The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
woooooooooot revival of the caius thread!

dunno why, but there seems to be a thread for every other college, and thought this might coax any lurking caians out of the shadows since we seems to be a bit silent on here...

roll on october!
Well, I would, but i'm going away for a year in 9 days, so it would be a bit of a limp effort I'm afraid.

Maybe you'll get a large batch of 2006 applicants, eh?
Reply 82
Oooo Caius is back! Yeah, people do seem to be more enthusiastic in the other college threads! Anyway ... excitement about October!!! I wish they'd sent us some information, so I could distract myself preparing and budgeting! We don't even know our rents yet! Rubbish!
Reply 83
i've been exactly like that! been waiting since last thursday waiting for something to feel different. got some of my set texts today along with my caius hoodie & scarf, so now it feels more real :p: but i still want an effing freshers' pack type thing!

maybe there arent many caians on here coz they've all got busy social lives and arent big nerds! :smile:

tho that would mean that i'm saying i have no life...hmmm didnt think that one through...
Reply 84
Teehee! Yeah, I was thinking the same ... or maybe when you go to get your computer networked up they set it to ban TSR! :eek:

I don't even know what my set texts are yet ... but I couldn't resist buying my gown and scarf ... you know, just to make it seem real! Spending ridiculous amounts of money on technology, like a laptop and mp3 player, as well! :frown: Will be very necessary though, I'm sure! :smile:
Reply 85
Ooo - I just realised I've been upgraded from 'Junior member' to 'Full member'! Isn't that nice! I must post more often to get my geekish status improved!
Reply 86
hahaha yeah...being exalted and worshipped is fun :rolleyes: my DOS rang up and was like "pleaaaaaaase get ahead on your reading!" so i thought i might. do you live near cambridge? what are the robes like?
Reply 87
Hello Milly and Mr Jim,

I'm doing medicine next year and also have buggerall better to do than post on tsr (actually that's not true but I'm procrastinating).

I haven't even got a book list or anything, just a list of basic science concepts which starts "Do you know the difference between an atom and a molecule?" It does get a bit harder but still didn't keep me entertained very long. Are any of you getting all itchy to get back and learn stuff and have things to do all day? I go a little spare with nothing to learn...and I'm like one of those deep sea fish which explode when there isn't enough pressure.

I was thinking how odd it is that come next year we may know each other quite well, or even be good friends, but at the moment you're all just names on a screen to me....

Ah well, enough of random musing. Must go iron.
Reply 88
I live near Reading, but I ordered my gown online, because I couldn't wait! They're navy blue with this black velvet trim ... nicer than I expected anyway!

I wish i did have a reading list! I'm probably going to turn up and they'll be like 'right, you've got to read 10 books by tomorrow!' or something! To be honest, my brain has gone to mush this summer - I really need to get it going again! I've been a bit bored these last 4 weeks as well, because I've got a broken arm, so a reading list could have come in handy!

Definitely dying to get things together though. Even if we knew what our accommodation was like it would help me get essentials sorted!
Reply 89
yeah i know what you mean about the accom milly, and harietrf - not sure about going spare with nothing to learn but i definately do with nothing to do at all! hehe, i should start revising like, no doubt i've forgotten loads. good job i can count watching a film as revision :wink:
Reply 90
i personally apologise on behalf of all caius-type-people everywhere for this blatant lack of courtesy. in my time at cambridge i shall strive to make our college the most welcoming and friendly of all.

...:smile:
Reply 91
oh hey, where do people want as accom? that new building or harvey court? i think i'd prefer harvey court for how it's set out and coz it's probs the cheaper one :wink:
Reply 92
Yeah, I know what you mean! You can kind of get spoilt with brand new buildings and ensuites! Proper student experience - getting locked out of your room when you get up to go to the loo, eh?! (Well, it's a conversation piece!) Plus, I'd rather not spend more money if I can help it! (Better to save it for more important things! Like a new dress for the May Ball! Except we don't get one until our second year! Rubbish!)
Reply 93
heh harvey court was fun at interview. slightly like a scene from Rear Window coz you could see people sitting on their bed rocking all night and that sweet clanking noise from the heater that went on through the night :p:

and what do you mean, we don't get a may ball til our second year?
Reply 94
Teehee! I didn't stay overnight for interview, but I stayed on an open day and never found the heater! It's quite cool having that running balcony thing, although I imagine not very private! Still, makes it less like a prison cell than some other places I've been!

Caius only has a ball every two years, I've heard, and as they had one this year, that means we don't get one until our second year. Sucks doesn't it?! I guess we're going to have to collectively crash some other colleges' balls, eh?!
Reply 95
i do like the balcony thing, when i arrived for interview i went for a wander along it, turned round and saw this girl sat staring at me like i was breaking into her house! fun stuff.

that's mad about the may ball. i wasnt sure if i was gonna go to it anyway, are they actually in may or after the exams are finished? coz i'm hoping to go to peru for the whole of july...
Reply 96
They're in June, after exams. May Week sounds like so much fun! Expensive, but fun! They have shows and garden parties as well I think. Anyway, you'll be home before July, because that's when the open days are.
Reply 97
hmmmmmmm spose i've got no excuse then :p: cambridge does sound a bit more expensive than other places, they're getting more of us state schoolers to go but they've still got these activities that cost a gazillion quid :rolleyes: my brother's just got a calendar for his first term at middlesex and there's nary a garden party in sight :wink:
Reply 98
I know what you mean - and with all that stuff about how it doesn't cost any more than anywhere else! But I think a lot of it is cheaper than it would be if another university did it, because lots of stuff seems to have sponsorship subsidising the prices. I don't know - I'm a state schooler too, and feel a sense of principle about it all, but at the same time would like to try some of the posh stuff! I imagine most of it isn't too stuffy or expensive!
Reply 99
hehe here's hoping! me and my friend were gonna do a week at the beginning of term of walking round in our scarves talking all posh... it'll be nice to be in a completely different way of life as i'm used to...floppy hair and the like :p:

nowt better than a change of air eh?

Latest

Trending

Trending