Want more information about this university?
SanitySlayer
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey all, i've been accepted into the University of Derby to study accounting starting september this year. I spent last year studying in Nottingham and lived in private halls, although i found the course I was studying didn't suit me.

Anyway I have been looking into student accomodation in Derby so that I don't have to cBrookside, Derwent Lommute, but I can't seem to find any private halls in Derby except for Brookside, Derwent Living. I have looked into the Uni Halls and all thats left is Lonsdale Hall and Laverstoke Court, from which I have determined that Lonsdale Hall is more preferable.

Anyway, are there any more private halls that aren't as openly advertised that I may have missed and out of the options what would be the most preferable to spend my first year staying at?
SanitySlayer
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
anybody?
Quiffmeister
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I might be in the same boat as you soon, when I actually receive my results. I have a conditional offer and it is my insurance choice, but I think if I'm going to get any unconditional, it'd be for Derby because my work went tits up in the end! I was really annoyed when I saw that only those two halls had places left, I don't understand how or why though. They said that several weeks ago at least, so it sounds like people with conditional offers must have been booking them too, so not fair when they don't even know their results yet.

But yeah, because those two halls do look fairly dire, I may have to consider private accommodation, which I am not looking forward to. I'm really independent, but y'know, it'd be my first year at Uni (even though I'm 21 lol) and I'd really wanna just dive right on in in the whole uni halls experience XD. Buuuut it's looking highly unlikely, so I'll let you know what I'm going to do as soon as I get my results!
chelseafreak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i have stayed in brookside for two years and its an alright place to stay, can't really say about lonsdale or lavestoke as i've never been. Have you tried looking at other dewent living places in derby, there are loads of them
stacey_dallyworld
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, Ive seen that some of you are looking for accommodation in Derby as of September.

We have available an en-suite room in a stunning student house. The house is in a prime location, close to the university halls (peak court, nunnery, princess alice and st. christophers) as well as brookside. It is very close to the city centre (ideal for a night out), as close to the university as the halls of residence and a few seconds walk from the unibus route.

The house itself is a 5 bedroom house with its own private garden. It comprises of a fully furnished living room, kitchen with modern appliances, downstairs toilet, upstairs bathroom with bath and a separate shower room. There is free street parking outside the house, or alternatively a permit can be bought for £25 for the other end of the road (I seem to remember paying around £160 for my car parking at halls last year).

The room available is a beautiful ensuite. The bathroom is of a good size, complete with toilet, sink and shower. The room has a wardrobe among other storage, as well as a double wardrobe belonging to this room of the first floor. The room is very quirky, on the top floor of the house.

Having lived in halls for my first year of uni, I can see the appeal of living in halls for convenience in first year, however the novelty soon wears off and being sent to bed during the 'best night of your life' by grumpy security guards or that one flatmate who seems to steal all your food soon brings the halls experience plummeting down. I lived in peak court, where all the rooms were ensuite, however have knowledge of all the halls. Just a heads up, if you are thinking of Lonsdale/Laverstoke, they are a fair bit further from the uni and town to the other halls.

There are currently 4 girls living in this house, we have all only just moved in having just completed our first year. We are all friendly, outgoing girls...very much still freshers at heart! (For example, if you see any painters and decorators or people in celebrity masks during freshers 11, that will be us ) We are all doing different courses, from accountancy/business to psychology to zoology.

The room is £356 per month (this includes council tax, but not electric/gas etc...which will be split between the 5 housemates) Im not sure how this compares to the halls that are left, but i know it works out cheaper than what i was paying at peak court anyway! The landlord is absolutely lovely, no trouble at all and always willing to help out where possible.

If this room does appeal to you, feel free to ask any questions you may have, I can get some photos as well If you have any questions about Derby/Halls etc I'll happily answer them.

Thanks xxx
angeladunkley
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi There,
I work for the halls of Residence and we started taking applications for halls in January. We take applications from anyone who has chosen Derby as their firm choice. That can be conditional or unconditional, but those students have committed to coming to this University.
Most people have conditional offers and so dont know their results as yet, but if we waited until after A level results to open applications we wouldnt have time to process all of our applications.
We are now just about full but we will still assist students in finding accommodation in Derby.
Brookside is the only student accommodation in Derby that is not owned by the university and i believe that they still have some rooms left.
There is also lots of other private accommodation that has been accredited by the University and City Council and we can help with finding those too.
All details and phone numbers etc can be found on the accommodation part of the uni website.
Hope that helps?? Let me know if i can help further.

