The Student Room Group

The TSR Pokémon Society III

Scroll to see replies

2DS is to play 3DS games without the 3D, so pretty much its a ordinary DS like before instead you can play 3DS on it, but with the 3DS having the option to turn 3D off, I don't see the point.
Reply 1781
Original post by R.J. Omega
£109.99 compared to £139.99 3DS and £164.99 3DS XL, the equivalent of one or two new games - mind you, considering all the promotions that Nintendo have advertised, you could potentially make up that difference anyway with the 3DS XL (free Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing download versions if you have a friend willing to give you a Recommendation code :teeth:)

Considering the whole not being able to fold it thing, it's a smart move by Nintendo - the hinges are most definitely the weakest part of the system (one of the hinges on my original DS snapped after 8 years), so it's brilliant there's no chance of that happening on the 2DS. Plus, it comes out on the same day Pokémon X and Y is released, so they're capitalising on the fact that children will want it and parents will take the opportunity to buy the cheapest console to play it.

As to it being portable, people take iPads when they're out and about, not to mention the size of some touchscreen phones have become colossal recently. All you need is the carry case and you're set.

The main reason the GBA SP was better than the GBA was because of the backlight - the folding shape helped protect it certainly, but the real innovation came from being able to play games without having to angle your GBA towards a light source :lol: Unless you're planning to take the 2DS to places / hand it over to small children that will easily scratch the screens, the 2DS is fine as an alternative to the 3DS, it's not like you can easily fit the folded 3DS into your pocket anyway.

Hmm...£30 isn't that much I guess. I suppose that's a bit questionable from someone who has a £10 phone, but hey. Presumably 2DS screen size matches 3DS, rather than 3DS XL? The XL sounds pretty pricey, but I'm about to get a big pile of money so I'm tempted...
As a business move, I definitely agree that they've played it well. My brother's DS hinge broke relatively quickly, so he had to be quite gentle with it from then on, and he was like, 16 when he got it!
Ugh, I'm not a fan of tablets too. I think that helps my dislike of the 2DS style!

I grant you that was the main thing about the SP over the GBA, but I also liked where the controls were better, and just felt the folding was much cooler. It appears as if gameboys are my weakness for buying crap just because it's cool...
Reply 1782
New Megas:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lxdyln
New Megas:

Spoiler

Its so beautiful...

Original post by lxdyln
New Megas:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1787
Oh and Serebii said there was a new Pokemon in the Pokemon Direct video. I didn't see it at first, but apparently it's this:

Spoiler

Original post by lxdyln
Oh and Serebii said there was a new Pokemon in the Pokemon Direct video. I didn't see it at first, but apparently it's this:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1789
Original post by JordanS94

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by DJMayes

Spoiler

[spoiler]I think it will be interesting to see which of the two droughters establishes themselves as the better choice in OU. 'Zard has that horrible SR weak, but has better offensive stats even before any Mega-Mon buffs and a more robust movepool (only Heatran resists its Dual STAB + Solar Beam if I remember correctly), and neither of them can take a hit for ****. Ninetales has a better suite of status moves for screwing up switch-ins though. I think we could possibly see teams running both, Ninetales for consistent sun and Mega-Zard for wrecking stuff. It'll be interesting to see what Blastoise ends up like, an ability that "boosts its moves" leaves a lot of room for speculation :holmes: I'm definitely in agreement that Venusaur needs the least buffing, that thing is great in Sun, however I'd go as far to say that any buff it's given that robs it of Chlorophyll is actually a nerf.

Spoiler

I quite like it :h:

Spoiler

Original post by lxdyln

Spoiler

I don't see Absol, I see a fuzzy hippogriph without wings :beard:

Spoiler

Original post by DJMayes

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1794
I can't believe I've never seen this thread before xD haven't played in a while though :3 do most people here actually use the DS/GBA/GBC? or just emulators?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Original post by LeeMrLee
I can't believe I've never seen this thread before xD haven't played in a while though :3 do most people here actually use the DS/GBA/GBC? or just emulators?

Welcome to the thread :h:

Personally, I've kept my GBA and DS so I can play FireRed and SoulSilver/Diamond/Platinum, but I've been ruined by the later games - first by the Physical/Special move split, and then by the glacial pace that Diamond and Platinum battles move at :lol:

Technically emulators are a no-no, but being able to speed up the game is great, and if you're doing a Let's Play of Pokémon, you don't need to buy capture cards and so on to record your game.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LeeMrLee

Posted from TSR Mobile

I play pokemon on handhelds and emulators, the emulators are for when I am attached to a save file but want to play the game again :wink:
Reply 1797
Original post by Khallil
The former :charm:

I play pokemon on handhelds and emulators, the emulators are for when I am attached to a save file but want to play the game again :wink:

that's cool haha I prefer playing handhelds too, but most of my friends use emulators so I thought handhelds were less popular :P

Welcome to the thread :h:

Personally, I've kept my GBA and DS so I can play FireRed and SoulSilver/Diamond/Platinum, but I've been ruined by the later games - first by the Physical/Special move split, and then by the glacial pace that Diamond and Platinum battles move at :lol:

Technically emulators are a no-no, but being able to speed up the game is great, and if you're doing a Let's Play of Pokémon, you don't need to buy capture cards and so on to record your game.

thanks :biggrin: hahaha I use emulators when I occassionally play on my phone (only gba/gbc roms though). I normally play on my r4 card on the ds because I find I prefer having all my own games on one card rather than swapping around xD

I personally find I like the deeper game mechanics in the later games...I'm not a fan of gen 3 R/S/E or gen 4 D/P/P but I like the way they've incorporated all those features into HG/SS, which is probably one of my favourites. I also like playing the hacks Pitch Black, and Volt White/Blaze Black 2 because you can catch everything in the same game and the difficulty is a lot harder

Spoiler

Reply 1799

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest