Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

what would you spend £500 on? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My Dad recently gave me £500, but I'm not sure what to spend it on. I have an ipod touch and blackberry, otherwise I would buy myself an iphone.
    I'm not asking for advice, just some ideas. What would you spend it on?

ReputationRep:
    I'd save it. Don't buy stuff for the sake of it. You'll probably find it quite useful later.

ReputationRep:
    I'd save it, you never know when you might need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy1910)
    My Dad recently gave me £500, but I'm not sure what to spend it on. I have an ipod touch and blackberry, otherwise I would buy myself an iphone.
    Take driving lessons if you can't drive.

Take a short break into europe - with £500 you can have a really nice weekend

ReputationRep:
    Plane tickets to get as far away from here as possible

ReputationRep:
    I would go on a little shopping spree, buy the stuff you like

ReputationRep:
    Couple of hours with a nice hooker, or a full day with a bad one.

Either that or the worlds biggest takeaway.

Yeah...I don't save very well.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to spend it!!!
    I have over 10k now, before starting uni because I never spend my money!
    Take a look at your life, and your gadgets, and consider if you are happy, then think about whether £500 of possessions would make you happier. If the answer is no, then put it away for a rainy day, and then you'll find something to spend it on when the time comes around.
    • PS Helper

A Canon EOS 1000D plus a few accessories.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I really really want a Pegasus thunderbolt raid array, but the cheapest version is just under £800

pretty useless post really

Link:http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H5...TM1ODg&s=alpha

ReputationRep:
    I would save it and try to add more into them from time to time, you''d be surprised how much you could save and how much a relief it would be when you really need it!

ReputationRep:
    geez just save it. You don't have to spend every penny of your money on items that you get bored with after a couple days.

ReputationRep:
    Converse in every colour.

ReputationRep:
    save half (or perhaps a little more), treat yourself to something you've wanted for ages with the rest?

ReputationRep:
    matched betting, arbitrage, returns to an ISA

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, rent, fml =P

In a fantasy world where I had to spend it, I'd finally replace my broken camera then go on an epic book/ dvd/ game/ clothes shopping spree.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would spend it on some thing that will come in handy and get much use out of it
    Maybe put it towards driving lessons? Or if you're going to University/college soon, put it away and keep it for some thing that will help with that?
    In my opinion, if I was in your place, I'd put it in the bank and save it for some thing I might reaaaally want in the future, rather than spending it for the sake of it being there and available to use
    P.S - You're so lucky! £500, ooft. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    driving lessons

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you're having trouble finding what to spend the money on is a good indication that you should just save it until you need to use the money on something you want/need

ReputationRep:
    I have just under £1000 now - and I'm just saving it - there's no point in spending it on something you don't want. I'm not someone who just saves money for the sake of saving - but there's no use spending for the sake of spending either. Spend when there's something you need/really want.

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.