Angie
jspare
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
go to Lonsdale!! Its where i was last year, and going this year.
davidhucks
Report 9 years ago
Avoid Laverstoke Court at all cost! I was there last year and it was awful! Mice literally in every flat as they were eating our food and leaving droppings in our kitchen cupboards! (ew), the shower rooms/toilets stunk and were useless, we had no oven for a month as it took forever for them to replace it, all the power went off in the kitchen one day so we lost all of our frozen food! I could go on, it was useless, oh and the cleaners were shouting to eachother or singing every time they cleaned which is not good for when you have a hangover!

If you do go, I advise you to:
Complain as soon as you see a problem, because it takes them forever to try and sort it
Keep your food in your room (you could try the kitchen initally and see how it goes)
Bring a floormat for the shower (they overflow so quickly as the shower curtains were too small!)

Good luck at Derby!
Clairey1990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey there i know a spare room going in a 3 bedroom house if that'll help?
the other two rooms are took up, both are girls.
the third room was going to be mine but i didn't get into university this year.

anyway it's a furnished double room and you share the living room, kitchen, bathroom and garden. Landlords are lovely people and there too help with any questions or queries you have got and it's a uni approved house

the address is 31 wolfa street, derby
i think another girl tenant would be preferable
the rent would be 220 a month which doesn't include bills which i think is pretty cheap considering
anyway please get in contact with me asap if you are interested thankyou
jmorris95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by davidhucks)
Avoid Laverstoke Court at all cost! I was there last year and it was awful! Mice literally in every flat as they were eating our food and leaving droppings in our kitchen cupboards! (ew), the shower rooms/toilets stunk and were useless, we had no oven for a month as it took forever for them to replace it, all the power went off in the kitchen one day so we lost all of our frozen food! I could go on, it was useless, oh and the cleaners were shouting to eachother or singing every time they cleaned which is not good for when you have a hangover!

If you do go, I advise you to:
Complain as soon as you see a problem, because it takes them forever to try and sort it
Keep your food in your room (you could try the kitchen initally and see how it goes)
Bring a floormat for the shower (they overflow so quickly as the shower curtains were too small!)

Good luck at Derby!
I applied to Derby through clearing this year and Laverstoke was the only accommodation they had left. Is it still this bad now or have they made improvements because my recipt says I'm paying for a large standard plus room but the only info pages I can find on the university website and the student room say that the rooms a t laverstoke are budget and large budget.
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey there,

Have you tried taking a look on http://www.derbystudentpad.co.uk/Home ?

This is our official website for finding private accommodation for our students, it might be worth taking a look around to see if there's anything suitable for you on there.

Many thanks,

Joe Parker
[email protected]
smoggie1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello People

I relise this is getting quite late in the day in terms of accomadation but i have a question about brookside accomadation in derby id like to ask becuase im giong in two weeks time the payment dates are before the date that the mouney from student fiances are can you pay them for lets say a weeks accomadation then once you student loan has arrived pay them the full amount for the term?.

Thanks in advance Thomas
ATB93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by smoggie1)
Hello People

I relise this is getting quite late in the day in terms of accomadation but i have a question about brookside accomadation in derby id like to ask becuase im giong in two weeks time the payment dates are before the date that the mouney from student fiances are can you pay them for lets say a weeks accomadation then once you student loan has arrived pay them the full amount for the term?.

Thanks in advance Thomas
I'm moving into Brookside next saturday as well and by the looks of it they seem to want the payment before you can even move in! Luckily I managed to borrow some money off my parents until my loan comes in as I only secured a place at the university at the end of august so haven't fully sorted my student finance out, it does seem strange that they don't take into account that someone's finance doesn't come in until a few days after enrolling.
smoggie1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ATB93)
I'm moving into Brookside next saturday as well and by the looks of it they seem to want the payment before you can even move in! Luckily I managed to borrow some money off my parents until my loan comes in as I only secured a place at the university at the end of august so haven't fully sorted my student finance out, it does seem strange that they don't take into account that someone's finance doesn't come in until a few days after enrolling.
I have spoken to them and you can pay when you arrive on sataday a weeks rent which is 89.00 pounds by card or cash until you get your student loan or grant which ever the case maybe. Apprently you need to get through to online check in before the payment section before you arrive however.
Raee_28
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by smoggie1)
Hello People

Thanks in advance Thomas
Hello!
I move in to brookside next week and was worrying about the same thing, i went and spoke to them today in person after going to the derby open day and was told that many people have been asking the same thing and all they will do is ask you to pay weekly until your finance comes through and will also get you to sign a licence document just for security reasons so dont panic! What flat/house are you in?
angeladunkley
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, My name is Angie and I work for the halls. The post above that relates to rodents is at least 2 years old and we have dealt effectively with the issue.

The kitchens are being refurbished at Laverstoke Court as we speak.

Should you have any concerns at all please call or email us, you can find details on the website.

Kind Regards

Angie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.31%
No one else does (81)
31.15%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.77%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.85%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed