Mr Inquisitive
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey all, sorry if a thread similar to this has been done already.

I'm self-studying Maths A2 next year, and am wondering which of these two (D1 or S2) would be the better module. I hated S1, and as such feel reluctant to take S2, but because I am applying for a degree which has a substantial amount of politics and economics involved, I'm inclined to think it would be helpful to take S2 instead.

Does anyone have any opinions on having self-studied either of these modules themselves, which they found to be a more enjoyable/better module?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much.
Repressor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
D1 is easier, but because of this, the tiniest mistakes can send you flying down the UMS chart.

S2 only has 4 or 5 main things to learn then you've just got to learn to apply them.

I'd say do D1 if you're the kind of person who literally can't stand stats.
annathomas
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
S2 was way more fun then S1. And helps so much with S3, if you're doing that. So will probably help with your degree. I've never done decision though.
Mr Inquisitive
Rep:
?
(Original post by Repressor)
D1 is easier, but because of this, the tiniest mistakes can send you flying down the UMS chart.

S2 only has 4 or 5 main things to learn then you've just got to learn to apply them.

I'd say do D1 if you're the kind of person who literally can't stand stats.
(Original post by annathomas)
S2 was way more fun then S1. And helps so much with S3, if you're doing that. So will probably help with your degree. I've never done decision though.
I think it sounds like S2 would be the better choice, considering that I have some sort of statistical background having done S1, and little mistakes wont be as detrimental to UMS.

Thank you.
annathomas
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good choice XD
Rahul.S
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
depends on course as well....s2 paper in jan was easy but the june one was terrible apparently.....d1 was moderate in both jan and june.....i would say pick s2 if your good in s1 =)
Phoebe x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im taking S2 next year - but I've done D1 and D2 aswell - D1 is really quite easy - its easy to learn the basic algorithms and when you've done that you can pretty much answer any question given to you ... personally to self teach a module D1 would be the easiest!!
good luck with your choice
BioFurMatPhyStudent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
Hey all, sorry if a thread similar to this has been done already.

I'm self-studying Maths A2 next year, and am wondering which of these two (D1 or S2) would be the better module. I hated S1, and as such feel reluctant to take S2, but because I am applying for a degree which has a substantial amount of politics and economics involved, I'm inclined to think it would be helpful to take S2 instead.

Does anyone have any opinions on having self-studied either of these modules themselves, which they found to be a more enjoyable/better module?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much.
For both you need high marks for decent ums. But S2 is really good. Poisson and Binomial distributions are great, also it sort of helped me understand the normal distibution for S1. Anyway it's a lot better than S1. BTW, if you do decide to do S2 I've got some powerpoints I could send you.
Mr Inquisitive
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rahul.S)
depends on course as well....s2 paper in jan was easy but the june one was terrible apparently.....d1 was moderate in both jan and june.....i would say pick s2 if your good in s1 =)
It's Edexcel, if that's what you're referring to. I think I'll go with S2, like you say, because S1 wasn't that bad.

(Original post by BioFurMatPhyStudent)
For both you need high marks for decent ums. But S2 is really good. Poisson and Binomial distributions are great, also it sort of helped me understand the normal distibution for S1. Anyway it's a lot better than S1. BTW, if you do decide to do S2 I've got some powerpoints I could send you.
Sounds great, especially if it helps with the normal distribution. Also, those powerpoints would be much appreciated - thank you.
Rahul.S
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's Edexcel, if that's what you're referring to. I think I'll go with S2, like you say, because S1 wasn't that bad.

Sounds great, especially if it helps with the normal distribution. Also, those powerpoints would be much appreciated - thank you.
i meant wt course ur going to do at uni possibly? if ur considering comp sc then do decision or else....i think uve made ur mind up already nw....on doin s2 i do edexcel as well...im doing s2 in jan? wbu?
Mr Inquisitive
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rahul.S)
i meant wt course ur going to do at uni possibly? if ur considering comp sc then do decision or else....i think uve made ur mind up already nw....on doin s2 i do edexcel as well...im doing s2 in jan? wbu?
Oh, Philosophy, Politics and Economics. I'm considering S2 in January, but because of the four other A2's I'll be doing aside from Maths the exam load may get a little heavy, so I may just decide to leave it until June and make sure I get a good 90+ in C3.
BioFurMatPhyStudent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Glad to help. if you do decide to do S2, Pm me your email and I'll send forward you the ones I have. I have a powerpoint for every chapter except poisson and binomial distributions, I think, but there easy enough.
4ever_drifting
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ermmm... neither? I hate both Statistics and Decision, though Decision seemed easier to learn - it's not going to be massively enjoyable, (at least to me it wasn't, obviously everyone is different) but it is pretty straight forward. You could look up specifications and have a look on Youtube for videos on the the topics and then see what you prefer.

Mechanics all the way
Rahul.S
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mr inquisitive)
oh, philosophy, politics and economics. I'm considering s2 in january, but because of the four other a2's i'll be doing aside from maths the exam load may get a little heavy, so i may just decide to leave it until june and make sure i get a good 90+ in c3.
=) s2 for june it is :e
marek35
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what exam board?

i found s2 much easier than s1, since there was more algebra.
The Polar Dude
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm in the same position as you. I really hated S1 from the beginning, the exam in may was so I'm thinking of taking D1.
Mr Inquisitive
Rep:
?
(Original post by marek35)
what exam board?

i found s2 much easier than s1, since there was more algebra.
Edexcel.

If there's more algebra, it should be a dream. A lot of S1 content was just superfluous, such as coding (:dry:).

(Original post by The Polar Dude)
I'm in the same position as you. I really hated S1 from the beginning, the exam in may was so I'm thinking of taking D1.
Precisely, but I think Stats will be more helpful in the long run, unless one is pursuing Comp Sci/Engineering, etc.
Groat
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
It's weird: with D1 it is ridiculously easy to drop marks, yet the grade boundaries are usually really high. I don't know if that's a factor for you, but I'd go for S2!
thirstysailor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
With D1 its all got high grade boundaries, my friend got 6 less marks and 2 lower grades i think. I didn't like s1 but thought s2 was pretty good. I'd say if you have a lot of economics in your degree you ought to do S2 either way.
mazboy008
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
S2 is a lot easier and more understandable than S1. D1 is quite boring and laborious and if your studying Maths yourself then S2 would be better.
I have done D1 and have nearly finished S2 as a part of Further Maths. I find maths quite easy so it depends on whether if you find S2 hard or not.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (57)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (93)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (125)
37.88%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.33%

Watched Threads