Computer systems engineering or computer science?

Watch
gunnerkanishk
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi

I have applied for a computer systems engineering course from the University of Manchester and just wanted to know whether there were any differences between Computer Science and computer systems engineering. The course module was virtually identical with Computer Science having a few more options to choose from. Otherwise, career wise, does it make any difference?

Thanks
BluesMan
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it'll make much difference. You already said yourself they are the same degree with slightly different modules. Are they both BEng or MEng courses?
GuyUK
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Computer systems engineering usually have more modules such as electronics, digital circuit, hardware modules then computer science.
gunnerkanishk
Rep:
I don't think it'll make much difference. You already said yourself they are the same degree with slightly different modules. Are they both BEng or MEng courses?
Computer Science is B.Sc or M.Eng whereas Computer Systems Engineering is B.Eng or M.Eng.

I guess for chartership later on I shouldn't take a risk with B.Sc, if I fail to make the grades for M.Eng. What say?

And future prospects for both? If you're amongst the top students in your batch is it hard to find internships/jobs?

Computer systems engineering usually have more modules such as electronics, digital circuit, hardware modules then computer science.
Yep thats one of the reasons I chose it.

I just am not familiar with the career prospects in the UK so was a little worried.
BluesMan
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gunnerkanishk)
Computer Science is B.Sc or M.Eng whereas Computer Systems Engineering is B.Eng or M.Eng.

I guess for chartership later on I shouldn't take a risk with B.Sc, if I fail to make the grades for M.Eng. What say?

And future prospects for both? If you're amongst the top students in your batch is it hard to find internships/jobs?
Chartership requires an MEng or BEng+MSc or BSc+MSc, although I believe the latter is less common. If you work hard and put the time in, a 2:1 MEng should be attainable (which is what you need for a lot of graduate schemes).

What career do you want?

I assume you mean CEng rather than any other sort of chartership? (there are loads out there)
AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Im doing BSc in Computer Science, I have then been told to do a MSc in a related discipline such as Computer Forensics or Networking and so on. I spoke to Cambridge and they told me this.

My advice to you is to do the course that has the modules that suit you and sound most appealing to you. That is the most important thing.
gunnerkanishk
Rep:
Chartership requires an MEng or BEng+MSc or BSc+MSc, although I believe the latter is less common. If you work hard and put the time in, a 2:1 MEng should be attainable (which is what you need for a lot of graduate schemes).

What career do you want?

I assume you mean CEng rather than any other sort of chartership? (there are loads out there)
Yes of course C.Eng. And can you gain chartership after you do an MBA too?

Im doing BSc in Computer Science, I have then been told to do a MSc in a related discipline such as Computer Forensics or Networking and so on. I spoke to Cambridge and they told me this.

My advice to you is to do the course that has the modules that suit you and sound most appealing to you. That is the most important thing.
Why don't you straight away opt for M.Eng in your fourth year? Wouldn't that be better?
paisrikanth
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Guys any idea on how is computer science at University of Nottingham ?
capital S
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
FYI, the difference between pure computer science and computer engineering/computer systems engineering is that in computer science, your main interest is software, complexity and all the classical CS stuff. in computer engineering/computer systems engineering, you study a CPU and design digital circuits to speed things up. with CS, you become a software developer, while with CE you become a CPU developer.
gunnerkanishk
Rep:
FYI, the difference between pure computer science and computer engineering/computer systems engineering is that in computer science, your main interest is software, complexity and all the classical CS stuff. in computer engineering/computer systems engineering, you study a CPU and design digital circuits to speed things up. with CS, you become a software developer, while with CE you become a CPU developer.
Yep. I agree. Though would you say one is better than the other career wise? Which one pays more?

And since the first year for both is the same. Can you switch from Computer Engineering to Computer Science if you want to?
capital S
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Yep. I agree. Though would you say one is better than the other career wise? Which one pays more?

And since the first year for both is the same. Can you switch from Computer Engineering to Computer Science if you want to?
I've some friends who've studied computer engineering are having trouble finding jobs, because the market is saturated with experts already. So in that respect, computer science is a bit more generic and will get you a job more quickly. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you can't get a job with CE, it just might be a bit tougher. And as always, you'll still have a strong background in CS, so that's worth something.

Dunno about the switching thing, ask your uni.
gunnerkanishk
Rep:
I've some friends who've studied computer engineering are having trouble finding jobs, because the market is saturated with experts already. So in that respect, computer science is a bit more generic and will get you a job more quickly. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying you can't get a job with CE, it just might be a bit tougher. And as always, you'll still have a strong background in CS, so that's worth something.

Dunno about the switching thing, ask your uni.
If I do an M.Eng in computer systems engineering would it still be hard to find jobs?
BluesMan
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
If I do an M.Eng in computer systems engineering would it still be hard to find jobs?
You would be eligible to apply for a lot of graduate schemes with large companies such as IBM, Detica, HP, etc. They would provide you with good jobs if you got through.
gunnerkanishk
Rep:
You would be eligible to apply for a lot of graduate schemes with large companies such as IBM, Detica, HP, etc. They would provide you with good jobs if you got through.
How would you rate Manchester for this course?
gunnerkanishk
Rep:
and would you also say the Computer Science graduates will have better job opportunities than Computer Systems Engineering graduates?
BluesMan
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
How would you rate Manchester for this course?
I would direct you towards the league tables, I've never visited the place.

and would you also say the Computer Science graduates will have better job opportunities than Computer Systems Engineering graduates?
It's too close to say really. Depends where you are applying and what you want to do.
gunnerkanishk
Rep:
I would direct you towards the league tables, I've never visited the place.
Well in domestic rankings manchester is ranked very low. but in world rankings, which I obv think are better to consider, it is much much higher than other british universities outside of oxbridge and imperial.
capital S
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Well in domestic rankings manchester is ranked very low. but in world rankings, which I obv think are better to consider, it is much much higher than other british universities outside of oxbridge and imperial.
dude, you're overanalyzing this. if you're a good student you'll get hired, no matter where you're from or what exact specialization you studied.
BluesMan
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by capital S)
dude, you're overanalyzing this. if you're a good student you'll get hired, no matter where you're from or what exact specialization you studied.
^^^
gunnerkanishk
Rep:
Gee. I know. I am really worried. Parents investing a lot of money in my studies you know. So want to check out every single detail. :O
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads