The Student Room Group

not pleased about the way i look in mirrors in clothes shops

I'm a fairly decent looking guy and I look fine in photos or mirrors at home, college and where I work etc. but whenever I look in the mirror in a clothes store I'm less than impressed. My face looks way worse and my confidence drops subzero. I only really look at the mirror for a split second before looking away because it'll just make me feel worse.

anyone else experience this or is it just me :frown: ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sometimes.
no its just you.
Yeah, the lighting in clothes shops is pretty artifical and extreme, so try not to worry about it too much.
Not gonna lie, I look buff in shop mirrors. Especially in New Look :sexface:
nope this never happens to me in mirrors. Although I always look bad in photos/videos
I always thought they were designed to make you look better than you actually do...sorry if I'm not making you feel any better :redface:
I know how you feel, I always look fat and ugly in clothes shops mirrors. And I'm a healthy size 8/10 girl.
I've found the opposite. They use lighting from above to trick you into thinking the dress looks amazing and slimming and wow, doesn't your skin look good today and ooh, have you lost weight? And then you buy the dress and take it home and try it on in front of your own mirror and find out that they deceived you and you still look like a whale. Damn them and their confidence-trickery mirrors. Damn them to hell!
Reply 9
hmm i guess i don't always look bad in a shop, i mean sometimes i think i look better in the shops. When I went to Next for example, I was happy with my mirror image, and their changing rooms had mirrors that definitely made me look better.

But I was in Bershka today where they have a really dark and dingy atmosphere with just a spotlight here and there, and I looked pretty ****. I guess it was the sort of atmosphere you'd get when u go to an indoor gig and they're doing sound checks with a few lights on..
Reply 10
Although you would logically expect them to make you look better, it's a common problem for a lot of people, including myself.
Reply 11
I hate the mirrors that show the back of you in changing rooms. They make me look humongous. :frown:
Original post by loonyplatypus
I've found the opposite. They use lighting from above to trick you into thinking the dress looks amazing and slimming and wow, doesn't your skin look good today and ooh, have you lost weight? And then you buy the dress and take it home and try it on in front of your own mirror and find out that they deceived you and you still look like a whale. Damn them and their confidence-trickery mirrors. Damn them to hell!

Artificial lighting making ur skin look 10 times as worse
I find I look horrific in shop mirrors as well but not too bad in my own one. I don't understand why though because I thought shop mirrors were meant to make you look amazing!
Original post by Rascacielos
I find I look horrific in shop mirrors as well but not too bad in my own one. I don't understand why though because I thought shop mirrors were meant to make you look amazing!

All those mirrors, the very very bright artificial lighting, and that clear tilling on the floor, does the complete opposite. The lighting makes all your tiny blemishes and facial imperfections show really badly....
Reply 15
Perhaps you are allergic to clothes. Probably a lot of guys are. I wouldn't sweat it.
Reply 16
Seriously though, think about it. Human attraction has not evolved in blaring light. Whatever is attractive in normal everyday light conditions, is attractive. That's all.
I hardly ever try clothes on before I buy them but I tried a dress on in a shop last week. The light was really bright and artificial and made my skin look GREY! I also thought my thighs looked huuuuuuuuuge. They dont look that bad at home. :frown:
Reply 18
Nah that doesn't happen to me, I look the same in mirrors but then SO ugly in pictures
Reply 19
I think it's to do with the lighting to be honest.. For me, it's normally photos that are a big no-no, I try to dodge them as often as possible at parties and such :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending