The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I don't mean to darken the mood, but I am not entirely convinced the 'hybrid' policy announced by David Willets in July (I think it was July) will ever happen.

The legal complexity of only allowing access to partial tuition fee loans, whilst mashing together the current (bizarre) ELQ rules with this 'partial access' scheme, and (theoretically) keeping graduate medics excluded from access to maintenance grants (the current legal arrangement is that if you receive a tuition fee loan, you are automatically assessed for a grant), is incredibly complicated.

I think Willetts and Lansley have cooked up a bloody awful policy with the Medical Schools Council which had some superficial financial attractions (gets graduates into more debt) but also necessitates an incredibly complicated legal change to put into effect.

Do not be surprised if the policy is amended again.
Original post by HLS
I don't mean to darken the mood, but I am not entirely convinced the 'hybrid' policy announced by David Willets in July (I think it was July) will ever happen.

The legal complexity of only allowing access to partial tuition fee loans, whilst mashing together the current (bizarre) ELQ rules with this 'partial access' scheme, and (theoretically) keeping graduate medics excluded from access to maintenance grants (the current legal arrangement is that if you receive a tuition fee loan, you are automatically assessed for a grant), is incredibly complicated.

I think Willetts and Lansley have cooked up a bloody awful policy with the Medical Schools Council which had some superficial financial attractions (gets graduates into more debt) but also necessitates an incredibly complicated legal change to put into effect.

Do not be surprised if the policy is amended again.

My thoughts exactly. It all seems v. complex, what I gleaned was the idea that for 4 year grad entry degrees we are moving to a position where the whole of the first year fees (say 9 grand) are paid up front by the student and then the rest covered by a combination of student loans and NHS bursaries.
I've budgeted for the situation i've outlined above with the hike in fees coming in the first year from 3.5 to 9 grand (meaning the student pays all this), my worry is that the government will not listen to the BMA, fail to properly protect/appreciate the exceptionalism of Medicine (and Dentistry) and i'll be hit with 36 grand's worth of tuition fees, with the option for a loan and/or NHS funding being withdrawn for all 4 years. Is this 'doom' scenario realistic?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 262
Original post by Allypally123
My thoughts exactly. It all seems v. complex, what I gleaned was the idea that for 4 year grad entry degrees we are moving to a position where the whole of the first year fees (say 9 grand) are paid up front by the student and then the rest covered by a combination of student loans and NHS bursaries.
I've budgeted for the situation i've outlined above with the hike in fees coming in the first year from 3.5 to 9 grand (meaning the student pays all this), my worry is that the government will not listen to the BMA, fail to properly protect/appreciate the exceptionalism of Medicine (and Dentistry) and i'll be hit with 36 grand's worth of tuition fees, with the option for a loan and/or NHS funding being withdrawn for all 4 years. Is this 'doom' scenario realistic?

No. The policy that's been announced at the moment is that the student for the first year of GEM will remain liable for £3400 or so up front.

The intention is that the rest of the £9k will be provided for via tuition fee loans.

The problem is that there is no legal mechanism at the moment for making 'partial' loans available of this nature. Creating a mechanism will have to specify the exact quantity of the loan.

Also making loans available will totally bugger the ELQ policy. The policy at the moment excludes access to tuition fee loans - how are they going to arrange it so that you can have partial access, with the ELQ rules still applying?

Also as I have said above the current legislation is arranged in such a way that applying for a tuition loan automatically means you are assessed for a student grant. How are they going to decouple this little trifle?

Also this 'Partial NHS Bursary' scheme just seems crazy.

Basically it's a political minefield created by a stupid policy which was seemingly dreamed up by the MSC and jumped on by Lansley and Willetts.

Lets see how long it lasts.
hey. sorry it's a bit off topic but does anyone know how kings and barts select graduates for their 5 year programmes.

thanks
Reply 264
Post deleted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 265
My GCSEs are atrocious.

I got 2 distinctions (equivalent to 2A*s) 3As 6Bs. I initially got a C in English lang but re-sat to get a the B grade.

My A-levels are atrocious.

Chemistry - B (I resat Chemistry, it was a C initially), English - B, Biology - C
The 1 mark away from an A in English has affected by future, me getting just BBC instead of ABC hinders me for applying to about 4 medical schools..sucks.

AS Applied ICT - B (My module results were AAD, I resat that exam numerous times and still couldn't get it to an C to get an A).

I will hopefully attain a First form Royal Holloway reading biochemistry (I will transfer from Essex), continue to do more impressive w/e and work bloody hard for the UKCAT, I need to aim for 650 min.

These are the medical schools that I'd be applicable for if I were applying in 2012 (if I remove Imperial and Kings): Southampton, Newcastle, Warwick, Queen Mary, Durham(5 yr), Brighton and Sussex (5yr). I'm sure these universities will increase their requirements thus limiting my choices come 2014.

I've been rejected twice already from medicine, and graduate medicine is 10 times harder. It really sucks to be me..I'm really unlucky.

I'm probably just not academically bright or good with exams. I don't feel I'm a worthy candidate for medicine.

Should I go for an alternative?
Reply 266
It's difficult. I know too many good people who got rejected without interview as graduates. You'll be up against it, but I'd read into the various policies on graduates before applying. Next year might be slightly easier due to the whole fees fiasco, but not by much I reckon.
Original post by Can't Touch This.
My GCSEs are atrocious.

I got 2 distinctions (equivalent to 2A*s) 3As 6Bs. I initially got a C in English lang but re-sat to get a the B grade.

Chemistry - B (I resat Chemistry, it was a C initially), English - B, Biology - C
The 1 mark away from an A in English has affected by future, me getting just BBC instead of ABC hinders me for applying to about 4 medical schools..sucks.

AS Applied ICT - B (My module results were AAD, I resat that exam numerous times and still couldn't get it to an C to get an A).

I will hopefully attain a First form Royal Holloway reading biochemistry (I will transfer from Essex), continue to do more impressive w/e and work bloody hard for the UKCAT, I need to aim for 650 min.

These are the medical schools that I'd be applicable for if I were applying in 2012 (if I remove Imperial and Kings): Southampton, Newcastle, Warwick, Queen Mary, Durham(5 yr), Brighton and Sussex (5yr). I'm sure these universities will increase their requirements thus limiting my choices come 2014.

I've been rejected twice already from medicine, and graduate medicine is 10 times harder. It really sucks to be me..I'm really unlucky.

I'm probably just not academically bright or good with exams. I don't feel I'm a worthy candidate for medicine.

Your A levels are fine, you have a good chemistry grade. I don't think anywhere will care about your GCSEs since you're a graduate.

For the UKCAT you will have to aim a lot higher than 650 if you want to get an interview for many of the GEP courses, especially Newcastle which usually only interviews those with 700 or above. I hear BSMS also look quite closely at your degree transcript, so make sure you don't have any failed modules. Also take a look at Kings College London, if you can get a decent UKCAT score you could probably also go for their A100 degree, if not the GEP.

Incidentally, it's Barts and The London, not Queen Mary.

Honestly I wouldn't stress if I were you. Lots of people have got into GEM with far less than you. The most important thing is concentrating on getting a 2:1 and a good UKCAT score, and sorting out some work experience if you already haven't :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 268
Original post by Democracy
Your A levels are fine, you have a good chemistry grade. I don't think anywhere will care about your GCSEs since you're a graduate.

For the UKCAT you will have to aim a lot harder than 650 if you want to get an interview for many of the GEP courses, especially Newcastle which usually only interviews those with 700 or above. I hear BSMS also look quite closely at your degree transcript, so make sure you don't have any failed modules. Also take a look at Kings College London, if you can get a decent UKCAT score you could probably also go for their A100 degree, if not the GEP.

Incidentally, it's Barts and The London, not Queen Mary.

Honestly I wouldn't stress if I were you. Lots of people have got into GEM with far less than you. The most important thing is concentrating on getting a 2:1 and a good UKCAT score, and sorting out some work experience if you already haven't :smile:

Thanks Democracy, you've put me at ease. I haven't even started my BSc yet I'm stressing out. That's typical me, I stress over the future and get nothing done at present....which in turn will affect my future.

Oops my mistake it is Barts and The London. Studying medicine at Barts and The London would be a dream :daydreaming:
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks Democracy, you've put me at ease. I haven't even started my BSc yet I'm stressing out. That's typical me, I stress over the future and get nothing done at present....which in turn will affect my future.

Oops my mistake it is Barts and The London. Studying medicine at Barts and The London would be a dream :daydreaming:

Yep :smile: Just chill and try your best to get a 2:1. Btw it doesn't matter where you get your degree from, so don't feel obliged to transfer to RHUL because it's "better"...the most important thing is doing well :yy:
You sound like you're really passionate about doing medicine so I really think that you should go for it. It looks like your doing some some stuff already to boost your chances e.g. work experience etc.

However due to its competitiveness it might be good to have a back up plan just in case. Is there anything else you're interested in?
Reply 271
Original post by Really_now
You sound like you're really passionate about doing medicine so I really think that you should go for it. It looks like your doing some some stuff already to boost your chances e.g. work experience etc.

However due to its competitiveness it might be good to have a back up plan just in case. Is there anything else you're interested in?

Here my written plan, it's all subject to change.

1. Obtain a First in Biochemistry at Essex University for the first year, transfer to Royal Holloway and obtain a First.
2. I’m now a member of the National Youth Theatre and will soon audition for Hoxton Street Casting, hopefully I’ll be able to bag myself an agent and start auditioning for theatre/television/film roles.
3. Apply for my MSc at Imperial reading Science Communication, a couple of drama schools (1 year postgraduate course) and 4 medical schools in the UK.
4. If I don’t get into medical school, I’ll either take MSc Science Communication/drama school (the hard bit would be picking which one to go for!) and then after that apply for a couple medical schools again and PhD biochemistry courses.
5. I will work my hardest to pursue and fulfil all these goals; I’m a driven and determined individual and will hopefully become any of the following: An educated professional actress, a medical journalist or a doctor.
So those professions are on the cards, who knows what’ll happen, I’m sort of going with the flow

Sorry if I've bored you :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 272
Original post by Democracy
Yep :smile: Just chill and try your best to get a 2:1. Btw it doesn't matter where you get your degree from, so don't feel obliged to transfer to RHUL because it's "better"...the most important thing is doing well :yy:

You are absolutely right. I had no intention of going to Essex, I didn't like it during the open day, and the name 'Essex' has a bad stigma attached to it. It was the only decent university that would accept my grades. I missed my firm by one UMS mark technically. I prefer the course structure at RHUL that's why I'm considering transferring. However I may grow to love Essex, I really should give it a chance :redface:
Reply 273
Do you stand a better chance of being called to interview if you have a degree from a more prestigious university?
Reply 274
Phew, so I took my UKCAT today and did far better than I expected (avg. 767.5!), so it's all steam ahead now.

I got (in 2001, so old A-Level system) AABB in Further Maths, Maths, Chemistry and Theatre Studies respectively and 7 As 3 Bs at GCSE.

Uni wise, I got a 2:1 in Computer Science and Maths in Manchester, so no life sciences, but I understand that's not important to some unis.

I'm thinking of applying to:

Newcastle
Warwick
Southampton
Bristol
Liverpool (a punt, I think they said they required more than what I have above)

Any tips? It's been *so* long since I last applied through UCAS for my first degree (10 years!) the prospect of a personal statement and interviews is pretty daunting.
Reply 275
Original post by adsyrah

Uni wise, I got a 2:1 in Computer Science and Maths in Manchester, so no life sciences, but I understand that's not important to some unis.

I'm thinking of applying to:

Newcastle
Warwick
Southampton
Bristol
Liverpool (a punt, I think they said they required more than what I have above)

Liverpool and Bristol only accept life sciences degrees.
Reply 276
Original post by Eight
Do you stand a better chance of being called to interview if you have a degree from a more prestigious university?

To my knowledge, there is no evidence to suggest this.

There is in many GEM courses a correlation between the prestige of the University you have a degree from and getting a place on the course, but there are many possible explanations for this.

Personally I like the Nottingham/SGUL method - meet the GAMSAT cut off and the academic requirements and you get an interview (unless you've got literally no work experience whatsoever).

Nice and transparent.
Reply 277
Can someone please answer my query?
Reply 278
Original post by Facebook
Can someone please answer my query?

Sorry I don't know anything about the Scottish Highers, but my advice would be to contact all the medical schools you want to apply to and ask them their opinion. If none of them will accept you, then make a list of the next 4 med schools you'd consider and keep going from there....

Hope it all works out well for you!
Reply 279
My GCSEs are atrocious.

Im kind of in the same situation as you. Atrocious a levels, B in biology, C in chemistry and C in mathematics. Predicted first in biomed science from Sheffield Uni.
UKCAT 752.5 though :smile:

But still i have the idea that my bad a levels might affect my application...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending