The Student Room Group

what would you spend £500 on?

Scroll to see replies

There are loads of books I would buy, itunes vouchers, clothes and all that shizz
I'd sort out a new passport because mine is now out of date and since it costs €95 now, I don't have that spare cash at the moment. I'd probably save the rest because university again soon is starting I'm going to need money for travel and books for it.
Reply 42
I'd get stoned in Amsterdam for a few days.
Original post by amy1910
What would you spend it on?

I booked a holiday to Oslo the week before Christmas... cost £481 and I am 20 minutes away from Winter Park for skiing, from what I could tell it was a lot cheaper than going to a resort in France or Switzerland :smile:

Alternatively you could put the money aside for a rainy uni day? :dontknow:
In a world without my student debt looming over me (by that I mean overdraft), then I would get a new laptop. Mine's on my last legs. Other than that - driving lessons (desperate), a tassimo coffee maker, a sexy filofax, stuff for my new house, a new cord for the lawn mower I broke today and ermmm.... I wouldn't bother with my summer job.
I'm in a similar position, got given £500 last week by my grandad, plus I have £500 separately untouched, so a grand altogether (unconnected to my usual bank account/wages etc..)

Not touching it, gonna save it until I find something worth spending it on. I'm a bit afraid to spend it, because generally speaking i worry about money.
Anyone who saves save it didn't read the question, which asks what you would spend it on, and not what to do with it :smile:

Oh, and more guitar gear for me.
Reply 47
id put 450 on rent and spend the rest on weed or somthing
£100 on books, Save £100, invest £100 in matched betting (by which point, I'd have another £500 to play with!) and treat myself with the rest of the £100 - dinner, drinks, new clothes, whatever!
Roulette!
Pay rent with it... If you pay no rent.. save it for the day where you are forced to pay rent and put your own food on the table. :wink:
Reply 51
Original post by unifriendly
Have you got a Kindle already Amy? They're great! :smile:
Becky

A kindle or some sort of e-reader, was the first thing that came to mind, thinking I could put textbooks etc on for Uni and my A2's but also social books. But my Mum said that me buying a kindle would make it harder for her to get me presents for my birthday, which I don't understand because whatever I spend my money on will be something I want - therefore making it a possible present. So a kindle has been drawn out of the options, thanks though :biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
This was pretty much going to be my answer.

You could make an awful lot of profit (risk free) on your £500 if you learned how to do so.

I have no idea what any of those things mean
Reply 53
Save it!
Original post by amy1910
I have no idea what any of those things mean

Neither did I two weeks ago. Search it :-).
Reply 55
Original post by Wasted Wrath
matched betting, arbitrage, returns to an ISA

Sorry could you elaborate? I'm clueless about all of what you have just said :s-smilie:
Original post by amy1910
Sorry could you elaborate? I'm clueless about all of what you have just said :s-smilie:

arbitage = buy and sell to make a profit.
Matched betting is quite complex, there's an informative thread on here however.

How old are you, btw?
Motorcycle lessons.
Reply 58
If I wasn't so God damn sensible and economic; designer shoes, or just many pair of shoes.
Reply 59
Original post by JLXP
arbitage = buy and sell to make a profit.
Matched betting is quite complex, there's an informative thread on here however.

How old are you, btw?

Oh right okay thanks, I'll have a look.
I'm 17

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending