The Student Room Group

Any tamils in a relationship with non-tamils?

If so, how did your parents take it? or Do you think they would they accept it?

I know there are alot of threads like these regarding indians/ pakistanis but I was wondering how the tamil culture would respond to male/females dating non-tamils?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When you say tamils, you mean in a sri lankan way right?
YES.
Original post by goddogit

yh
Reply 4

Tamils are srilankans but i meant actual tamils since the singhalese live a different way of life than tamils.

They usually marry non-asians and their parents are fine with it, which is good for them but I know its very different in the tamil culture
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Tamils are srilankans but i meant actual tamils since the singhalese live a different way of life than tamils.

They usually marry non-asians and their parents are fine with it, which is good for them but I know its very different in the tamil culture

well i have a tamil friend who just married a spanish dude. her parents were distraught in the beginning, but when they met him, they realised he was the right one for her.
Reply 6
Oh right. I'm tamil too but i'm seeing someone whos indian and few years younger than me. I really like him but I try no to ignore it as I know my parents wont accept it and things will only get complicated in the future and I really dont want to hurt him.

How long did it take for you mum to accept it? I'm female btw so I know this is not going to be easy
Reply 7
Well i know of a couple of tamils who have married non-tamils .....Whether they get married or not, depends i think most parents are shocked in the start some are then accepting, but then some have strong opinions that tamils should marry Tamils, so they have to give up sometimes years of love for their parents...i know people who have been through both sides ....its actually pretty sad
Reply 8

I know there are alot of threads like these regarding indians/ pakistanis but I was wondering how the tamil culture would respond to male/females dating non-tamils?

Well i know of a couple of tamils who have married non-tamils .....Whether they get married or not, depends i think most parents are shocked in the start some are then accepting, but then some have strong opinions that tamils should marry Tamils, so they have to give up sometimes years of love for their parents...i know people who have been through both sides ....its actually pretty sad
I think it's great when people should date others from different cultures it makes your relationship so much more interesting, they have the most gorgeous babies! I saw a couple who were black and east asian and their little girl was really cute!

Anyway to answer your question I know a Sri Lankan guy who was in a relationship with a Scottish girl for years, they're still going strong now. His parents live in Sri Lanka but they know about his grlfriend and were accepting of it.
Oh right. I'm tamil too but i'm seeing someone whos indian and few years younger than me. I really like him but I try no to ignore it as I know my parents wont accept it and things will only get complicated in the future and I really dont want to hurt him.

How long did it take for you mum to accept it? I'm female btw so I know this is not going to be easy

Every parents is different, and some will rate cultural tradtion more highly than others. I may be worng in saying this but aren't some aspects of Tamil culture similar to Indian culture, if so that'd make it easier for your families to jel.

How serious is your relationship with him? If you're just seeing him and you don't really see yourself having a future with him and if you're parents found ut and it's create more problems than it's worth then your better off not telling them.
Reply 11
Apologies in advance for my ignorance and total lack of geographic/sociological skills but,
Who or what are tamils??
Is this a race, nationality or religion?
Reply 12
Original post by Athena21
Apologies in advance for my ignorance and total lack of geographic/sociological skills but,
Who or what are tamils??
Is this a race, nationality or religion?

LOL dw well tamil is a language and people who speak it are tamils :smile:
Reply 13
I know a tamil guy who goes out with an Indian girl...
Original post by Naami
My boyfriend is Tamil, I'm Bangladeshi. LOL his parents hate me. They want him to go out with a Tamil girl, which is understandable as most parents of a culture want their child to be with another person of the same culture. It's quite funny though, because he tells me that his mum tries to put him off by saying "She's from a Muslim family, if her family finds out who knows what they'll do to you." (She has some idea that my family will force him to convert by torturing him) :P

i'm indian tamil but i think it's still kinda the same although i guess indian tamil parents would be more okay with marrying another indian even if they weren't tamil.

not gonna lie, my parents(tamil) think that about muslim people too. it's really quite sad that they generalise muslims but hey, not much can change tamil thinking.

I know a few tamils that have married chinese/english/bengali/black people. Most of them don't have a good relationship with their family anymore which is really sad but like i said it's hard to change tamil thinking...
Reply 15

Sri-lankan could mean your either Tamil or Senegalese
Reply 16

zomg tamil guys are the hottttesssst they have the perfect bone structure. they are soo gorgeous. i dont know any famous ones though

my ex was half tamil and his ex wife was also. but he was very promiscuos with many girl and boyfriends of all races in his parents house. he is currently living with a white girl who he is also haveing bisexual threesomes with. in his parents house.

so not all tamil parents are strict.

im latina catholic and if i straighten my hair i look vaguely indian. do you think a cute tamil dude will date me and impregnante me with most excellent tamil baby genes?

what religion are tamil dudes? what age do they get married? where do they hang out? do they like marrying large bootied latin girls?
erm i think you should work on the bit where the guys younger than your first.... the culture may pee them off and then on top of that, a man younger than yourself.... wait unless you're gay, uh man more details please....
Reply 18
Original post by shinytoy
zomg tamil guys are the hottttesssst they have the perfect bone structure. they are soo gorgeous. i dont know any famous ones though

my ex was half tamil and his ex wife was also. but he was very promiscuos with many girl and boyfriends of all races in his parents house. he is currently living with a white girl who he is also haveing bisexual threesomes with. in his parents house.

so not all tamil parents are strict.

im latina catholic and if i straighten my hair i look vaguely indian. do you think a cute tamil dude will date me and impregnante me with most excellent tamil baby genes?

what religion are tamil dudes? what age do they get married? where do they hang out? do they like marrying large bootied latin girls?

why did someone neg this?

oh yeah, tamil dudes are mostly vegetarian, super hot, have good manners, respect their family, dont drink and have the perfect petite man build. the only think is, they do not have that much chest hair. but apart from that i need to get me some of those
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by hidden_desire
YES.

So how did your parents react? :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending