchziehen' - obviously couldn't spell yesterday, that must have been a little confusing, sorry! :p: :biggrin:
The statement from ‘Paroles d’etoiles’ is factual and matter of fact whilst Joffo evokes emotion in the reader by describing the privileges he can no longer enjoy as the bearer of a yellow star.

Can i have some help translating this statement into french please? I'm finding it really difficult. Thankyou!
farfalla4
The statement from ‘Paroles d’etoiles’ is factual and matter of fact whilst Joffo evokes emotion in the reader by describing the privileges he can no longer enjoy as the bearer of a yellow star.

Can i have some help translating this statement into french please? I'm finding it really difficult. Thankyou!

(feel free to criticise fellow frenchies!)

"La déclaration de 'Paroles d’étoiles’ est événementielle et pragmatique tandis que Joffo évoque de l'émotion pour le lecteur en décrivant les privilèges qu'il ne peut plus apprécier en tant que le porteur d'une étoile jaune."
Reply 591
farfalla4

Cette constatation de ‘Paroles d’étoiles’ est simple et objective, tandis que les paroles de Jeffo, en décrivant les privilèges dont il ne peut plus jouir grâce à l'étoile jaune qu'il doit porter, suscitent des émotions chez le lecteur.
Reply 592
how do i say in german:

there is not enough evidence for him to be guilty. therefore i do no find him guilty!

thankyou
Reply 593
linguist786
(feel free to criticise fellow frenchies!)

"La déclaration de 'Paroles d’étoiles’ est événementielle et pragmatique tandis que Joffo évoque de l'émotion pour le lecteur en décrivant les privilèges qu'il ne peut plus apprécier en tant que le porteur d'une étoile jaune."

You've taught me a new word! "événementielle" is useful here, and better than "objective", I think

You can use chez and a person to mean "in". "évoque de l'émotion chez le lecteur" is OK here.
G_S
how do i say in german:

there is not enough evidence for him to be guilty. therefore i do no find him guilty!

thankyou

Es gibt kein genug Beweis, damit er schuldig ist. Deshalb spreche ich ihn frei!

i think that's right..(anyone?)
Aitch
You've taught me a new word! "événementielle" is useful here, and better than "objective", I think

You can use chez and a person to mean "in". "évoque de l'émotion chez le lecteur" is OK here.

cool - didn't know that. thanks for teaching me something new too!
Reply 596
linguist786
Es gibt kein genug Beweis, damit er schuldig ist. Deshalb spreche ich ihn frei!

i think that's right..(anyone?)

surely it'd be nicht genug?

personally, i'd say

Es gibt nicht genug Beweis, dass er schuldig ist. Folglich finde ich ihn nicht schuldig.

repetitive of schuldig, but i dont think it matters too much in this case.
yeh i'd agree with you there Fleece (with the nicht/kein thing) and also the "dass" instead of "damit"

but "to find somebody not guilty" = jemanden freisprechen. that's where i got the second part from.
Reply 598
linguist786
yeh i'd agree with you there Fleece (with the nicht/kein thing) and also the "dass" instead of "damit"

but "to find somebody not guilty" = jemanden freisprechen. that's where i got the second part from.

yeah its more to acquit someone though, and only a judge would have that power, so i didnt think it was appropriate here..
Es gibt nicht genügend Beweise dafür, dass er schuldig ist. Deshalb spreche ich ihn frei.
Alternatively if you're not a judge: Deshalb gehe ich davon aus, dass er unschuldig ist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending